What is the wierdest or most bizarre thing ...

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
...you've seen horses do?

Mine (following on from 'breeds I don't like' post) has to be seeing a line of six temporary stables moving across a car park (A very bored heavy horse was in one, the others were empty).

That has to be followed closely by a fell pony I'd tied up loosely outside a pub grabbing a labrador by the collar, hoisting it in the air and shaking it - lots of distressed bow-wowing
grin.gif

tinker512

Visit site
Cob I used to ride manage to wiggle his way out of his rug in the field without undoing anything or breaking or ripping anything either.Was most bizarre!!

Chex

Visit site
Chex has a thing about water - he loves it! I see him roll in a foot deep puddle in his field suprisingly often, usually when its pretty cold! Unfortunately he also rolls in water when I'm riding too
crazy.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Watching a friends eventer ditch her, bolt straight past its home and friends and carry on till he got to the pub... Theres some Irish in him!

My mare now with *inlovewithanewforest* Used to call me from my yard to home when she wanted me.... more hay... a cuddle... the fencing just tangled its self onto her.... I'm hungry.. Your late... Where are you... What time do you call this...

My new lads picked it up too
crazy.gif

mat

www.atmosphere-equestrian.com
I was once out hacking with a friend who was on her mare, when we came across an old matress that had been dumped at the side of the road. The mare jumped onto it and started attacking it with front feet and teeth!! VERY wierd

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Oh and watching the cob that rufused to move walk up and pop thoose extra long electic fence posts when she pleased... After a week with the lads, it quick wore off and she jumped back into her field and stayed there happily since!

izzyxxx

Visit site
we went the pub as you do and we had just get a new kitten so we were talking about that normally my pony stands and sleeps but not this time i still haven't figured ouit how she did it and she is only 14hh one minute i was sitting on a bench the next she had got the bench clean off the floor with me still on it flying towards a people carrier!!thank god i rolled off the end and grabed hold or else some one wouldn't have been very happy

oh and another one is when my pony same one as above sits on your lap when you sit in her stable(she will break my legs one day!)

and finale one not quite as bizarre but i will put a video of it on hear asap my chestnut pony wont eat his hay just rolls in his then hers then walk around in circles to make sure he has the best pile!!! hes a bit thick

Bossanova

Visit site
We had one with a brain tumour a few years ago and he would do the weirdest things. He'd pick things up and move them, quite deliberately- he'd pile things like cones etc up. He would also undo clips on anything he could find- his rugs, other horses rugs, gates etc.
As the tumour grew his behaviour got more and more odd- it was almost an intelligence, very strange!

Marbs

community.webshots.com
That scares me Boss, that's exactly what the special one used to do
crazy.gif

He never ceased to amaze me. Had to be clipped into his stable as bolts didn't stay done up for a minute. Once undid the top and bottom bolts of his stable door and pinched another horse's brekkie in the time it took me to go and grab his dinner from round the other side.
He was most bizzare. Would pick up anything he could, so had to tie him far away from anything that could be reached and unattached within any stretch of the imagination. He once investigated a carrier bag and picked it up by the mobile phone inside it...was extremely strange, never forget wrestling it from him (and when he realised I almost had it, so crunched it then just let go of the bag as if to say, "there you go Mum, all done"). Once he managed to untie himself, pick up the ash tray from the table(well flask lid) and then just stood there with his mouth opened as he decided he didn't like fag butts and wet tea bags and he wanted them taken out of his mouth! The coffee table always had a strange allure, and banging the table at one point so that mugs around the table top fall off and break is good fun. Will never forget him.

beh

Visit site
a friend i know sometimes is given ex racehorses to tetrain, well he had one horse and it had a thing about bicycles!!!
if it saw one, even if it was a couple of fields away, it would bolt and attack the bicycles, funny now but at time very dangerous
laugh.gif

polyphonic

Visit site
as un believable as it sounds, my horse keeps taking his own rug off over his head!! this has happened quite a few times now. he's pretty intellgent! a year or so ago if u gave him a bodybrush with a handle he wud brush his legs

sunsation

Visit site
TT picks stuff up all the time. He cleans the bathtub when I'm refilling it by scrubbing it with the brush, and also has a habit of trying to destroy anything and everything. He tried to eat the vets car when he was parked in the paddock treating another horse, and tried to eat my car when walking past it. The other day, he picked up an empty water bucket and bashed it against the fence until it no longer resembled a bucket.

He also likes rolling things backwards down hills with his back legs. He has this look of absolute concentration on his face as he rolls his bucket.

A turtle found its way into the paddock once as well. Poor thing probably got quite traumatised by T, rolling him over with his nose and forelegs.

He's an odd one...

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Little man used to enjoy playing football. Since he's gone home I've heard he's been chasing pedestrians (footpath next to his field), and still loves his football.
smile.gif

There was a pony at the riding school who used to trip you up when you lead him. He would deliberately stick his front leg out to the side and almost smile when you fell over. Apparently he still does it.

spooks

Visit site
i used to have a lusitano who would wait until you walked past his stable and hurl whatever 'weapon' available ,usually his feed bowl, at you,he also used to untie his haynet and chuck that over the door when he had finished.
a pony we had who lived out used to finish his feed and sod off over the field with the bucket if you wasnt holding onto it, not funny in the middle of winter when its pitch black !
current pony,(welsh,say no more) will turn buckets upside down and stamp on them, she unbolts her stable door just to prove she can,doesnt go anywhere just stands there with the door open..daughter put a bale of straw in her stable once ,came to get a knife to cut string went back seconds later and pony has front feet up on the bale pretending she is 16.3 and not 13.3! she also picks things up and disappears with them,usually the water butt in the field once she has emptied it first..shes definately a character that one!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I've not seen horses do anything particularly weird... BUT I read in the Horse magazine (American version) about carnivorous horses. I kid you not. Horses that had killed and eaten rabbits, a goat and some chickens. Not by accident, but chased them down and trampled them, then killed them.
Tis possible to google the articles, but you have to be subscribed to read them online.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine sound pretty normal compared to that lot! Three times now Ive arrived to find my feed room door wide open and feed bags everywhere (basically demolished inside!). The feed room door is basically a stable door but with those catch things on the top door (just push it up to release). I sort of guessed who it'd be and he proved me right only last week! I watched him go up to the door and flick his nose several times until the catch came undone, then he nosey-d his way to open the top door, luckily the bottom door was bolted shut but it had been the last few times so given the chance he must undo that too!

Otherwise one of my natives ALWAYS rolls as soon as I let him go after being ridden. When he rolls, he ALWAYS gets up then turns round and goes down the other way, and then does it another time. He always does it so it involves going down 3 times. Weird. Think he's got OCD.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
A shire we used to own had a bit of a thing about ripping off massive branches and carrying them around in his mouth.

We went to his field one day to find that a family had parked their car in the gateway to the field (despite the 'no parking' sign) while they went blackberrying up the lane. The shire, when we arrived, was busy rearranging the roof of their car with a huge stick, the roof had about ten enormous dents in it, he'd also ripped off the windscreen wipers and a wing mirror. What a vandal, he was worse than a Longleat monkey....

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
my friend was grooming her clydesdale yearling and when she turned round he had picked up an axe (goodness knows how he found it) and was swinging it around by its string!
scary

Theresa_F

Visit site
Finding Chancer either halfway up the dog agility A frame or on top of a pile of shaving bales stacked three high biting a hole out of each bale. Think he is part goat the way he climbs.

He can also lie down and chew his willy - one very bendy horse.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
One of the horses where I used to work would let himself out of his stable then go to the hay barn get a bale of hay, drag it to another horses stable and put it right next to his door so they both could eat it!
He did this a few times and it was funny because otherwise he was quite an 'aloof' German dressage horse with not a lot of character
grin.gif
bless him!