What on earth just happened!

pixiebee

Visit site
Took my lad XC yesterday and had mixed results, this is our second time out and i think it didnt go too well due to me basically riding like an idiot, i noticed in a few of the vids i dropped my reins at the last stride and some vids i just wasnt riding foreward enough. Im afraid of pushing him too fast as i have a fear of him refusing from speed. The video is one of the refusals at the bench, which he took quite a disliking to, its not the height as he was jumping 3ft xc jumps happily but this one? maybe the shape? I think definately in this video i wasnt riding him foreard enough but i have another video of a foreward canter and still a refusal, yet he jumped the smaller version of the bench just fine.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/blunderwomen/?action=view&current=073-1.mp4

on the upside some pics of successful jumps!

xc15.jpg

xc14.jpg

xc9.jpg

xc6.jpg

xc3.jpg

xc2.jpg

any ideas on the best way to move foreward? im planning on hiring out the first xc course we did, which we seemed to do much better with, just to get both our confidence back and maybe come back to this one later? He is a cappable jumper, he cleared 4ft showjump at home so i think its confidence on both our parts. How many times do you try a jump before calling it a day?

LouS

Visit site
He's probably picking up on your nerves, just relax and keep them small until you get more confident. Don't over-ride as he'll know you're nervous, just come in a nice, rhythmical canter.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Well that video shows a fine example of what could happen jumping incorrectly fixed portables! Where was it taken?

pixiebee

Visit site
I hadnt noticed the whole jump move!!! That could have been quite nasty had it flipped under him! Thankfully we were both unharmed! It was a local one I hired in South wales.

How do you get a balance between riding foreward and positively and over riding? sorry if this sounds a bit thick?

Taffytheone

Visit site
I lost a lot of confidence in my jumping when i broke my back a few years ago and watching you coming to that fence reminds me of what i was like. You can see your expression and body language change just before he puts the breaks on. I had to take myself back to smaller fences although i show jump rather than xc making sure i was relaxed in my canter and strides. Once i had that sorted i started getting bigger and went to my local show jumping 90cm clear and loved it. Good luck a bit of practice and the believe in yourself and your horse will get you there.

pixiebee

Visit site
I lost a lot of confidence in my jumping when i broke my back a few years ago and watching you coming to that fence reminds me of what i was like. You can see your expression and body language change just before he puts the breaks on. I had to take myself back to smaller fences although i show jump rather than xc making sure i was relaxed in my canter and strides. Once i had that sorted i started getting bigger and went to my local show jumping 90cm clear and loved it. Good luck a bit of practice and the believe in yourself and your horse will get you there.

i think you hit the nail on the head with that comment,i broke my ankle bady 12 yrs ago when jumping and i dont htink ive ever fully recovered. I enjoy jumping when im doing it, its the build up to it i get nervous about. Funny thing is, my horse wouldnt jump anything when i first got him, not even a 2ft cross pole and in less than the year ive had him, we have won a showjumping class and even jumped 3ft6 doubles. So i know something has worked, its the xc we both need to work on as this is what i really want to do. if im honest, he did seem to refuse the fences that i was apprehensive about. I think i was just so determined that we could do it but i think its resulted inme feeling crap with myself because we had progressed so much so quickly. Im one of these people that watches other people flying over these jumps and in desperation to join them, push myself and my horse even though perhaps we werent quite ready. I think perhaps go back to the first xc and try again, this time keeping the contact, steady rhythm and stick to fences i feel confident about. i perhaps have felt pressured to do the bigger fences xc since we have done it showjumping but i forget these fences are probably more menacing looking to the horse.

Taffytheone

Visit site
Loving these pictures as you say you are so much more confident in this course and it shows. Dont feel that just because you see others jumping huge fences you have to do it to, this is all about enjoying yourself. I always move up a level when i am excited about doing it and confident in the fences. Otherwise i run the risk of ending up coming home several refusals all if which i will have helped happen.
You have obviously put a lot of work into building a bond and increasing your lads confidence so just take the pressure off and let us know how it goes :)