What mileage does your box have?

littlen

Visit site
Question in the title really but I am considering buying a 3.5t horsebox to transport myself to shows etc ( still debating whether its worth it!!)

Anyway i have found a nice sounding conversion but it has 120000 miles on the clock.
I have never had a van or box before and this mileage seems very high? Or is it not for a van as most seem around this figure? My car only.has 6k miles on it so to me it sounds bad!

If i was to view, what else should I be looking at? Apparently its a professional conversion and has weight cert etc?

MissTyc

Visit site
I think 120,000 is OK for a 3,5t. They are mostly commercial vehicles and built to last.

Of course, easy for me to say that as my 3,5t. actually almost doesn't have enough miles. 44,000 genuine miles and it's 26 years old. That's an awful lot of sitting around letting the mechanics get a bit rusty!

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
I have a 3.5t ( for sale) cough!! ;-) and it has only 37000 genuine miles on it! albeit an older box it is in excellent condition, and I think has always been a horsebox and not a conversion.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Christ my CAR has 120k on it! The last one has 160k and my Dad's has over 200k!! They are just cars.

A commercial truck that has been converted, I would expect to have 100k plus on it. I'd be more worried if it had less - that would indicate it had been sat around, rusting and seizing up.

popsdosh

Visit site
Saw a Merc a few weeks back an international horse transporter ,I kid you not 1,372,000 kms
only had the odd scratch.Commercial tend to be better looked after and that sort of mileage is barely run in.

miller

Visit site
663,000 kms 7.5t MAN, runs as sweet as a nut and starts 1st time every time! Bought off a grind who used it as coal wagon from 40k

Llanali

Visit site
Think the Scania has 300000 odd- and it's been a horse box since 1990!!

I would be inclined to be more wary about those with little mileage. I believe a 7.5 and above tonne commercial would be expected to have between 70k and 90k per year!!

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
My car has 160,000 and horsebox has 200,000. Both run as sweet as anything. There is much more wear on the engine due to short journeys as opposed to lots of long trips. Accepted advice is to be wary of low mileage older cars and lorrys.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Mine has 170,000 I took a mechanic with me when I bought. He told me that on an older horsebox he would steer clear of low mileages. I was a bit wary of buying something that seemed to have such a high mileage but he was totally unfazed by it.
So far it's been a good buy :)

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
My 3.5 tonne has 120000 + miles on it, but I have it's full service history, nearly everything including the engine has been replaced before I brought it, the only worrying thing when I got it was the aa number on Tge sun visor but touch wood Ive had it 4 years and never had to much trouble

Polotash

Visit site
120,000 sounds about right.. I trawled the country (literally) looking for a 3.5 tonne van to convert last year, and eventually found one with 93k on it it...which I thought was "low" after all my shopping around (120 seems to be average, 180-200 "high" but still really common).

I would agree anything too low you should be suspicious of. I found a lovely van with 64,000 on the clock, ran an AA check and it had been clocked. It left the lease company with 130,000 on the clock and was turned back to 60,000. The checks only cost £15 or so and are DEF worth it!

goneshowjumping

Visit site
my trust "B" reg ford cargo has 487,000 kms on the clock and it runs sweet as anything! I brought it from a forum member off here, and it has been fab, not sure what it was doing before being a horsebox but she runs just fine. When I was looking my mechanic told me that lower milage on older boxes are to be avoided, and the milage on mine is only just breaking the engine in! I always thought higher the mileage the less time the engine will have to live, but my trusty box has proved that wrong!

wildcard

Visit site
My 3.5t which is 98model P reg i think has got 79k on it and it runs like a dream starts 1st time everytime even when been sat for a while like over frosty weeks. Love bertha ( Thats her name) :) gives me my independence xx

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My 1979 Transit, built from new as a horsebox, has 86,000 miles on it. I have put nearly 10K of those on it and we know it's right as it has all it's old MOTs.