what percent

JadeWisc

Visit site
what pecent protien should the hard feed be for a Miniature foal almost 6 months of age. The vet advised me that it was not needed to buy special mare/foal feed for him after weaning. He said that my standard feed that I give my horses in small amounts not over 1 cup per feeding would be fine for him. The sweet feed that I feed my horses is 10% protien. He gets it once a day and has constant access to good quality hay with a small amount of alfalfa in it. He is growing and healthy, but I am having my doubts about the feed. He is not gaining how I would like him to be.My aunt has given me some of her mare/foal to try with him at 16% protien. What do you think is best. My miniature horse weanling experience is pretty "as I go along" here. Any other recommendations as to any suppliments for mini foals etc.

Fairynuff

Visit site
I would go on as you are. I dont have any ex regarding minies but I would think it best to let him grow slowly like any other youngster. Hes getting calcium from the alfalfa and id expect there to be added vits and minerals in your sweet feed. So long as your hay is of good quality I wouldnt worry about trying anything else. One thing I would give him is some cod liver oil throughout the winter as the vit e (or is it a?) is stored in the liver and becomes depleted during the winter which can have knock on affects with general health. Post a photo please, like to see him again. M.

JadeWisc

Visit site
hello Mairi, Thank you for your response. I only just got back on here today so I did not respond right away. Here is a pic of Cashew
05c2a4256e07.jpg

025156e4a8e1.jpg

4c7452064321-1.jpg