What is the Queen riding on?

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site

Puddleduck

Visit site
[SUP][/SUP]"Whilst Lord Vestry and Pendry wore hard hats for the ride, the Queen wore only a light, floral headscarf."

Good old Daily Fail.....one's got a beagler, the other's wearing a bowler, at least they got the headscarf bit right

hobo

Visit site
Not going to get involved in hat debate but just to say what wonderful pictures and super ponies. Maybe I should have got myself a fell for my old age and not bred a stroppy warmblood to see me into my 70's!!

luckyoldme

Visit site
88 and still able to get on a horse, that's pretty impressive.
As for the hat thing, each to their own really but I know im not going to be telling her off!

Greylegs

Visit site
Saw these pictures in the paper yesterday and was wondering what the queen is riding on - not the Fell pony, the sheepskin saddle thing! It looks very comfortable although I know I wouldn't be able to keep it clean.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-second-time-week-s-not-wearing-hard-hat.html

Looks great and I echo the thoughts of others who think it's amazing that Her Maj still rides confidently at her age. I somehow don't think she will have to worry about having to keep it clean. I'm sure there's someone on the royal staff who does that for her.!!

As for the hat thing, I can't remember ever seeing The Queen riding in a hat. She always wears a headscarf. Go Maj I say.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I love that she's wearing jodhs and little boots. It's like she's reliving her pony mad youth, joddie boots and no hat :biggrin3: can imagine her getting of and throwing arms round Emma 'you are the best pony EVER' :biggrin3:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's a full sheepskin saddle cover, I have one for one of my Portuguese saddles. The Queen has never worn a hat; I like the Queen :)

Feival

Visit site
If I live to 88, look that good and am still riding, I'll be bloody happy! Each to there own on the hat issue.

Jo1987

Visit site
Love to see these photos of her and her lovely fell ponies, I hope I'm still able to ride when I'm her age!
I did a bit of googling, it looks like she's been riding on those sheepskin covers since the 60's at least, so I'm guessing they're saddle covers rather than bareback pads.
Whilst googling I also found these photos - I think they show a love of horses that most of us find familiar.

image_zpsuevac2gv.jpg

image_zpsgdo7noij.jpg

Orangehorse

Visit site
I bet that is really comfortable, even a sheepskin seat saver is nice! It is incredible to think that she is nearly 90 and is still riding.

NZJenny

Visit site
It's a full sheepskin saddle cover, I have one for one of my Portuguese saddles. The Queen has never worn a hat; I like the Queen :)

Me too. Loved that she always rode Trooping of the Colour side saddle. In another universe, she would just be another crazy horse lady.

googol

Visit site
I like the queen too, more so because she loves horses lol she also seems to love dogs so I feel I really relate to her lol
Each to their own re the hat and I know she doesn't have to wear one but I find it bizarre! If I get to 89 and can still ride I won't jeopardise that by having a fall without a hat!
I want a sheepskin saddle saver now lol if it's good enough for her... :p
(Maybe it velcros her on and that's y she doesn't wear a hat lol oj)

Cobbytype

Visit site
I used to make cosmetics in a 'previous life' and HM bought some massage oil from me to treat her sore wrist, following a fall from a horse. I'm pleased to see it worked as well for her aches and pains as I said it would and that she's still riding all these years later :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Looks like a lovely soft cover, whatever it is.

I'd be more interested though, in how the heck she gets up ON the horse in the first place....... would love to see her mounting block, coz by gad if I'm still able to put a leg across at her age I'll probably be needing a winch, block, tackle, the works.

Yes agree with someone else who's said that in "another life" she'd be a cranky old dear - she'd probably have kept a lot of horses, took in stray dogs, put a tenner on a horse occasionally - and didn't give a stuff about convention and rode without a hat. God bless 'er I say.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

As for the hat thing, I can't remember ever seeing The Queen riding in a hat. She always wears a headscarf. Go Maj I say.

I'm with you. Headscarfs wouldn't really be 'me', but I've never ridden in a hard hat, and never will. A cloth cap suffices, my head my choice.

As a small child, not only did we not have 'hard-hats', we didn't have saddles either. I (we) had some crashing falls as children, but we bounced and hopped back on. We had ponies then which would change direction on a whim and put in a stop too! We somehow learned how to stay on, mostly! :)

Alec.

MargotC

Visit site
What a grand old lady. Hope I am half as fabulous and still riding when I hit a respectable age. Rather good publicity for the Fell breed, too.

I do wear a hard hat but then I most definitely do not have royal hair.