what is this on her legs?

popsicle

Visit site
Lolly has what I can only describe as a waxy thing going on in patches down the lower part of her back legs. It doesn't appear to itch, nor is it sore, but you can scrape it off with your nails. If you scrub it with a wet brush, the hair comes out, as it does if you rub it hard. Any idea what it is? We have tried using hibiscrub and that helps a bit, but we can never get rid of it totally.
confused.gif

frazzled

Visit site
Does it feel bumpy when you run a hand over it? We had a pony that got something like that at this time of year and attributed it to a reaction to flies and/or sweat. Used to find hibiscrub worked and meticulous washing down after work and good fly control. He also used to get it a little bit on his face.

popsicle

Visit site
No, doesn't feel bumpy, but she does have a couple of similar "lumps of this stuff under her saddle area" they are lumpy, but seem to have the same greasy feel. On her legs it is almost as if candle wax has been dribbled down the front and the back, below her hocks.
confused.gif

jenh166

Visit site
is it on her cannons on the front of the back legs? i think if its the same as what my old horse had, its just grease (from sweat dripping down and collecting there). Will esp happen if you use back boots whan riding. I just used to really pick it all off (dont worry about the hair coming out as long as you dont see any raw patches or bleeding - if you see this, then what your horse has got is not the same as mine!). Then when his legs had none left on, I'd hibiscrub dailiy (really get your nails into it and gently rub to persuade any tough bits to loosen) - this should help!

popsicle

Visit site
Thanks. MMmm!! It is front and back of hind legs, mainly below hock level, but couple of bits above hock at the back. I don't use boots, but I guess it maybe, just maybe, could be where sweat has dripped down. I'll do as you suggest and see what happens. Its not on the front legs though.

cyearsley

Visit site
Think it may be Cannon Crud or Greasy Shins......if you do a Search on the forum on greasy shins it will pick up an old post where this was discussed, it attracted my attention as my boy has it on his hind legs.....very odd, hope this is what you're looking for.

popsicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Think it may be Cannon Crud or Greasy Shins......if you do a Search on the forum on greasy shins it will pick up an old post where this was discussed, it attracted my attention as my boy has it on his hind legs.....very odd, hope this is what you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, I have had a look at the posts and it almost certainly is Cannon Crud. I will try some of the treatments they recommend. I should have known someone on here could help.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Tnavas

Visit site
Give it a good wash with Nizeral shampoo - you can buy it from the chemist. Dilute with warm water and lather up well with a face cloth. Then leave to dry - Don't rinse.

embonaught

Visit site
I tried the Nizeral stuff and it worked really well. However, they keep it behind the counter at chemists so when you ask for it, don't say 'It's for my horse's legs' cos they won't sell you it! I speak from experience...

Tnavas

Visit site
OMG - That is really interesting - in NZ I can just pick it up off the shelf in the chemist.

I wonder why it is so restricted in UK.

Good to know the Nizeral worked - How long did it take?