What is the 'kindest' bit?

Denzalwood

Visit site
Straight bar rubber Mullen mouth is pretty kind imo, you can bend it in half with your own hands with ease, Horses do chew them sometimes though :p

Petalpoos

Visit site
No bit at all, try it you might be supprised.

Pastie2 - I tried a Dr Cooks for a while and actually my horse was fine in it, although I could not get her in an outline in it, biggest problem was she is a real piglet and she would randomly stock her head down and eat! (Not what you think :-0 I have been riding for 45 years but my 65 kilos does not win over her 600!)

Tickles

Visit site
Sidepull bridle... i.e. no bit, nothing as severe as a hackamore can be and no all round head pressure like a Dr Cooks/similar either.

But if answering the question as it was probably meant I'd guess a well-fitting straight bar rubber bit. With loose rings and quiet hands. In most cases. Obviously it depends what suits the horse in question.

Rosie Round The Hills

Visit site
This may be a controversial choice, but I ride Rosie in a Waterford, after having done some bit-changes in our first season hunting. I've kept it in this summer and having reflected on it many times, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably more comfortable for her than any other bits I've got.

As with all bits - if used incorrectly by a rider with unkind hands - it can cause pain. But that's not how I use it.

Enfys

Visit site
How long is a piece of string? :(

I honestly believe that there isn't one style/family of bit that is the kindest, so many variables to consider, and therefore dependent on the horse and rider.

I am quite sure many of us have seen mouths bruised (and bloody) from a snaffle and a hard pulling horse out hunting, jumping, whatever. If a pelham (whatever) works for one particular horse and he is happy then that is the kindest bit for that horse.

JackyandRosie, I never quite figure out why people seem to have such a problem with waterfords, I have had many horses prefer them over other bits. Anyway, forget what others say or think, I reckon if your horse is happy and you happy and are in control then that is all that matters. :)

Last edited:

Izzwizz

Visit site
This may be a controversial choice, but I ride Rosie in a Waterford, after having done some bit-changes in our first season hunting. I've kept it in this summer and having reflected on it many times, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably more comfortable for her than any other bits I've got.

As with all bits - if used incorrectly by a rider with unkind hands - it can cause pain. But that's not how I use it.

Completely agree with this, I use one on both my horses and they go beautifully in them. Its especially good for my gelding who had a habit of grabbing the bit between his teeth and leaning on it. He doesnt do this anymore and is as light as a feather in the school now.

Denzalwood

Visit site
On an added note, if you had to use a more severe bit it wouldn't stop there, I'd only use it as a training aid to eventually return to a more kinder bit, everything we use on our Friends are afterall only an extension of ourselves to promote a union to hopefully work in harmony with us.

wellsat

Visit site
I've always tried to avoid single jointed bits believing that they were uncomfortable for the horse and caused a nutcracker action.

After trying a number of expensive bits including a Sprenger duo and a NS trans angled lozenge with a filet baucher I've found that G goes best in a plain old D ring copper roller with a single joint. It might not be as "kind" on paper but he certainly seems to prefer it. Wierdo!

bumblelion

Visit site
I do think it's down to the individual horse also. I'm soon to bring my TB back into work after a year off and he will be in a pelham to start with and will gradually get back to a loose ring french link (as he's very strong at times) however my ID giant who has also had a year off will go straight into a snaffle.

Brambridge04

Visit site
After reading on here about single joints, i went from a full cheek single joint, to a full cheek with a lozenge, and she HATED it, yanked reins, reluctant to go forwards.

Popped old single joint back in, sweet heart again!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
How long is a piece of string? :(

I honestly believe that there isn't one style/family of bit that is the kindest, so many variables to consider, and therefore dependent on the horse and rider.
I reckon if your horse is happy and you happy and are in control then that is all that matters. :)

Exactly!

It depends very much on the mouth conformation of the individual horse. Horses with fat tongues cannot accommodate thick bits, those with low palates cannot accommodate ported bits, etc, etc.
The best 'person' to ask is your horse, he will tell you if the bit is comfortable or not.
Of course, in rough hands, no bit will be comfortable.

alext

Visit site
I'm agreeing with a few others there is no kindest bit !! It is the bit your horse is happy and goes best in!!
My first pony taught me this,he hates snaffles and i tries alot but we just ended up in a fight of wills and obviously this wasnt good I also tried bitless but honestly all that pressure round his head (was a hackamore) and on his nose, I wasn't comfortable with just like standing in my stirrups to stop!!
I must admit i personally have a hate for gags and think there seriously severe and really shouldn't be used unless you know what your doing (said pony would bolt in his three ring seriously over bitted)
He did however go very nicely in his straight bar Pelham and controversially single rein!i guess he just liked the smallest of hints .like he wanted to be asked not told to stop and preferred that combination of pressure ?! But it was what he liked and what worked
for him understandably won't work for all. But the big everything must go in a snaffle thing does now annoy me!
My mare I had in a French link,it wasn't till i looked in her mouth whilst she was wearing on day how uncomfortable it looked and how would I like that in mouth!! She is currently in a Myler snaffle which she has more respect for than her Myler Pelham (with double reins) essentially your horse will tell you what the mildest bit for them is :)

Swift08

Visit site
Surely it is down to what suits the horse and what the person at the end of the reins is like? I've seen a horse come back from a ride (a RS horse) with cuts at the side of its mouth because that particular rider was heavy handed yet he was actually very stoppable in his snaffle. I know horses who hate particular mouthpieces, for instance Pharaoh would not tolerate any type of metal in his mouth so it was kinder for him to be in a happy mouth. At the end of the day each horse is an individual and what suits one may not suit another :)