What percentage of your horses weight are you and your tack?

Tillymay

Visit site
I am currently just under 15% with absolutely everything, but constantly worrying about it. He’s a fit 8 years old Irish 16.2hh and I’m about 11.10stone and my kit about 28-30lbs.

intrigued as to others.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't weighed the horse so it's an estimate, but I think 13% and I wouldn't want to be more than 15% on a lightweight horse.

Cob Life

Visit site
just under 15% on the light weight and about 11% on the heavyweight. I still worry I’m too heavy for them though and I’ve had multiple people tell me I’m not too heavy

SEL

Visit site
I'm about 15% on the pony (of the weight she should be not the post box rest hippo she is)

She's stocky but now I know about her various old injuries I wouldn't want any more on her.

SOS

Visit site
Around 12.3% - very accurate as I had to find out my tack and body combined weight to enter weight categories for a few events. And horse recently weighed too!

Roxylola

Visit site
12 based on estimated horse weights - possibly a bit less if I've underestimated their weights or overestimated my clothes

scruffyponies

Visit site
One of the scruffies went racing on Saturday. His lightweight teenage rider weighed in officially at 11st 11lb with the saddle. This was a racing saddle, so much lighter than a normal one. He is roughly 400kg, so that's not far off 20%.
Lord knows how professional jockeys get down to the weights they do.

Widgeon

Visit site
I don't actually know. I don't know what my horse weighs - I have a weight tape but they're notoriously inaccurate - and we don't have scales at the yard so no idea what I weigh once I'm carrying my saddle and dressed up with my hat etc on. I would like to know! I'm not worried about weight though, the thing I worry more is keeping us both in balance - he's 15.1 and not overly wide, and I'm about 5'8" with long legs so I look a bit bean-poley on him with my stirrups down at hacking length.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Of her weight the last time she was weighed on weighbridge then probably about 11% but she was fat. Of her ideal weight then closer to 13-14%. She’s 14.1 and I’m 5ft2. Tack is relatively light.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'm 65 kgs plus kit (saddle, hat, boots) estimate of 10kgs = 75 vs. horse of 580kgs (he's only 15 hh but stocky) so 13%

I'm breaking one that is far leaner / smaller - so only riding 10 mins every third day to build up his strength - I will probably take 6 months to build up to normal level of leasure riding as I know I'm on the heavy side.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Probably about 12% of one and 13% of the other. Estimating of tack and kit weight. I just lost two stone and it feels like it has made a huge difference to them both, particularly the smaller chap, where it would have been over 15% before...

Alibear

Visit site
17% currently and I'm about as heavy as I get. She's a QH so as a breed they generally carry more weight for their size than others. My saddle is also very light for a western saddle. If I was using my previous one I'd be much closer to 20%