What makes a breed unsuitable for first time dog owners?

galaxy

Visit site
After reading a comment on another thread I was wondering on people's thoughts. Assuming they could provide the right home environment, time, exercise and had help from trainers etc what are people's thoughts on breeds unsuitable?

I remember when looking for Harley some GSP breeder websites said do not ring if you are a first time owner or some even said if you hadn't had a GSP before!! I had never had either but ended up with pick of the litter from H's breeder after a long phone conversation! I know other people who have had GSPs as a first dog and again all has been fine, but then they were also providing a suitable home life. So do you think people can be too black and white?

Anyway would love to hear people's thoughts!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend a lot of working-bred (herding, guarding, pastoral types) dogs to first time owners.
I've had showline GSDs my whole life and got a working puppy last year...in the year previous I spent a lot of time observing and staying in homes with working bred dogs to see what I was getting myself into and that made it a bit easier - in terms of the exercise, stimulation, brain training needed, the intelligence and sharpness, I knew what to expect and coped with it a bit better than if I had just run out and bought one.

While you sound like a very competent first time owner, there are a lot of people there who choose dogs based on looks alone (the working GSDs can look really striking, especially the Czech dogs) but really only want a dog that will be happy with one walk a day and lazing on the sofa....if you want that sort of dog I would advise against any GSD, especially a working bred one.

If the comment to which you refer is about the Boerbel, then it was well placed, they were not originally bred to be pets in their country of origin and they are a relatively new breed here so of course that work ethic and unsuitability as an 'average' low energy family pet is going to linger in the first few generations.

I think in this day and age people are right to be cautious.

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
Oops sorry! Was only because you referred to a kennel name I thought we'd crossed wires. ;)

I can imagine in your breed some are bred to have very high drive. Would you tell someone that the breed as a whole would be unsuitable? Or point them in the direction of suitable lines?

JeanetteM

Visit site
I think I'd be more worried about crossbreeds for first time doggy owners, with pedigrees you generally know what your getting (ish)

The NCDL (dogs trust) as it was back many moons ago palmed me off, a very novice an inexperienced person with a Border Collie x Beagle, oh what fun I had and lessons I had to learn .. quick sharpish :D

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Although you can't 100% judge this as a breeder selling to homes I think it also depends on the commitment of the buyer. My first dog was a Weim, I know a bunch of people that would have given her to rescue in her first 2 years but I refuse to give up on any pet and it's that attitude that has kept her with me, 3 years later I'm just starting to get there with her and she's actually a pretty good dog most the time! I have friends that have given away animals for the silliest of things, my mum has my best friends cat because he got done habits that could of been worked with. It's really down to your commitment but Unfortunatly people can say what they like and all you can go with is instint, I turned away at least 10 buyers for Chloe's pups as I just didn't feel they would deal with the stress gene of a Weim lol :) x

BBH

Visit site
I think its more about lifestyle than whether someone is a first time breed owner, ie I wouldn't sell a springer spaniel to a housebound lady and equally wouldn't sell a british bulldog to someone who wanted a dog to accompany him on his 10 mile hikes.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oops sorry! Was only because you referred to a kennel name I thought we'd crossed wires. ;)

I can imagine in your breed some are bred to have very high drive. Would you tell someone that the breed as a whole would be unsuitable? Or point them in the direction of suitable lines?

No worries :) I mean dogs from the Czech Republic, not even going to hazard a guess at how to spell the kennel names :p

I would and have done in the past, say, what are you looking for in a dog, if your lifestyle is X, go for a kennel like Y, etc etc etc....if you are going running or biking every day and have time for training and are prepared for certain types of behaviours, then yes a higher drive dog might fit the bill...there are so many lines and types and diversity in the breed, (which I don't necessarily think is always a good thing), there is a breeder who will have something to fit the bill...there are all sorts of shapes, sizes, colours, temperaments to choose from....

ETA and the Boerbel being the dog BBH was looking at I think? I do remember her posting about them before and remembering she must have done her research :D

Last edited:

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Everyone has to be a first time owner! It's like anything, do your research, learn as much as you can and expect the worse. As long as you go into it with your eyes wide open and your brain engaged then no dog should be unsuitable for a first time owner.:)

Littlelegs

Visit site
I don't think some breeds are suitable as first dogs. If you make first time mistakes with a large guard breed there's a very good chance you can end up with problems. An out of control doberman or rottie that doesn't come back to call, & jumps up in a friendly excited way at someones child is likely to get labelled dangerous, when another breed doesn't. Likewise, if your ability to be pack leader is doubtful, more dominant breeds will take control. There is no way any of our pyreneans would have gone to a first time home. A smaller dog that someones made beginners mistakes with is a bit annoying, a larger one with natural guarding instincts can be lethal.

Luci07

Visit site
Sensible people think of their lifestyle and work that out accordingly. So friends of mine bought a dalmatian puppy recently. Specifically looking for a larger dog and high energy as dog will be out all the time at shows, hacks etc. Had decided against staffords as wanted a bigger dog but very funny when they turned up with the puppy as had to tell them that staffords were bred out from Dalmatians originally!!

The Original Kao

Visit site
Sensible people think of their lifestyle and work that out accordingly. So friends of mine bought a dalmatian puppy recently. Specifically looking for a larger dog and high energy as dog will be out all the time at shows, hacks etc. Had decided against staffords as wanted a bigger dog but very funny when they turned up with the puppy as had to tell them that staffords were bred out from Dalmatians originally!!

I thought it was English bull terriers by crossing the original bull terrier with dalmatian?

weaselwords

Visit site
Honestly? I think some owners aren't suitable as first time owners! Anyone who gets any sort of dog without really thinking about whether they are going to be suited isn't going to get on with any dog, no matter how trainable and forgiving and as someone said, we were all first time owners once. I know my sister got a boxer as her first dog and approached it with trepidation, as they are supposed to be difficult to train, but since she was so well informed, he has turned into an absolutely charming and well behaved dog. I do agree with the thing about it's worse to make mistakes with bigger dogs. Unruly and overenthusiastic mastiffs have far more potential for damage than snappy chihuahuas.

ladyearl

vvv
IMHO nothing makes a breed unsuitable but some people are not suitable for some breeds. Just because someone hasn't actually owned a dog before doesn't make them unsuitable. However I've some across plenty of owners who are not right for their breed and it may well be a 3rd or 4th dog!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think its more about lifestyle than whether someone is a first time breed owner, ie I wouldn't sell a springer spaniel to a housebound lady

Depends on the temperament and what the dog is used to, also. My big dog is as psychologically satisfied with ten minutes on the lead up the road as with an our free running in the woods. He never gets ten minutes up the road, but you see what I mean!

A house proud person would not want a massive shedder, I suppose, but otherwise, I think the biggest thing to consider is temperament, IMO.

Honestly? I think some owners aren't suitable as first time owners! Anyone who gets any sort of dog without really thinking about whether they are going to be suited isn't going to get on with any dog

This ^^

I think a lot of people don't other to research properly and buy, as someone said already, based on looks and poor advice.

However, temperament is so important. Most people would probably have re-homed Zak. He was very hard to cope with, still can be. The other two are a piece of cake, not a pick of bother. I can understand breeders turning away potential buyers and vetting them carefully and them wanting to choose the correct pup for buyers.

I chose Bear based on him allowing me to push his head onto my shoulder and allowing cuddles. The OH chose the mad one based on him being the only one that could get out of the crate and leaping persistently at him! I keep telling the OH that next time, I'm choosing both!

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site
I thought it was English bull terriers by crossing the original bull terrier with dalmatian?

Quite correct;the breed is an amalgam of English White Terrier (now extinct) Dalmatian and the old pit dog..the origin of the present day Staffie. The loony element in them comes from the Dallie.:)

Wiz201

Visit site
Any breed can be unsuitable if they don't research it properly. I've seen people having trouble with small dogs never mind big dogs.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
They say it takes you 3 dogs to get it "right" so whatever dog you have first will probably not be your "best" dog in terms of training etc.
I've had crossbreeds and purebreeds and TBH I couldn't say which one per se was wrong just that I was wrong for the dog!
God I hope that makes sense, I'm due a nap zzZZZZ

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bizarrely, my first two were/are a piece of cake, the third's fab, the fourth, his brother, is a trauma (but the most loved! :eek:) What am I doing wrong?! :D