What is the law on horses and pavements ?

Polos Mum

Visit site
Just taken a mouthful from the village NIMBY because I had my 7hh Shetland being ridden by my 2.5 y/o old on the pavement (just round a blind bend where there are lots of parked cars and the road is narrow) normally on the road.

I know the law probably says you can't ride on the pavement - but is there any common sense over ride for safety - especially for children?

I was speechless at the time that someone could be so rude in such an simple situation ! But I'd like to be armed with facts next time.

Equi

Visit site
Unfortunately it is illegal, for any horse. Its a catch 22 though, on the road you get yelled at and possibly hit by people passing, but on the path you dont get anyone slowing down and its illegal. In very extenuating circumstances you won't get done for it, but if police went by you can get in trouble. They are more likley to ask you just to get off, but if you are causing havoc you would be cautioned probably.

Polos Mum

Visit site
thanks - the pony is smaller than the dog she had and we were walking slowing in control - local drivers are really quite good, just on that bend they don't see you and they are doing 30 mph on effectively single track road (because of the parked cars).

I'd happy take a police caution than scrape my daughter off the road.

Shame nothing I can say to the village pain in the backside - I'll stick to ignoring her.

Equi

Visit site
Well technically you can report her for abuse, but i dont think in this case it would do anything for you considering where you were (even though i know it was safer, and i would have done the same!)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Yes it's illegal for a horse to be ridden on a pavement but there is no way a small child on a shetland with her mother would ever be reported or cautioned for doing it. Common sense would prevail, Police have many more serious matters to deal with & this matter is a to keep a young child safe so they would turn a blind eye.

As for the person moaning about it, forget it, don't respond & just continue what your doing. :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
bloody hell there really is allways one person who just cant resist the urge to be outraged or offended at someone enjoying themselves..miserable old bag! What could be nicer than a little person out for a walk with their mum and pony?

Pebble101

Visit site
Yes it's illegal for a horse to be ridden on a pavement but there is no way a small child on a shetland with her mother would ever be reported or cautioned for doing it. Common sense would prevail, Police have many more serious matters to deal with & this matter is a to keep a young child safe so they would turn a blind eye.

As for the person moaning about it, forget it, don't respond & just continue what your doing. :)

Should it matter whether it is to keep a child or an adult safe?

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Ignore the NIMBY...if she wants to make a fool of herself by phoning the police..let her!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I do understand that you want to keep your child safe but size does not mean anything to a lot of people and there are a lot of people who are scared of horses so having to walk past one on a pavement could be terrifying to them (even a small pony).

If the road is that narrow with parked cars etc then do cars not have to slow down to pass?

"Footpaths and pavements

The Highway Code refers to the legal requirement that a person MUST NOT take a horse onto a footpath or pavement. This legal requirement is set out in the Highways Act 1935 which makes it a criminal offence to wilfully ride or lead or drive a horse on a footpath or causeway by the side of a road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers." http://www.inbrief.co.uk/animal-law/highway-code-horse-riders.htm

Pedantic

Visit site
Yes let them get the Police out, while they are there they can deal with the cyclists all over the pavement with no lights in the dark and the people throwing litter everywhere, also while there they can sort out the traffic flying past horse riders at stupid speeds.

I as an adult, and being that so many drivers including driving instructors seems to be total Rick Heads, I will take the safest option, if that means stepping on the pavement for a few metre's then so be it, I ride in the Bus lanes and use the cycle tracks to stay out the way of traffic, I have paid for them over and over, I will politely move out the way when a bike or bus comes, always take the safest option.

When ever I get some total nobody ask me should I be riding on/along here or whatever, I "ALWAYS" ask who they are what their name is over and over until I get an answer, then I will ask them
to point out the blade of grass or piece of Tarmac they "actually own" and I will avoid treading on it, if my Po then drops out a big steamy poo all the better, icing on the cake.

Anyone that knows me, knows better than to get me started, last old busy body ended up apologizing to me after I very firmly "educated them".

NOFA

ROG

Visit site
I imagine its like cyclists - a blind eye is turned if they use the pavements and do not inconvenience anyone else .......

WeeLassie

Visit site
Im assuming your horse didnt do a dump in front of the complainers house? As a pedestrian, as well as a horse rider, I find it very annoying to be walking along the village pavement in the dark in decent shoes and find Id stepped in a dog poop- let alone a horse one!

stormox

Visit site
Yes I do agree, Weelassie, and Pedantic- surely you aren't so inconsiderate to think its OK to let your horse do a big mess on a pavement? That makes horse riders look arrogant, like we couldnt care less for "mere pedestrians" - which is an attitude surely we shouldnt be encouraging?
I hope it was a tongue in cheek statement.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yes let them get the Police out, while they are there they can deal with the cyclists all over the pavement with no lights in the dark and the people throwing litter everywhere, also while there they can sort out the traffic flying past horse riders at stupid speeds.

I as an adult, and being that so many drivers including driving instructors seems to be total Rick Heads, I will take the safest option, if that means stepping on the pavement for a few metre's then so be it, I ride in the Bus lanes and use the cycle tracks to stay out the way of traffic, I have paid for them over and over, I will politely move out the way when a bike or bus comes, always take the safest option.

When ever I get some total nobody ask me should I be riding on/along here or whatever, I "ALWAYS" ask who they are what their name is over and over until I get an answer, then I will ask them
to point out the blade of grass or piece of Tarmac they "actually own" and I will avoid treading on it, if my Po then drops out a big steamy poo all the better, icing on the cake.

Anyone that knows me, knows better than to get me started, last old busy body ended up apologizing to me after I very firmly "educated them".

NOFA

^^^Precisely this ^^^

Suggestion: put the NIMBY on a jumpy TB and let her ride that stretch of road (I'm sure that someone on here could oblige LOL), then ask HER to decide whether OP was "right" or "wrong" in letting the kiddie on the shetland ride on the pavement.

Alternatively OP ride a bicycle along the pavement and lead the pony that way: then no-one would turn a hair coz it is what bleddi cyclists do all the time :(

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Yes I do agree, Weelassie, and Pedantic- surely you aren't so inconsiderate to think its OK to let your horse do a big mess on a pavement? That makes horse riders look arrogant, like we couldnt care less for "mere pedestrians" - which is an attitude surely we shouldnt be encouraging?
I hope it was a tongue in cheek statement.

Im assuming your horse didnt do a dump in front of the complainers house? As a pedestrian, as well as a horse rider, I find it very annoying to be walking along the village pavement in the dark in decent shoes and find Id stepped in a dog poop- let alone a horse one!

I quite agree, but someone shall be along presently to harangue us for failing to appreciate the honour that is bestowed on us by the depositing of said sacred offering. Because (according to popular entitlement) horse dung is somehow "different" to dog/fox/cat/jogger, etc. Because it's just grass, well grass and whatever wormer, you know the stuff that might kill your dog, that you have to wear protective gloves when using, and that must not be introduced to waterways. That stuff.

Anyhow, we're all supposed to tug our forelocks, grovel, and chuck the steaming heap straight on the roses, don't you know? Ignore the fact that you need well-rotted manure and not fresh, and for pity's sake don't argue that you don't own any roses! Bad peasant - go install a rose garden at once! Don't, under any circumstances, protest about anyone having to get a pram or wheelchair along the pavement through said manure...it's special manure, remember! So special that two weeks later, it's still there, dried out and scattered the length of the street, rotting away a little more with each shower of rain, but still there...:mad:

Returning to the OP, needs must, in my opinion. I have no issue with horses on pavements provided they don't cause injury or damage, and a Shetland would be quite adorable to see :)

Pebble101

Visit site
^^^Precisely this ^^^

Alternatively OP ride a bicycle along the pavement and lead the pony that way: then no-one would turn a hair coz it is what bleddi cyclists do all the time :(

To be fair there is a cycle path around here that is about 2 miles long and it's on the pavement. Cyclists don't use it as it's too bumpy so they still use the road. If I rode along there I would use it (bloody fast straight stretch of road).

Pedantic

Visit site
Country building damn housing/industrial estates/commercial parks and halal fawning mcdonalds kentucky ad nauseum so called "food" outlets EVERYWHERE robbing us of riding routes bringing useless drivers phoning and texting with not enough brain cells to slow down past horse's either ridden or walked with the excuse they "may not be horsey" emitting cancerous crap all day long, and we should worry about going on a pavement for a few metres to be safe, well tell you what, you get "everyone" else to abide by the highway code and then maybe I won't pop on the path next time I hear a total anus with their I have a little willy syndrome so I have to have a loud noisy exhaust roaring along showing no sighs of slowing down coming towards me, OK. NOFA.

No I don't let my Po poo on the pavement, and if on the road and I know he is going to do one, if no traffic coming I move him into the center of the road so as not to be outside someones drive.

Last edited:

Princess16

Visit site
The law is an a s s (no pun intended),

We get flamin cyclists on pavements here! I would not give it a second thought if I saw a little girl on a cute Shettie as OP says let the old bat report you - better a caution than a fatality .

Pedantic - you is scary :D

Overread

www.flickr.com
People like this are unlikely to actually report you to the police; they'll just give you a lecture at every chance they can get.

Those fewer who do report to the police will likely already be known to the police as a general time-waster and thus only the most serious of their reports will be properly looked into (in so far as the law allows the police to exercise judgement to not go out and investigate).

I doubt the police would care one bit and in the case of road VS pavement most sane people would say go on the pavement.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much OP, there is a defence under The Highways Act 1835 whereby a footpath/pavement may be used in an emergency. And ultimately you would only be issued with a fixed penalty notice, but I cannot see it coming to that.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just taken a mouthful from the village NIMBY because I had my 7hh Shetland being ridden by my 2.5 y/o old on the pavement (just round a blind bend where there are lots of parked cars and the road is narrow) normally on the road.

I know the law probably says you can't ride on the pavement - but is there any common sense over ride for safety - especially for children?

I was speechless at the time that someone could be so rude in such an simple situation ! But I'd like to be armed with facts next time.

Why should children be any different?? Not one law for kids one for adults
Our yard is on a blind bend we bunch up together all with hi viz and move out close to white line, all with our arms out and when we get to the point of dissapearing from cars behind - we trot on. Though this still does not stop the idiots trying to over take even with out arms out even startinmg to cross over. They get some glares and if they are the real dimwits which has started or proceeding to over take - they get get coments like * what do you think I am doin?? airing my armpits * learn riders indications!!!!!!!!

If your leading the shetland on the correct side with a hi viz tabard on that should be enough, though i would question taking a 2 1/2 year ol out solo on the roads without another leader on the other side of the pony. I personally would not take a 2 1/2 year old out on my own as if the child started to pannic and scream I would either have to let go of pony or let child hit the deck neither is ideal.

Make sure you have plenty of hi viz on and a second leader there to grab the child while your controling the pony

Last edited:

Pedantic

Visit site
Jeeves my regular Butler who I always have on standby to be on the other side of my pony when out walking, he was busy cleaning the family silverware, my other Butler Horace, well it was his day ooorf and had his own thing to to that day...