What is this....Racking ??? Video inc

Enfys

Visit site
Yes, its the really hideous thing were the horse looks like a mechanical spider and they train it by maiming it.

These are Single footers, not those poor TWH's in the show ring.
If you look at the clip, you will see that the horse does not have long feet or keg shoes.

About Single-Footers:

http://www.rockinreverandranch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=118

Last week I rode a horse that racked like this and really, before you condemn it, you have to try it, or at least look in to it! I can vouch that the horse I rode, and the others in that barn were absolutely not trained by any sort of cruelty. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it is bad, open minds please. The horse I rode racked naturally, the only training he did was to get fit.

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
If you look at the clip, you will see that the horse does not have long feet or keg shoes.

About Single-Footers:

http://www.rockinreverandranch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=118

Last week I rode a horse that racked like this and really, before you condemn it, you have to try it, or at least look in to it! I can vouch that the horse I rode, and the others in that barn were absolutely not trained by any sort of cruelty. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it is bad, open minds please. The horse I rode racked naturally, the only training he did was to get fit.

In that comment I was referring to big lick horses, not the original video posted in this thread. You can see this if you follow the sequence of my comments.

Enfys

Visit site
Ok so next question apart from why are none of them wearing hats (grr), Their choicewhy do they sit so far back, almost on the Kidneys, with there legs stuck forward?That's the way the saddles are cut, they place you in that position, and remember, this is NOT Britain, things happen differently in other places.

It might interest you all to know the opinion many NA riders have of the British just as many, Why? How? What the flip are they doing? I get it in the ear every weekend

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
In that comment I was referring to big lick horses, not the original video posted in this thread. You can see this if you follow the sequence of my comments.

Oh my gosh, I am most frightfully sorry, how very silly of me.

Last edited:

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
Oh my gosh, I am most frightfully sorry, how very silly of me.

Helps to check before you leap in and condemn, I find. ;)

I wasn't condemning the practice in the original video – I'm not a total ignoramus. I was out at a harness racing meet only last month and I'm from a part of the world that's famous for its trotters.

Last edited:

Bay_Beasty

Visit site

About Single-Footers:

Thanks, I was really hoping someone would actually know properly, I am really glad it is not anything to do with TWH and yes I know, hats their choice :D. Do you have a pick of the saddles, I would imagine they don't have a back like ours and are flatter? What are they like to ride? is it smooth or jerky?

Enfys

Visit site
Thanks, I was really hoping someone would actually know properly, I am really glad it is not anything to do with TWH Awful practise, I hate the showing side of it as much as anyone, but TWH's are lovely horses. So kind and genuine, they'd have to be to put up with what they do. A neighbour has a huge palomino gelding that I ride out on sometimes whilst she bounces about on my diddy araband yes I know, hats their choice :D.
Remarkably few people ride with hats here, obviously most children and those competing in English classes, but many adults don't, strange, because most are red hot on having their kids wear helmets:confused:

Do you have a pick of the saddles, I would imagine they don't have a back like ours and are flatter?
No, no choice, I was just thrown up on a small saddle, bit odd after being used to riding western for a few years now.
Yes, you're right, they are very cut back, and low at the cantle, a little like a show saddle, usually with only a half panel too and the stirrup bars appear to be set back further too

What are they like to ride?
The horse I rode was beautifully schooled, only the merest twitch on the rein, he went by voice and weight commands, he was surprisingly smooth, I don't know why I was surprised as I find them all comfortable, I'm racking up experience on different breeds when I can beg a ride. Gaited horses stagger me everytime I sit on one, it is just SO incredibly different to a normally gaited horse. This one was so fast, I absolutely loved it, yet another type I would consider buying -if I could justify five figures!
:)..

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Thankyou Enfys. I would love to ride an Icelandic one day, that tolt looks incredible, and the Paso's too, I am with you on wanting to own one of them. The riders in the videos of racking always sit so still, as with riders doing the tolt, the horse just moves underneath them like water, its amazing. This video shows it so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rWeWymJDw

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

It might interest you all to know the opinion many NA riders have of the British just as many, Why? How? What the flip are they doing? I get it in the ear every weekend

I don't want to start a UK v NA, 'who knows best' thing. However I'm really interested to learn which horsey things that are 'every day and common' to us but are 'strange and wierd' to American (or Canadian) riders.

marmalade76

Visit site
Someone started a thread about TWH a few months back and I looked through a lot the vids on You Tube about them. What they do to them is absolutely horrific :eek: :mad: :(- Enfys must be right - the horses must be kind and good natured to tolerate it. :(

And why? A gaited horse moving naturally is impressive enough without doing all those vile things to it.

Enfys

Visit site
I don't want to start a UK v NA, 'who knows best' thing. However I'm really interested to learn which horsey things that are 'every day and common' to us but are 'strange and wierd' to American (or Canadian) riders.

Where is Tarrsteps when you need her? Also Livingsky, Emma69 here and the Americans and Canadians in the UK? New thread needed I think so as not to hi-jack this one.

Faracat I hope you don't mind if I quote you in it.