what is the"correct" definition of an Irish Sports Horse?

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
I was being technical
tongue.gif

But Yes idxtb
smile.gif

Flame_

Visit site
Ooh, good question. I've got two registered Irish Sports horse, and both are at least half foreign bred. They were both bred in Ireland though.

Traditionally its supposed to be the Irish warmblood

ID=coldblood x TB=hotblood

But I think its really anything of known-ish breeding, from Ireland, over 14.2.

Just a guess though.
wink.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
Our registered ISH's have only Irish Draught and TB in their breeding. We do have a couple of others who are unregistered but still classed as Irish Sports Horses. Their breeding is anyone's guess!

dieseldog

Visit site
one with a green irish passport.

ISH aren't IDxTB anymore - Cavalier Royale, influential ISH Stallion is actually a Holsteiner.

Rollin

Visit site
I asked the same question at ISH Stand at Lion D'Angers last month. the lady told me that horses had to have ID in their pedigree

If that is the case what is a British Sport Horse?

ladyt25

Visit site
We get loads of people insuring 'Irish Sports Horses' and I honestly bet half of them are just TBs that just happento have come from/bred in Ireland!

I also would assum it to be a ID x TB but i don't think a lot of them actually are. I mean do you get many skewbald TBs or IDs cos we get a heck of a alot of coloured/skewbald Irish Sport horses!

niko

Visit site
That is a good question i am from Ireland and have 2 sport horses one a idxtb and a tbxconn. Both have green passports and i want the conn x graded. When i rang the horse board they said that the 'traditional' (ie. many moons ago was a conn x tb, more recently to get bigger stronger 'type' horses they crossed the 'id') please dont berate me if im wrong this is what i was told in a long discussion!
Both are pretty much the same the conn x being slightly lighter but in respect of conformation and stamina and hunting they could go all day

RLD

Visit site
I had a connemara that was classed as an irish sports horse - because it was registered with the Irish Horse Board.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If bred in the UK, and registered with the Irish Draught Horse Society of Great Britain, an IDSH has to have proven ID breeding - as in:

Sport Horse Register:

SHR (Sport Horse Register)
For stallions (with proven Irish Draught breeding in their pedigree) that pass the SHR conformation inspection and pass the veterinary inspection.
For progeny by SHR or RID stallions out of non-ID mares, or out of identified SHR or ID mares by stallions (other than G2/G3ID or G2/G3SH) registered with a recognised Breed Society. (G2/G3 are for stallions that fail one or both parts of grading - their progeny are excluded.)

In the past, ISH horses had to be by a stallion approved by the Irish Horse Board. Now, Horse Sport Ireland (the revamped IHB) is planning to DROP grading altogether!