What is too big?

Louise2005

Visit site
Well once my yearling is sold (if he EVVERRR sells) I will be using the money, pfft, to buy another. Obviously it is going to be small and probably very green or completely unbacked. However I was browsing around a video site the other day. And there was a video of some young girls, maybe about 12/13, riding a pony about 11hh. And, to me, they looked fine, yes a bit tall, but it didn't cross my mind that the pony would have trouble carrying them and I'm quite sure it didn't have trouble carrying them. Oh god I'm rambling now, shut up brain, shut up!
Anyway the gist of it is, people commented on the video saying the girls were far too big for him and shouldn't be riding him.
So now I'm worried. I weight 7 stone and I'm about 5'6", give or take a few inches. I still ride 12.2 ponies without a thought, although obviously I'm rather tall on them. So now I'm worried, am I too big for this? Will it be bad for the pony, have trouble carrying me etc. I'm thinking I'll end up with a Welsh A or similar rather than a finer type. So just thoughts on this please.
Thanks.

Lou.x

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
As long as the horse is capable of carrying your weight it doesn't matter how tall/small you are

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely echo that!

Skhosu

Visit site
The only problem is with you being tall on a pony is you risk unbalancing it and this will not be comfortable for horse or rider, particularly on a green horse. I would try and get something with a bit of bone/width to it if you're getting a pony you will look too tall on height wise as this will take up your leg.
It all depends on whether you have long legs or a tall top half!

Louise2005

Visit site
I have long legs, is that good or bad? Ideally I'd like to buy a 13.2hh that I'll look not so out of proportions on, but I've a very, very tight budget. I will find a way lol.

Thanks.

Lou.x

Skhosu

Visit site
I would go for a 13.2 at least so you're both comfortable. And get one with a good barrel to take up your leg length. Ideally a 14.2 would be perfect, I would have thought you could get a cheap one if you're going to unbacked, or what about the more unpopular 14hh/14.11hh which aren't quite up to height so aren't worth as much?
I don't see the point in buying something you're too big on.

partyangel

www.freewebs.com
im 5ft 5, weight 9 stone and i ride my sec a stallion and he has no problems, if he wants he can still throw me off
blush.gif

Rachel_M

Visit site
Im 5ft square and ride 15-16h. Thats just my preference.

It depends on the pony. One with good bone, like a welsh c or d if you want to go up a few hands.

May I ask, are you wanting a pony of that size because of financial restraints, which we all have, dont worry! Or because you prefer riding smaller ponies.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I'm 5'6, 9 1/2 stone (on a bad day) and ride a 13.2hh. Have just backed a 12.2hh and just about to start riding him. I'm also about to compete the 13.2hh.
How else do small ponies get broken? Do you stick a tiny kid on a pony to break it in? No, most people use adults. And after they've been broken and ridden (and throughout the process) Yo gets their backs etc checked thoroughly.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm 5'6" in proportion and I have to say that I felt large on a 14.2 conemara x tb.......and I'm not even leggy!

I suppose it's 'horses for courses' - I probably look like a pea on ty!

x

Rachel_M

Visit site
How long are you wanting to keep the pony? As your only seven stone I take it that you still have some growing to do, or I hate you for being that skinny!lol. You could grow quite a bit taller and then you will outgrow the pony quite quickly.

Rachel_M

Visit site
My remarks were not snotty.

I simply use the quick reply at the bottom, no matter who I am replying to.

I personally thought that you was being short with my previous post. Its a shame you can't hear how something is said but I don't appreciate being called snotty and think it is uncalled for. I simply stated that I wasn't against riding ponies. No Malice in my words.........

Rachel_M

Visit site
Then all I can give is an apology but I still believe your snotty remark was uncalled for.

Whilst watching OFOH Jodie Kidd said that, because of her long legs, she used to knock jump poles down and not the pony- Until you get to that stage you'll be fine!
wink.gif

teapot

Visit site
I'm 5ft 10, weigh around 9 stone and was riding a 13.2 welsh c who wasn't overly chunky

Go with what you feel comfortable with

SpruceRI

Visit site
Most native ponies can carry loads more than we give them credit for. Shetland ponies are strong enough to carry a grown man... remember the old days of Olympia when the professional SJ's used to mess about in the ring on the Shetland Pony Grand National Ponies? These days people would be aghast to see that.

New Forests carry their verderers (Rangers - men and women) around all day, the New Forest Society states NFP's can carry a stone a hand.

Just because your legs might be down to its' knees doesn't mean it's going to collapse under your weight.

At 7 stone, you could pretty much ride anything weight-wise, but at 5ft 6" you might find the small breeds don't have enough neck and shoulder in front to make you feel secure.

GinaB

Visit site
Hey, I'm also 5'6'' and around the same weight as you. Personally I don't like riding anything smaller that 15hh (but that's just me!) The horse I currently ride is a 16.1hh warmblood x TB type. I find I don't feel comfortable on smaller ponies as I'm more leg than body but I also don't like feeling too small!

Claireg9

Visit site
So long as the pony in question has no unusual back problems your weight is more than fine, there are plenty of heavier 10 y/o out there!
You leg length is a little long though, you would be fine if you was bringing a horse on to sell but i wouldnt reccomend that height for you especially. 13.2 would be much greater if it was long term.
Good luck with your search!

Louise2005

Visit site
This is a reply to everyone lol.

I'm not buying the pony as a long term thing, I want something to sell on so I can afford something more my size. Might have to do it a few times before I can afford anything decent though. I'm 17 and doubt I have much more growing to do height wise, but I wish I wasn't so bloody skinny, although it helps in small pony situations, it does not help in big huge nutter situations.

I feel comfortable riding 14hh, last time I rode a 12.2 I fell off it, well it bucked me off, and was riding in an 8yos stirrups, so I can't really judge whether it was the size of the pony or the stirrups, lol. Probably just my crap seat.

I used to school a 12.2 show pony for someone, and I felt fine on that, obviously rather tall, but not like I was unbalancing it, but I'm forgetting this was years ago and I have actually grown.

I'll just have to search hard to find something suitable.

*Note to self - win the lottery.....lol

Thanks.
Lou.x

Rachel_M

Visit site
Your 17 and seven stone.........I hate you!lol
tongue.gif

Good luck.

I think that about 13-14hh you will be able to pick up something trainable for good money and you would be able to sell on. Too small and you might be limited.
smile.gif

leanne123

Visit site
god i wish i could still ride pony's but i out grew them at 15. is it just me are do you agree pony's are better fun to ride than horses?
and you can find some cheap pony's out there i bought a 13.1hh rising 5 show pony earlier this year and only paid £400 for it. i got her so cheap as the girl who had her wouldn't ride her as she wasn't a push button ride that she was used to. she was under weight and badly treat with them, but good food rugs and love soon turned her into a lovely pony and i sold her 6 months later for £1600 so you can do it happy pony hunting