What kind of XC boots does your horse wear?

XxCoriexX

Visit site
As per the title really, it will be my first time XC with my mare and I would like some advice on what boots to get! I looked at the premier equine but cant tell which size she would be better in as she is right in the middle of the two sizes!
What kind of boots do you use? PROS/Cons?

Also posted in the tack room

thanks in advance guys!

monkeybum13

Visit site
I love the le mieux boots, they fit my horse perfectly and don't slip or rub. If it's your first time XC do you really need proper XC boots? If you're not going to be doing it regularly a set of brushing boots or similar boots should be suffice.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine has PE ones and I do rate them, they seem to have lots of padding but still seem to get a good flow of air through and not let legs overheat. I'd go a size smaller as they do come up a bit big - I'd also rather them be a bit small than too big and falling down or impeding their action. My 17hh horse only has mediums in front as his legs are a bit spindly and we couldn't get full sized ones done up tightly enough!

Tern

Visit site
Always use over reach boots *always*

I like to use tendon boots. You don't NEED to use boots so you could infact just use over reach boots and nothing else if you wish.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I didn't have much luck with my Eskadron boots I paid £60 for a set a few years ago. I went x country schooling and they came off in the water. I now use gallop ones they are cheap, they fit and they have never come off.

NU ABO

Visit site
I use the PE Air-Cooled originals all round on my boy. I love the fit of them on his legs as he can fit into the mediums (being an IDxConn he's quite stocky but not extremely tall at 15.1)
So far they've never come off, his legs haven't gotten hot and they've molded nicely to his legs. I really really rate them.

Like others have said, you could just as easily use brushing boots all round for less money. Both PE and LeMieux do a lovely set of breathable brushing boots. Could be worth a look :)

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
WoofWear Brushing Boots- my sister bought them 12 years ago and I "inherited" them when she quit, they are still in excellent condition, stay on, don't impede movement or carry water and my horse's legs have never overheated any more than if they had bare legs.

Also as otehrs have said...you don't have to have XC boots. (unless your a hoarder like me and need tack for every occasion ;) )

muckypony

Visit site
I don't boot my welshie. He's currently doing no bigger than 2'6" xc and is ridiculously 'careful' (scared of touching a fence!) But I don't boot him for anything.

If I were to boot (and probably will do in future) I would get the PE ones.

wilsha

Visit site
I have NEW fleece xc boots on the front and woof wear event boots on the hind! As well as mark todd over reach boots which a great as they don't turn around or slip