What is this? any idea's?

Kristine

Visit site
My horse has been coming in over the last couple of days with gashes on his legs!
Here's some pic's:
IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

Photo-0055.jpg

Photo-0054.jpg

I have had some suggestions that it may be a dog/ fox as i have searched the fence line and there is nothing he could have caught it on! please help suggestions are more than welcome!

Skhosu

Visit site
Ouch! Any barbed wire in his field? How many days has it been happening? Try changing fields ASAP I would say, stop him getting more until you can see if there's any reason

loobylu

Visit site
Eeeeek personally I would remove him from the field till you find the culprit be it an inaminate object or otherwise. Could you t/o in boots for a bit as an alternative? I suspect someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you what sort of injury it is. Good luck finding out.

Kristine

Visit site
one happened about 4 days ago one yesturday one today!
The problem is the feild he was in untill about 2 weeks ago is on rest! i might have to keep him in
frown.gif

There is very minimal barbed wire but we checked it all! no blood no furr nothing!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Looks like wire cuts to me. My mare was attacked last year (while hacking) by a german shepherd dog. She got seven deep puncture wounds, but they looked nothing like your pics. Can you put electric fencing alongside the bit of wire in the field?

VikkiBP

Visit site
Mine has similar ones and no wire just post and rail and electric fencing ... weird... i think its the way they lay down... he gets it in the stable too at times

Tia

Visit site
One of my horses looked like this a couple of weeks ago. He did it on our post and rail fencing and there was no fur to be found, however I know he did it on the fence as I saw it happen.

Your horse looks like he has become caught up in fencing - typical scarring.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Looks like wire cuts or sharps bits off your fence. My mare got caught in the tiniest bit of wire that was in our old field and made a right mess similar cuts to yours but we has since moved. Is there any litter or rubbish in your field?

Patches

Visit site
Wonder if your boy has mites in his legs and is rubbing against fence posts where the wire is fasten to in order to scratch his itchiness.

Definately looks like wire cuts to me. We've had cows jump the fencing when they've come a bulling etc and they get very similar cuts to this. Old wire is a terrible source of infection too so please make sure they are thoroughly cleaned and tetanus is up to date. If his legs swell or he suddenly becomes lame you may need antibiotics (but then I'm sure you know that. I'm just ultra paranoid about cuts as my horse needed emergency surgery after a tiny innocuous scab on the back of her knee let infection in which settled on the tendon sheath...she'd have died if I had left the swelling to settle on it's own. Not trying to scare you or teach you to suck eggs. I had no idea before how dangerous little cuts can be, so be aware.)

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have had some suggestions that it may be a dog/ fox as i have searched the fence line and there is nothing he could have caught it on!

[/ QUOTE ]
No way - those are cuts not bites - search the fence line again (& the rest of the field!) would be my advice!

Kristine

Visit site
Wow thank you for all your suggestions!
I'll search the feild again and try and take pics of anything i think he MIGHT have cut it on!

tinatina

Visit site
hi my mare had cuts bit like that where someone hearded them through to another field then they let thier dogs loose and they got scared can i just say that if you dress it with the thick honey and vet wrap it it should heal very well as my mare only has very small scares now and thats 5weeks later i hope this helps
smile.gif