What is the make of that trailer?!

Jane H

community.webshots.com
I was talking to a girl at a comp this weekend and moaning that I can't tow my rather hefty boy with my 2.0L golf because the combined weight of him and the smallest ifor Williams would be 1300kg.. which is right on the 85% limit and my car is not 4x4. She told me about a lightweight trailer that is just about 500kg, and that costs about £2,500 new?

I'm sure it has french or france or something like that in the title...

Does anyone know what she was talking about??

Thanks!

Jane x

_jetset_

Visit site
The only thing I would say about a light weight trailer is that perhaps it will not be very secure on the motorway because it is so light?? I may be wrong, but I think I would rather pull a heavier one.

Gingernags

Visit site
We have a Cheval Liberte if thats the one you are thinking of? But as its a 2 horse 2003Xl for 2 x 17hh its 800K weight wise and was £3400 new. They do a single though *I think*, have a look for JSW trailers in Northallerton, they have a website, and they sell them.

Jane H

community.webshots.com
I think you're right but I actually only need it for local journeys where I can go at my own pace... If I was getting into serious competitions or anything I think it would have to be a waggon.

_jetset_

Visit site
Ok... just wanted to warn you as I drove a lighter one and didn't feel at all safe in it.

Sure it would be perfect for what you want though.

Jane H

community.webshots.com
Yip - that's it!

Oh the cheval was the french bit ha ha!
grin.gif

Thanks very much, I must go back to the page and devour all the details!!

J x

OWLIE185

Visit site
Sorry but a Golf is not suitable for towing a horse trailer as it is far too light, does not have sufficient braking power and has too short a wheelbase. You would be asking for an accident and would be putting your, other motorists and your horses life at risk.

If you want to tow you need a heavy four wheel drive vehicle.

burtie

Visit site
Sorry to be so harsh. but I cannot believe you are considering towing a horse with a Golf, I wouldn't even tow a sheltand with one. Totally unsafe and an accident waiting to happen.
mad.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I tow a Bateson Derby 44 - very light - 650 k. I just paid 1500 for one that is 8 years old, excellent condition, new floor, ramp and hitch dampner, fully serviced and warranted from a dealer. It has 7' head room and you can take out the partition for a larger pony/horse and put in a single back bar.

It tows very well, though I don't go fast or that far, hence why I use my car.

I only tow my little cob who currently is less than 400k. As he grows he may go to 500K.

My car is a family saloon and is capable of safely towing and braking with 1200ks.

Personally I would not use a golf - either consider buying a 4 x 4 or a large family saloon type car. If you do use a car, you will still need to look at a light trailer and one horse to be safe.

Jane H

community.webshots.com
Okay thanks guys getting the message now, and yes as you have metnioned it some of the help has sounded a bit harsh.

There is a big difference between stupidity and lack of information. Now that I am appropriately, if rather bluntly informed I would not dream of towing with a golf, however that information was not available to me previously.

Thanks

Jane

Theresa_F

Visit site
Hence my suggestion of maybe using a larger family saloon car as I do. If you only tow one horse and get a light trailer then this an alternative.

I am fine with Chancer and the Derby, but have to get a lorry for my clydie.

Is a larger car a possibility? I had to compromise as a 4 x 4 was not practical as I have to do about 200 miles a week and can only run one car. This is why I bought a very light small trailer - but I did my homework first. I am actually 100k under the recommended tow limit for a braked trailer. I also would not tow a bad traveller with a car - luckily Chancer does not move and is only 14.2 - to make 15.1.

This link may help you.

http://www.ntta.co.uk/default.htm

Jane H

community.webshots.com
Thanks Theresa,

I will def have a look at that. Was having a bad day and the trailer idea was supposed to cheer me up ha ha!

Jane (PS I agree that happiness is DEF a big hairy horse!)

Theresa_F

Visit site
Know how you feel - I wanted to be out and about, but couldn't change the car or have need for an expensive to run horsebox. Hence I am so pleased with my little Bateson.

Other great thing is that I can move it by myself to park it in a tight space as it is so light. It also helps having a small cob who travels well.

If he grows more than 500k I will then have to consider my options as we will be close to the 1200 limit - must stop feeding him
grin.gif

Yes, you cannot beat a hairy old clydie with one eye.

Hope you can find something that suits and is safe for both of you.