What makes you 'an international' rider?

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Just musing on a Saturday afternoon after playing on the internet. What constitues being able to call yourself an 'international' event rider. Is it when you compete (and complete the class) at a certain level, compete in a class/section in which an overseas rider also competes or when you compete in an event that has International in its title such as South of England International Horse Trials (but you compete in the BE90 or BE100 class)?

Just wondering........;):rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I do not think you need to have necessarily been on teams but just had very good results at FEI level. Ruth Edge for instance has not been on a British team but I do not think we would doubt her credentials.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I would say someone consistent at CCI/CIC, in theory you could call someone doing a CIC* an international rider, but i think in reality IMO i'd say consistent at ** and above??

TableDancer

Visit site
Worn a Union Jack saddlecloth ie competed for Britain abroad, or if you want to be very narrow, worn a Union Jack hat silk ie part of an official British Championship Team at some level.

kerilli

Visit site
Worn a Union Jack saddlecloth ie competed for Britain abroad, or if you want to be very narrow, worn a Union Jack hat silk ie part of an official British Championship Team at some level.

This, for me. Just riding abroad does not, imho, make one an "International" rider. I've ridden abroad since I started (don't have a U.K. passport!) and done a CCI*** in Germany but I still wouldn't dream of calling myself an International rider... top riders are though.

Gucci_b

Visit site
I know a mate of mine is :) and a fab one too ;)

clareatwindsor2011.jpg

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I was just pondering why someone would advertise themselves as an instructor stating that they were an International Event rider when results are so easy to check on the BE website.........:rolleyes:

Thank you for all your replies.:D

diggerbez

Visit site
I think anyone who competes in an international class, ie. FEI, is an international rider, whatever discipline. They don't need to be professional, or go abroad.

^ i thought this 'technically'- so if you've done a 1* then really you could advertise yourself as an 'international event rider'- hence why you need to take such statements with a pinch of salt :)

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Someone with a big ego and an even bigger gob:confused::D

I suppose at the end of the day it is a how long is a piece of string question. Like what is a "competition horse?";)

soupdragon71

Visit site
Fair enough if you've competed in an FEI event (have much respect for anyone competing at a higher level than me), but do think you have to be consistently doing well before you can justify calling yourself an 'international rider'. Probably would only consider someone an international rider if they were competing at 2 or 3 star well. That rules me out then :D :D

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
by strict definition it it anyone who has competed in an international event. Amusingly I could by strict definition be an 'international' rider having represented my home island as a pony and senior rider I still have my flag and everything ;) :p But considering that was at novice/elem level dressage comps and 1m10-1m20 showjumping I would never class or advertise myself as such

To advertise yourself as an international rider I would expect good results at 2-3* FEI level be that SJ, dressage or eventing. Not necessarily on teams because as said riders the likes of Ruth Edge haven't been on a team but are still top level and better than team riders from numerous other countries!