What, no snow dilemma posts?

GTRJazz

Visit site
The wrong type of snow only applies to railway locomotives , With horses we just grease the soles of the hooves.

Well that gives me a greasy dilemma, what type to use cannot be Graphite or copper slip HT grease maybe something already Ok for equine like Muddy Buddy , or petroleum jelly .

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Our Thursday snow is still here. It's a bit icy. I honestly can't understand how the whole of the UK grinds to a halt every time there's a bit of snow. It's winter, it happens, and every year we are totally unprepared. Other countries seem to manage.

OH can't get back because there are no landing slots available, and I've a friend trying to get back from England to see his dying father, and he's been unable to get a flight all weekend. Simply ridiculous.

ETS this is in reply to OnlyMe's post, for some reason it didn't copy :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yard will be lethal tomorrow, there's hardly salt down, I had a job getting back on the road. Horses are staying in tomorrow cos it'll be dodgy trying to get them out ko the field. No dilemmas, I just made loads of haynets and feeds up I need case no-one can get up and the on-site yo has to feed.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I did have a snow dilemma rugging issue, just didn't have time to come in and post about it!

Sadly my little companion / daughters lead rein pony went down with laminitis last week :( No previous history and no warning, vet thinks it may be linked to an infection in the hoof, one hoof is much more affected than the others, so along with the usual laminitis stuff I'm also giving him IM AB injections (which neither of us is enjoying). He's perked up now and seems to be recovering thankfully, but was feeling pretty sorry for himself.

I don't have a stable so I've made a pen up in the open-fronted barn to keep him on a deep bed. Went out the evening of the snow and found him really feeling the cold, unfortunately the wind was blowing the wrong way into the barn. The only rug he has is a no-fill turnout, so major rug dilemma. Ended up digging out one of my cobs stable rugs (still packed up from when we moved here 3 years ago) and doing my best to shorten straps, remove leg straps etc and managed to do something with that.