What is this headgear, please?

Snowfilly

Visit site
Yep one of those titanium masks. Meant to be calming because of the pressure I believe. Quite a few people using them locally for BS at county / agricultural shows.

Starzaan

Visit site
It's a titanium face mask. I was incredibly sceptical, but actually they definitely do work. A few of my liveries have used them to great effect.
Would never buy one myself, but for some they do seem to make a difference.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's a titanium face mask. I was incredibly sceptical, but actually they definitely do work. A few of my liveries have used them to great effect.
Would never buy one myself, but for some they do seem to make a difference.
That's interesting. Such a thing might actually potentially be helpful for my wonky mare - she can retain some tension around her poll and tmj area and chiro vet has recommended that she wears a poll warmer under her bridle. I already give her masseter muscles a gentle massage before work, as directed.

Hmm.

Starzaan

Visit site
That's interesting. Such a thing might actually potentially be helpful for my wonky mare - she can retain some tension around her poll and tmj area and chiro vet has recommended that she wears a poll warmer under her bridle. I already give her masseter muscles a gentle massage before work, as directed.

Hmm.
Maybe see if you can borrow one? I was SO sceptical but have definitely changed my mind now. I have seen them really work.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I read a thing by David Marlin on these liquid titanium hoods, he pointed out that titanium isn’t liquid at normal temperature’s and that basically it’s all a load of c***
I’ve never tried one so have no idea.

But the liquid titanium thing is just the registered trademark.
At no point in their info do they state it contains liquid titanium, as even with my basic science knowledge I know that's not possible.
It is however a smart material that works as a FIR material. There are plenty of other companies that use FIR technology, and there are some studies that have shown benefits.

I have never used one of these, but do use an FIR rug before riding in the winter, and that certainly helps. So can see the reasoning behind these masks, although I have no need for one.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There are places that will hire them out.
A bit hire bank near me hires them, so may be worth having a little look online to see if there is similar near you
Thanks for the suggestion :). I googled for hire options. I've got an XL with velcro straps and full ears coming for a 14 day trial. The full price I paid is already less than from other outlets. If I/we don't find it useful, then I return it and get a refund less £18 hire charge, which saves me the faff of selling it on if it's no good.

The hire place say they get less than 10% of the masks returned, which is encouraging.

This is all part of getting wonky mare as comfortable as she can be, and I'm on top of just about everything else!

ETA I've been notified that it's already in the post! I've only just placed the order.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
First impressions on the Fenwick hood with ears are favourable :).

Actually tbf, the very first impression was 'Oh heck, the XL isn't going to be large enough :rolleyes:' when I first tried it on out of the packet. Had I not had it on 14 days hire, I might have packed it back up and returned it. Wonky mare (16.1hh IDx) has a large but not huge head, she's in an OS size bridle.

It turned out that it fits her fine. It's well made out of a similar feeling material to my Back on Track stuff.

I would have preferred it to have a forelock hole.

Wonky mare approves. As I posted up thread, she can get tension in her poll and TMJ area, so this is for therapeutic purposes, rather than behavioural issues. I've been advised to ride her with a poll warmer.

I tried her in hand just with the hood and her regular bridle in to gauge her reaction and to check that the hood doesn't move around and threaten to cover her eyes - it doesn't, it stayed perfectly in place.

F84405F8-6D11-4CA4-B36D-FAB31126EECB.jpeg

15FC368F-FA67-4BB7-A77E-5A021F7CE787.jpeg

Afterwards, she was really soft and relaxed.

5349826A-93B3-4894-BDDB-DD2C89D4ABEE.jpeg

As a brucie bonus I tried it on the retired 21 yo but still spooky senior mare - she also approves. She takes a FS bridle, but the XL hood fitted her too.

E92711FD-2FF6-4654-BE5F-E5E3BD82551B.jpeg