What makes a good trainer?

oldie48

Visit site
I took Rose to AM dressage for a couple of days, got back today after another really great session. All of the trainers there are so experienced but I train with Justine Sole, who suits me absolutely. Rose is not completely straightforward but certainly not that difficult, I am old and not very brave but the confidence I am given is amazing. I come away feeling that I can do it, riding is so much about what we believe, isnt it? I always move on so much and I was so proud of Rose today, she was fab. Some of the work she did today was really exciting. I've been struggling with getting her properly on the aids and in front of the leg because she blocks in her neck, JS has really helped me deal with this and she was really forward today, so much more supple and rideable and with so much more power. I am really on a high and just wanted to share my excitement. I've thought a lot about what makes a good trainer, rapport is so important, honesty is crucial and I don't mind being told I'm rubbish as long as I'm told very clearly what I must do to improve. Clear instructions that I can understand (JS talked me through a situation recently when TBH I would have got off but I got through it safely and had valuable tools in my toolbox which is changing my relationship with Rose) so I think that's also about trust. A sense of humour

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sense of humour is a must with my ruffians 😅
I'd add, genuine love of teaching and of horses. For me, I need someone that is truly ambitious for me, not patronising but also realistic. Honest but encouraging. I always feel like I have his full attention and that he wants to help me succeed and believes I can.

Goldenstar

Visit site
All the best trainers love horses and have a engagement with them and you .
I won’t go to anyone who has not got that vibe .
the best trainers develop you they don’t so much train your horse they train you so you can train every horse .

nikkimariet

Visit site
Talented with good results and achievements. Inspirational. Funny. Supportive. Understanding. That’s a good trainer. I’m glad you’ve found someone who makes you tick :)

With Fig I had one trainer say he’ll never reach PSG and I had another ask me why I was bothering to ride him past Medium (in that I shouldn’t be!). Sure, he’s not Charlotte’s Valegro. That’s because he’s MY Valegro. Sophie (Wells) helped me enormously with him and I have no doubt that I wouldn’t have attempted Inter 2 if not for her. And I loved every second!

Whilst I wouldn’t expect a trainer to dote on me, it’s nice to get a good luck or well done and have that feeling that someone is actively rooting for your success.

chaps89

Visit site
Interesting post.
I adore my instructor yet I was bl00dy terrified of her to start (she can still be scary!)
She's very down to earth but absolutely open to exploring new/different ways of doing things, and explains things in the most simplest way possible. If I don't understand, I'm not afraid of saying so and she'll try to find a different way to explain it to me.
She doesn't mind I have a hairy cob, or that I was so out of my depth when she started teaching me.
She doesn't mind me messaging her for questions or help between sessions.
She's also jolly good at holding naughty horses for vets which has proved useful too!
She might shout a bit if I get it wrong, but only because she knows I know better, she's good at saying well done and encouraging me to have more confidence in myself and there's never a moment she takes her eye off the ball or I feel we don't have her attention.
I count myself very privileged to be taught by a wonderful horsewoman who is very open minded and endlessly patient.

Having written all that out, I miss my lessons so much!

Other instructors have been nice (endlessly nice, lots of compliments which is lovely but actually not very constructive for improving) or they drill us hard in lessons but don't leave me with tools to help in between times.
The second I still benefit from as I can work with what I've produced during the lesson to analyse it, try to recreate it and think about what I did which created what behaviour but it's a harder process.

Eta - glad you've found an instructor you click with too OP and that you're making such positive steps forwards :) I always like reading your reports with Rose.

maya2008

Visit site
For me: Both one of my horses and I have physical issues (pssm for her) meaning we have to do things differently sometimes. So someone who can adapt to the situation and see new ways of doing things; someone who will LISTEN when I tell them what's wrong with the two of us, instead of thinking they're the professional so I'm obviously talking rubbish, then admit at the end of the lesson they have no idea how to help us! Someone who can ride at a higher level than I, and has experience training horses from the beginning to that level.

Given that I can't find anyone who'll do the above, I actually wouldn't care if they were polite/funny/whatever!!!!!

For my children: someone who will get the best out of them, who'll treat them as the riders they are, not their age, whether they are ahead or behind of where they'd expect. Took a few tries to find one of those, but we got one!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I need someone who doesn't take offence when I call them a knob. Because I will do that, sooner or later.

I also need people who can judge when I need to be told to get on with it and stop whining, and when they need to back off and slow things down. They also need to have a tolerance for stupid questions (which I rarely want the answers to, I just like to be pedantic, literal and play for time).

I don't want them to tell me I'm great, in fact, I actively prefer the opposite. It fits more closely with my perception of reality and is less stressful than the alternative.

Basically, I want to be trained by a slightly saintly version of Malcolm Tucker.

oh and they probably ought to know something I don't about what they're teaching me, have some idea of which end of a horse is which*, and their approach to horsemanship should be broadly in line with my own. That's a given.

(*more of an issue with my alternative sport fixation than in mainstream eq sports, to be fair!)

Last edited:

milliepops

Visit site
Basically, I want to be trained by a slightly saintly version of Malcolm Tucker.
🤣🤣🤣 Haha! I'm trying to imagine that but its just quite frightening 🤯

I feel so lucky to have found a trainer that I click with and that understands my funny collection of dressage wannabes. lessons are the highlight of my week.

JFTDWS

Visit site
🤣🤣🤣 Haha! I'm trying to imagine that but its just quite frightening 🤯

I feel so lucky to have found a trainer that I click with and that understands my funny collection of dressage wannabes. lessons are the highlight of my week.

Frightening - but safe, because I could call him a cock to my heart's content and he'd give no shiny flips at all. I worry permanently about upsetting coaches (well, the ones I like anyway). I like my archery coach, but I fear I push the boundaries of his patience - just as well he's got the winter to recover himself really!

Am very envious of your frequent training and progress. All I currently do is ride the same routes in the pissing mud ad infinitum :rolleyes:

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve def found that marigold, being a good rider doesn’t equate to being a good trainer. It’s a different skill set.

I don’t get on with very shouty types, they seem to damage my confidence. Someone who explains things clearly is vital, rather than just shouting the same phrase over again at me.

Current trainer really understands me and the horse and adopts her teaching to suit. That’s a real gift in my eyes!

Carrottom

Visit site
I like the trainer I go to because he is helping me to train my horse to be the horse I want him to be.
He knows, and I know that if I handed the horse over to him for an hour a week the progress would be much quicker, but that isn't the point, I enjoy the process and the satisfaction of each little progression.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I've not had many lessons since owning horses. I could probably count how many I've had over the years on both hands. Instead I chose to just go out into my chosen disciplines and if I encountered problems would seek help then. I didn't too badly considering.

But with the lessons I have had I have always considered the most important thing to be someone that would get on my horse during a lesson and demonstrate to me, on my horse, what they are asking me to achieve. I think someone who can make the most of any horse in any situation is a true trainer. If I am dumped on the floor and then my trainer is willing to get on and rectify the problem that made the horse dump me on the floor then that is brilliant. I wouldn't want anyone that couldn't walk the walk as well as talk the talk, so to speak lol :)

scats

Visit site
Sense of humour, definitely. I struggle with people who are too serious. Results and achievements don’t really mean anything to me. I had a lesson off someone who has been pretty successful with their own horses and who clearly can ride well themselves, but who just didn’t ‘get’ my horse and I came away feeling that neither me or the horse gained anything.

The best trainer I’ve had is actually a friend. He’s not ridden at a level beyond me (he’s more than capable, he’s just not interested) but his ability to pick up on issues and advise people how to fix them is astonishing. He can get on anything and improve it massively in one session.

milliepops

Visit site
I've not had many lessons since owning horses. I could probably count how many I've had over the years on one hand. Instead I chose to just go out into my chosen disciplines and if I encountered problems would seek help then. I didn't too badly considering.

But with the lessons I have had I have always considered the most important thing to be someone that would get on my horse during a lesson and demonstrate to me, on my horse, what they are asking me to achieve. I think someone who can make the most of any horse in any situation is a true trainer. If I am dumped on the floor and then my trainer is willing to get on and rectify the problem that made the horse dump me on the floor then that is brilliant.
this is fascinating because I have had excellent lessons from people who are too physically disabled to ride though accident or illness, and I did not need them to get on my horse in order to help me make improvements or learn new things.
Indeed, I prefer them to tell me what to do, because otherwise I can't do it when I'm by myself.
I also would not expect my trainer to get on my horse if it was naughty or difficult and ditched me, it's their livelihood at stake if they get injured.

I can't imagine not wanting to have regular lessons but different strokes for different folks :)

Marigold4

Visit site
I’ve def found that marigold, being a good rider doesn’t equate to being a good trainer. It’s a different skill set.

I don’t get on with very shouty types, they seem to damage my confidence. Someone who explains things clearly is vital, rather than just shouting the same phrase over again at me.

Current trainer really understands me and the horse and adopts her teaching to suit. That’s a real gift in my eyes!

Agreed! Shouting "soften your hands" for example over and over really doesn't help. There's a lot more to softening your hands than just softening your hands, if you see what I mean. My favourite was when I was struggling to keep my horse from falling in on a left circle in canter. I now know I was crooked and sitting on my left seat bone. Instructor got on, cantered horse left perfectly, jumped off and said "there, that's how you do it!".

JFTDWS

Visit site
I can't imagine not wanting to have regular lessons but different strokes for different folks :)

I have very niche arena needs, and I can't find one which is suitable and available for hire, and willing to let me use it right now. That's why I'm whining about a lack of progress over winter - not because I don't want to do stuff.

I could / should just go out and do some normal stuff really, and stop whining!

Bernster

Visit site
Marigold - exactly. Main memory is someone shouting at me "more contact". I just held onto the reins harder and harder as I had no clue (in hindsight I should have asked what she meant ofc). She then got hold of my reins and remarked on how hard I was holding them - that's what I thought she was asking me to do. Turns out what she actually meant was to shorten my reins !

My ins asks me what I think the aids are, or asks me what I think the movement is that she's just asked me to do - that's a far more insightful way as it shows whether I understand or not, and makes me think rather than just responding to instructions.

Marigold4

Visit site
this is fascinating because I have had excellent lessons from people who are too physically disabled to ride though accident or illness, and I did not need them to get on my horse in order to help me make improvements or learn new things.
Indeed, I prefer them to tell me what to do, because otherwise I can't do it when I'm by myself.
I also would not expect my trainer to get on my horse if it was naughty or difficult and ditched me, it's their livelihood at stake if they get injured.

It's also a question of having enough money for regular lessons. If you don't have an arena, there's the hire of that to add on as well.

milliepops

Visit site
I have very niche arena needs, and I can't find one which is suitable and available for hire, and willing to let me use it right now. That's why I'm whining about a lack of progress over winter - not because I don't want to do stuff.
I think that's different ;)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site

I just wanted to crack on and compete. I didn't want lessons really unless i couldn't solve an issue myself or wanted to regsin my confidence. I'd rather have put the money to going out for the day with my horse. I found it more rewarding. But like you say, everyone is different. Tbh I've never really found them that exciting.

milliepops

Visit site
It's also a question of having enough money for regular lessons. If you don't have an arena, there's the hire of that to add on as well.
Oh I totally agree, I had no transport and no access to regular training for years, but I still ached to have lessons more often and went out to watch other people's etc as much as I could. Like I say, different strokes.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I reckon if people aren't really enjoying and benefiting from their lessons, they're having the wrong lessons. A really good trainer should have a plan to develop the horse and rider combination in whatever direction they require. There really isn't any comparison between well trained combinations competing in their chosen discipline, and those who are just winging it - I've done both, and I've seen it from the other side too. A good trainer makes all the difference to performance, whether that's technical jumping prowess or quality within the dressage movements (or, indeed, polocrosse set pieces/ team link ups, shooting things or whatever daft sport you're playing at).

I can't imagine not enjoying that sort of training - where you really improve and everything comes together with your horse, and you feel a new movement / more power / softness / quality / jump a tricky line / course / height for the first time. That's really exciting, even if you're not in competition. I guess the only reason one might not get a kick out of that is if they're in it for the glory - the placings and the rosettes - rather than the actual training of the horse itself.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I reckon if people aren't really enjoying and benefiting from their lessons, they're having the wrong lessons.

I guess the only reason one might not get a kick out of that is if they're in it for the glory - the placings and the rosettes - rather than the actual training of the horse itself.

Wow so if you don't like lessons then the reason is either because you are having a cr*p trainer or you are 'in it for the glory' - what a condescending viewpoint?!!

If this was in response to my post then I shall give you my reasons - (I'm not sure what you have against me personally but I don't think you have ever replied to one of my comments in a kind fashion, you always seem to be really off with me for some reason).

If I wasn't enjoying my lessons it was because I could see nothing productive about going around in ever decreasing circles in walk. I was told this was because my horse wasn't moving correctly and I needed to improve on the walk work before I could 'go up a gear'. As a matter of fact this was inaccurate. The horse (and probably rider) couldn't really see the point of the never ending walking so probably switched off, but at a competition as soon as the bell went and my horse started the approach up the centre line she enjoyed herself and she 'came alive' for want of a better phrase. So did I.

I was able to take her from unaffiliated Prelim through to Novice and then through to Elementary and our average mark was around 65 - 67%. In the only BD day ticket I ever did which was a Novice test, we came in the first half in a big class of around 24 so I knew it wasn't just a matter of difference in quality between unaffiliated judges V affiliated judges which is, I'm sure, what some people must have felt. This average dressage mark was indicitive of many who judged me. Of course we had our off days like everyone else and a few times they were down right embarrassing but she was a nice moving horse.

An example, one day my Dad was watching me do a Novice test in a long arena at Moreton Morrell. The photographer was next to him and he happened to say to my Dad "now this is a quality horse" as we came into the arena. The reason I'm saying this is not to blow my own trumpet, but she was a very nice moving horse when she didn't have the physical problems which she eventually encountered along the way. And whilst I (as a rider) may not have been technically the most correct I tried very hard, and worked very hard at home to make the most of what we had.

The reason one might not get a kick out of lessons because they are in it for the glory......

Well, why I might not have been in it for 'the glory' (which is a bit of a patronising and demeaning remark) but I certainly did enjoy the competitive side of things. And I just enjoyed the fun of taking my horse somewhere on my own, just her and I. In my eyes there is nothing better than this. Yes its fun if you get a placing or a rosette but it wasn't just that for me. It wasn't about point scoring, it was just fulfilling something that I had always wanted to do, all my life and my sole reason for having a horse in the first place.

I got so much joy out of going to fun rides too and they weren't about getting a rosette! Even now when I am confined to just hacking my beautiful horse I take great enjoyment in planning to take her out, preparing to take her out, transporting her out and riding her out on hacking routes and bridle paths.

Last edited:

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Surely @hopscotch bandit the issue there is not that you don't enjoy lessons, you just don't enjoy lessons with that instructor?
No not at all. I just don't enjoy lessons AS MUCH as going out to a competition. Whereas some people are the opposite and can see what progress they make through their lessons. I could see what progress I was making through my score sheets. And maybe my score sheets could have been better with lessons, who knows. But this was not the ultimate goal for me. It was taking part that I enjoyed and not necessarily the winning.

It certainly wasn't a case of 'glory hunting' ..... what funny attitudes some folk have??

milliepops

Visit site
I taught myself on a previous horse (mainly) up to BD medium. We were doing OK because I won lots of classes but it was quite slow progress. When i was in the position of having regular training our progress really accelerated. There's no way I'd have been doing Inter1 with Kira so soon after she came into work without them. That's what makes the training so fun for me, I like to go out to a show too as I find it quite fun but if I was still plugging away on my own we would almost certainly never have got this far (end eyeing up the levels above). I wouldn't have dared for one thing.