What is your dog's favourite toy?

muddygreymare

Visit site
I have got a cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy called Rosa who is now 11 weeks old and is truly awesome and is helping to make me smile after losing Poppy (her half sister). I can't post a photo atm but she's on Instagram as @rosathecavalier if anyone wants to see her cute face! :p

Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone's dogs like to play with? I bought her lots of toys and used some of Poppy's old ones and she likes them but is equally fascinated by toilet roll tubes and plastic bottles. So I was looking for ideas of what I could give/make/buy her to keep her brain occupied as she is a very clever little pup.

Thanks guys :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If she likes plastic bottles then the 'crackle' range from Kong might be good - they do bone, stick and ball shapes with a crackly plastic interior but safely encased in soft rubber. The Cuteseas and Dynos range of soft toys also have crackly inserts. Mr Crinklepus is a big favourite in our house...

wqyo75.jpg

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
well, although he has *cough* many different toys his favourites are all balls. boy loves a ball! he ikea the '4 ball' game which involved holding two in his mouth and growling at the other two balls while moving them about with his feet.

He also has a very cute crackly and honky armadillo and a crackly and squeaky duck with a rope tail.

chillipup

Visit site
My girl (about 7 1/2 months now) has a wicker basket full of toys. Unfortunately, she's great at getting them all out and spreading them around the house and garden but I've not trained her to put them back yet. She knows the name of two of them, Lambie and pony and can correctly select the right one when asked. Lambie is her favourite and yet it is a soft toy for a baby rather than a specific dog toy. She's had it since a little pup, when she was about the same size as it and despite shredding other toys, has left lambie intact.

Zero00000

Visit site
My dogs have access to so many toys!

What do they like???

Fallen Cordyline leaves!!

I pick them up daily and one by one during the day they remove them from the 'Gardening bucket' (I blamed my son to start with!)

One grabs one side, one grabs the other and they run up and down the garden

Umbongo

Visit site
My border collie loved his soft cuddly hedgehog with a squeaker. He used to carry it carefully around with him.
He was so sad when I eventually had to throw it away. I had trouble finding them again online, so when I did I bought loads more to keep as spares! We had a whole cupboard full of them.

Have you looked in to activity feeders to keep her occupied?

Britestar

Visit site
My BC only has one toy :/ and that's his Goughnut. He's loves it, and its always within about 6ft of him.

He chases it if thrown, and chews and pounces on it when he's playing alone.

He's had it for 6 years now, and he probably loves it more than he loves me!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Inexplicably, our Setter's favourite toy was quite a large aardvark! I assume it was a child's toy once. It was hideous - the stuffing was almost solid, it didn't make any interesting noises, roll around in a fun way or snuggle very well. Nevertheless, this was her favourite.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
ball ball ball ball ball any ball. Balls that squeak, balls that light up, balls that bounce balls that have spikey bits balls that are just round - even if they have holes in them.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My Lakeland X terrier is a little heller for searching out a potted plant somewhere on the place and ditching the contents very noisily and messily, and then trouncing around with the flower-pot in his mouth.

Rescue dog (water dog) likes gunky things like bits of foot when the farrier's been. So does terrier. Then they come in and sick it up everywhere :( Delightful pair.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
My springerxcollie loved her stuffed duck from pets at home. She carried it everywhere with her as a puppy and now at 11 years she still has it. It is looking a little ragged but she still loves it.

Fidgety

Visit site
My Lakeland X terrier is a little heller for searching out a potted plant somewhere on the place and ditching the contents very noisily and messily, and then trouncing around with the flower-pot in his mouth.

My Parsons does the same with flower pots, little <beep>! His favourite toy is a small extra tough rugby ball that had a squeeker which only lasted for about 20 minutes. The ball is still going strong though,despite his best attempts and he enjoys hanging off it when it's lifted up with him dangling. Anything flimsly with a squeek is despatched within seconds.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bear loves his oversize deflated tennis ball. He has two and will scoop it up in passing, take it for a wee, bring it back.
20150528_100046_zpsc5gtyylv.jpg

Zak likes shoes or toys that make a noise. His Christmas present from the neighbour (which he nicked out of the bag, choosing the one with his name on!) was a penguin which played We wish you a Merry Christmas. He wasn't happy until he made it play the song. Got a bit tedious!
8e78f73999eee2acbe2b952728e7fb83_zps4qeeogmd.jpg

He loves playing tug, so we have a selection of toys, the latest is a squeaky fox.

Big dog likes anything he can bring and destroy.

Last edited:

Fools Motto

Visit site
Spaniel Loves playing with tennis balls or a deflated football... but hoards socks if allowed. (or we haven't noticed!)
Old lucher - umm, she did have a squeaky crocodile once, but it was handed down to said spaniel. It is still alive, but long forgotten. Now she loves food scavenging!!

Clodagh

Visit site
Tawny has a rabbit and a bear, both childrens toys originally. She likes dirty socks best though. If Brandy (older lab) gets rabbit she brings it to Tawny and they have a noisy, growly, tug of war. Luckily they have never tried it on the shooting field. :)

Fiona

Visit site
Lily is a 9mo lake land x and her fave is an orange ball with a handle. Like a horse jolly ball. She rolls about with it all day..

She also has squeaky phezzie and a duck and a chicken for inside.

Fiona

ponyparty

Visit site
Frank LOVES his squeaky rugby ball with a small tennis ball inside it (google Kong Jumbler). The first few times we gave it to him, he made the most bizarre noises - half howling, half growling, in frustration that he couldn't get to the little tennis ball inside! Never heard anything like it! He hasn't managed to destroy it, it's very hard wearing, it still squeaks, it's great for playing fetch - and as it's an irregular shape, when it bounces it often takes a random path, keeps him on his toes a bit more than just a boring old ball!

We also have two treat dispensing toys that I can't recommend enough - great for when you go out and have to leave them. One is called a Magic Mushroom, and the other is a Kong Wobbler. If you feed kibble you can put a whole meal in them; I feed raw now so Frank gets bits of chopped carrot, cheese, apple, swede, dried liver, and any other tasty morsels I can chop up.

Also his Kong Wubba - great for fetch and tug-of-war.

The normal squeaky toys from the pet shop don't seem to last long with him, he kills them too easily! So we tend to get the more expensive Kong ones, but it has been worth it as they are so long lasting.

Fiona

Visit site
I'd have said my dog wasn't too destructive with toys pony party, but I got her a Kong toy last week (an elephant made out of turnout rug sort of material) and she's chewed one of its ears off already.

Would love to see a pic of the ball within a ball - it sounds fab....

Fiona

Amye

Visit site
My 3 year old whippet LOVES his woolley mammoth. He normally destroys soft toys, he really likes pulling the stuffing out (he gets a bit obsessive) and they're normally destroyed in a couple of days and just the carcass is left! He even destroys 'tuff' toys that are supposed to be indestructible. But we bought him his mammoth for Christmas last year and it has completely minimal damage! It's lost one of it's tusks due to a bit of rough play, normally if something gets a hole in it he goes mad to get the stuffing out, but he's just left his mammoth.

He goes and gets it when he's a bit insecure or if he's excited and when you come in the house he'll 'give' it to you. He carries it around by the back of the neck - never seen him like it with another toy! I think it's because they're the same colour :D :D

Here's a little pic of him with it:

muddygreymare

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas guys, definitely going to check out some of these :) I bought her a Kong treat ball from amazon and she loves the ball, but had even more fun with the little cardboard box it came in! She's certainly a character :p