What, no snow dilemma posts?

{97702}

Visit site
Surely there must be one that I have missed..... what rug have you put on your horse, have you turned out, are you riding, does snow really ball up into their hooves or is that an old wife's tale.....

I feel robbed..... :p

{97702}

Visit site
Well I did see the title but it didn't really strike me as a proper dilemma thread? There are certain key hallmarks of those types of thread you know ;)

I am very jealous of your torrential rain, our snow can just go away as far as I am concerned

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm digging out Granny horse's medium weight rug. I am having a mild internal debate about it but have decided to go warmer. Me and OH had a tiny disagreement about what rug Beast needed but I won in the end. Does that satisfy the snow dilemma thread gap a little?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Ok ok, I've thought of a better dilemma... pizza before or after I go back to do evening stables? PS. I don't actually have any snow it's just very cold.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Absolutely no dilemma here. The boys are in for the night because we have about 8 inches of snow. Bailey, the wimpiest Scottish Connie I have ever come across is in a 200gm stable rug and DP in a Thermatex because he outgrew his stable rug while I wasn't looking.

oldie48

Visit site
Only dilemma I had was getting Mr B out of the stables and into the field, would he or wouldn't he? Having come from way down in the west country and by the sea he'd clearly never seen snow before so with his eyes on stalks and much snorting, I was in two minds as to whether it was worth the risk, but he put his brave pants on and very tentatively made the 30 metres to the field. We have had about 8 inches of snow but Mr B and Little Fatty were happy enough stuffing down hay and having the occasional canter up and down the paddock.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think it's funny that now the Rest of the UK has snow, it has become a mentionable subject (aka a lot of whingeing and moaning), whereas those of us who have had it for several days have been utterly stoical and just got on with it :D :D

{97702}

Visit site
I think it's funny that now the Rest of the UK has snow, it has become a mentionable subject (aka a lot of whingeing and moaning), whereas those of us who have had it for several days have been utterly stoical and just got on with it :D :D

Oh - have you had snow then? Who knew.... ;) :D :D

SEL

Visit site
I had a rug dilemma, I really did - but OH told me to hurry up because the roads were sh $t and he was driving. So they'll just have to deal with what they've got on!

& we don't do stoic in the south east with snow. More panic.

Mike007

Visit site
Thats because we only ever seem to get the wet ,very slippery snow .I went to Luton airport( for a now cancelled holiday) today ,and I have driven tens of thousand s of miles in all sorts of snow. It was bloody awful. It wasnt just the snow ,it was also the fallen trees . Got there on time (by some miracle ,and my waze app) flight cancelled ,next flight cancelled, tomorrow almost certainly cancelled . I am now home and just glad to be here!

Pc2003

Visit site
No dilemma here... mainly because I couldn’t get out my street due to the snow and had to rely on a friend close to my yard so the whole rugging/turnout etc dilemma was taken out of my hands and I was at her mercy. ��

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I had a rug dilemma, I really did - but OH told me to hurry up because the roads were sh $t and he was driving. So they'll just have to deal with what they've got on!

I now live on the mid Wales border and have become accustomed to the “dig yourself out and carry on” attitude but as I am originally from the south east I also know the panic very well.

GTRJazz

Visit site
Was going to take one of the horses up the road in the Lorry for a local hack around the woods in the snow but I had left the lights on and flattened the battery so that did not happen. I do think it could have been the wrong type of snow anyway and would have built up in his hooves

McFluff

Visit site
No dilemma here. Blue skies, sunshine, not a lot of wind. Gorgeous, even though not sure it got above -3 (I just keep hoping this will kill off the midgies). And we have no snow. Jealous as I love snow.

only_me

Visit site
Lol we have so much snow it's unreal. At my current hospital the snowplow went round the carparks 6 times before 12pm on friday and still the snow kept coming!! I'm back up today and the snow still hasn't shifter. Is nice and crunchy snow, the proper stuff so great fun (when I'm not trying to drive here).

However at -6 currently I am feeling slightly sorry for Billy who is living out.

Then I remember he is very wooly, has a 100g rug on, is fat, field has plenty of shelter (not that he ever chooses to use it...) and him and the donkeys got a fresh big haylege bale opened up this morning.
Snow is balling in his foot but theres not much point in greasing his feet as he also plays in the river and the muddy patches in the field are wet and deep so snow will come out and the grease will not stay.

only_me

Visit site

Noticed that too :p
However I'm in antrim and its positively baltic.

Snow is still lying from thursday night, very pretty but gonna be fun in the morning when its all frozen! My friend was trying to get home from Bham today - flight was at 9am. It was cancelled and they were put on the 9pm flight. So he waited in the airport all day. At 9pm they were told it was cancelled. Now they have to travel to liverpool and fly home in the am :eek:

NZJenny

Visit site
Meanwhile at the other end of the earth we are having a heat wave! 30 degrees plus the last three or four days and if we have no rain today, it will be the longest stretch of no rain days since 1954.

Best strategy for coping - ride early in the morning or evening then go swimming! And yes, horses can cope, but I'm glad I retired from endurance riding.

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
My baby connie doesn't want to go out and stands at the gate with a 'please bring me in mummy' expression on his face. He won't eat his haylage or pootle about the field. Other horse is happy as larry standing eating his haylage and occasionally wandering off around the field in case he can find a blade of grass somewhere.

Bernster

Visit site
Ours are in for a second day which is a shame. I don't mind them going out in the snow but big livery yards can't seem to cope with the turnout. I'm having a second snow day (working from home) so I can't complain I suppose.

Did you see the pic that says Southerners are advised to stay at home. Northerners, you'll need your big coat ��

southerncomfort

Visit site
Wrong type of snow here too, absolutely rubbish powdery stuff that is useless for making a decent snowman out of!

I had a slight dilemma about whether to bring the girls in or leave them out yesterday but their was a stampede to the gate when I called them so they made their own minds up!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have a dilemma for you .... Both horses are in lightweights but with -9 forecast tonight im thinking they might need some extra warmth ... do i keep them in lightweights knowing they are a little fat, turned out 24/7 but little grass because of snow so feeding hay .... or do i put them in medium weights?

P.s ... the decision has been made to up the rug but thought i would pretend its a dilemma :)

Alibear

Visit site
The decision was taken out of my hands by Daisy's LW NZ suffering a total failure yesterday so she was cold and wet. Bought in added the extra cooler rug I'd been debating to her LW stable rug and she now has a MW NZ for the rest of this cold snap.
It's my first winter looking after her and I think she is a little delicate which is new for me.