What questions would you ask...

crackerjack

Visit site
If you were going to look at a possible livery yard?
I have i list, want to make sure i don't miss anything out.
Thanks CJ.

JessPickle

Visit site
Any rules about when you can school is it booked at certain times

Can you bring your own trainer up for lessons

Turnout is it all year?

no_no_nanette

Visit site
We are in a livery yard on a farm which I love for the people, but the farmer has a very "hands off" attitude which can cause probs, so on the basis of our experience, I'd definitely ask about yard security; first aid kits on site; fire drill - does everyone know it? - any rules about whether you can bring dogs/young children on to the yard? Do you have to use hay/straw provided by them or can you buy in your own if you want to - where would it be stored? (Also sometimes livery yards won't reduce their charge even if you are not using their hay). Make sure they have clear rules on not borrowing other people's stuff! Sorry if this sounds a bit ott, but our experience has definitely made me realise the value of having a clear set of rules that everyone signs up to!

debbielinder

Visit site
i dunno about asking questions but i think i would just turn up i know this is a bit cheeky but you know they havent staged anything for you then and you walk in on an average day

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
What turnout is available - is it available unlimited 24/7 all year round if you want it. If you will be bringing in over winter, is daytime turnout limited (to say, 4 hours). How many day last winter were the horses unable to go out because the fields were too bad.

How many horses turned out together - single, pairs, groups. Single sex or mixed groups - I hate mixed groups, too much trouble. If you horse doesn't get on with the horses he's out with, can you move him to a different group.

How will the horse be introduced to those he will be turned out with.

Do you have to have the horse stabled by a certain time of year, eg, Nov to May, or can you chose your own winter and summer. If your horse isn't stabled, are there any other grass liveries he can stay out with.

Can you feed hay in the field over winter.

Does the yard offer full livery, part livery, assissted eve/morn if you're DIY.

Do you have use of the facilities or do you have to pay.

What is their field management like - how much poo picking are you expected to do each week. Does the yard harrow and roll the field in spring. Are the paddocks rested.

Can you chose which bedding you use or do you have to use say straw, or shavings. Do you have to buy it from the yard (my last yard was shavings only and had to buy from yard).

If full livery what is included in price - riding, grooming, mucking out, food (not just feeding).

Do you have to use the yard vet and farrier or can you use your own. Can the YO hold the horse for you if you cant be there for farrier. Some purely DIY yards are just that - no one around, ever.

Who is responsible for maintaining fencing, stables, things like that. Is hay/haylage included in your livery price. Are there any rules about vaccinations - I know of a yard at home that won't take on any liveries that aren't vaccinated against strangles.