what questions?

Tempi

Visit site
What do you want to know when you go and look at a horse?

These are things ive thought of, if anyone else has anything to add that would be great:

- loading (apparently it loads fine)
- clipping (again fine, but will ask to see it with clippers held to it)
- when was it last wormed
- see passport
- vacinations up to date
- what like to be shod (again fine apparently)
- teeth (when were they last done)
- back (same)

obviously il ask to see it trotted up without tack on then want to see it tacked up and ridden before i get on it (and stood on level ground so i can check conformation)........anything else? I know what im looking for conformation wise so thats not a problem
smile.gif

ihatework

Visit site
I would look at it's history, how many riders has it had and have they been female/male amateur/professional. Competition record with any significant gaps without explanation. Has horse been insured, who with and any current exclusions.

I would personally be vary wary about buying a horse for myself from a professional male rider

Halfstep

Visit site
I usually like to see their movement in trot and canter without a rider on board - either on the lunge or free if there is a suitable place.

Medical history - any vices, history of colic, lamenesses or injuries.

Ask what it is fed - always interesting to hear.

Will it hack out alone/in company? Ok to catch/turn out?

Can't think of anything else right now, but good luck!

x

Nic

Visit site
If you will be hacking, it is it good in traffic & does it hack out alone?

I always ask what the worst thing it has ever done is!

Tempi

Visit site
er, who said anything about a professional male rider? the horse im looking at has been owned by the same woman all its life. Shes competed him once HC because she hasnt got time for him due to work commitments. Hes only just 5 aswell but ready to go out and compete. she takes him around the place for lessons in her trailer.

Tempi

Visit site
thanx, id forgotten about the catching/hacking/traffic/feed bits!!

i know hes got a small splint on his hindleg, got it when he was 3, apprently its got smaler and you can hardly see it now. hes never had the vet out for anything.

ihatework

Visit site
WTF !!!
You asked what questions/things would we ask when buying a horse.
I told you what I would look at (from my personal point of view)

I haven't a clue what the horse in question the you were bumbling on about was. Was just answering your question.

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
ask what it's like :in traffic,
off-road hacking,
with vet,
his history- any abuse, any strange likes, dislikes, etc.
any strange habits?
any big accidents/injuries in the past?

and strangely enough, either look at or ask if there is anything that's not covered on insurance as this could indicate an ongoing problem. (for example, mine's near fore is no longer insured since i made a claim for a tendon injury. it still needs treatment now)

don't take anything for granted, you want every thing proved. For example, if an advert were to read "good to clip, box, and hack" reading between the lines, it doesn't say anything about shoeing.. was this an oversight, or is it that it's not good to shoe?

hope this helps, good luck.

Tempi

Visit site
PS - can i ask why you wouldnt buy from a male professional? just out of curiosity..............i dont think i would either, but my reasons are rubbish ones!
blush.gif

ihatework

Visit site
Because, and I am making a HUGE generalisation here and I know there will be exception. Professional men tend to be very strong riders, sometimes they will be given a horse to ride as it may have 'personality', they may be dealing/producing and be wanting to turn horses around quickly hence taking shortcuts.
If I was looking to buy a horse for me to compete immediately I would look for something with a proven record at the level I want to compete at with a rider of similar calibre to myself, i.e. an amateur female or possibly a juniors horse.
I have been stung before buying from a well know 4* male rider.
I would however by a young unbroken/just backed horse from a professional male/dealer

kick_On

Visit site
Get them to confirm about any stable/field behaviour - ie can gg be left alone??? things which aren't 'stable vices' but are annoying and need certain management
In field is it boss, or does it become to attached to other field mates
Ask what's it worst habit!!!
Are they happy with vetting with vet of YOUR choice and i always say if i like, subject to 'passing your vetting' and leave deposit AND THEN GET RECEIPT with the words 'REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT ' on it.

Halfstep

Visit site
I tried a horse that was being produced at a well known professional yard - he (strong male rider) rode the horse first - it looked perfect! I got on it and couldn't even make it trot. It was so used to his strength of seat and back that it was totally deaf to my seat aids. I had to pony club kick it to get it to go. A bit embarrassing, but I'm sure this horse would have been fantastic for someone as strong as this trainer - just not for a 5'3 size 8 woman like me.

MiffyH

Visit site
What bit it is ridden in and if its different for competitions, why they are selling it, what it is fed, how long they have had it, what its like in traffic, all the things they say is does or is capable of do try.... if you go see it, ask if you can hack it, load it, tack it up, lead it, put a rug on etc. All sounds a bit OTT but at least you know for yourself then.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Think everyone has covered it but in case they haven't - what is he like with water - both washing (i.e. ok with a hose - my last horse had to be twitched to be washed......madness) and going through it (puddles, water jumps etc. - speaking from experience!)
- manners on the ground - ok to lead will he tank off - can you see for yourself (lead rope burns not good")
- is horse currently booted when ridden - if so what for (just in case has never been and has nellie fit on you)
- is horse rugged if so when, what's he like with outdoor rugs will he destroy them
- will horse lead or follow or both

Hmmm - I know these are fairly random...trying to think of anything else....

Helga1980

Visit site
Perfect timing P_G, I'm trying a horse on Sun so this post is very useful for me too
grin.gif

Everything has pretty much been covered, only other things that I will be asking about mine (may not be relevant to you) are:

* How is he to turn out with other horses (mares as well as yard may become mixed turnout soon).
* How is he travelling alone, will he stand in box / tied to box at competitions, does he get attached to other horses.
* How is he with sheep / cattle / tractors (yard also working farm for me - is there anything different to the norm at your yard?)
* How does he react to sudden changes in weather (yard can get very windy and some of the horses there become nut jobs)
* Any allergies etc.
* How is he with the vet.
* Vices - they've already said he can weave slightly so want all the details.

I won't necessarily discount him if any of these have negative answers but like to know what I'm getting into!

Good luck

bandit

Visit site
Hey PG!!

i think i may have been naive when i bought Bonnie as i didn't ask all that many questions, however she was vetted and passed, and so far after almost 5 weeks, i really can't fault her.

I asked about clipping / shoeing / loading / grazing with others or on own / ability to catch / her competition record (found it on BE website!) / past racing record / how many owners / tack she wears / rugs she needs / vices / feed.. cna't htink of anymore. saw her ridden by owner, i rode her, then friend who's show jumper rode her. then saw her again 2 days later, watched her ridden and i rode again - jumped higher too than first visit.

I've since found out she's not all that happy to have her mane pulled but nothign drastic, just needs someone to hold when near ears... her tail i was told was done with clippers and not pulled as her legs can fly! she's sane and sensible and i feel in the main i've been told all things truthfully - she was an absolute angel at her first show with me when i'd only had her 3 weeks...

Good Luck PG and go with your gut instinct - it's usually right!

Bx

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks, to be honest I suspect this one may turn out to be a frog as it's got a bit of 'to good to be true for the money' about it!!

Vix1978

Visit site
Going off on a slight tangent, I've been looking for a horse for some people I know recently, and for me, I like to ask as many questions, take the necessary time etc to ensure the horse is right. A couple (not all) of sellers have got a bit narky with this. Has anyone else experienced this? For me, if they get a bit narky I think they've something to hide.....

Helga1980

Visit site
I can see it from both view points, when I start trying horses I'm going to be asking 101 questions as I want to know just about everything I can about the horse.

However, I also know from experience that selling horses can be as stressful as buying and when you've got someone asking endless questions it does get tempting to just tell them to get the backside into gear and make a decision. Unfair maybe but human nature.

Tempi

Visit site
but, the seller should be willing to answer all questions, as afterall they do want the sale. if they arent very helpful or forthcoming then the liklihood of them getting a sale is slim.

Helga1980

Visit site
That's why I'm no good at selling things
wink.gif
Start getting tetchy if I feel like it's the Spanish Inquisition (sp), even if I haven't got anything to hide!

vic07

Visit site
I did once make a scarcoid up that a horse didn't have as their 50 millionth question had worn my patience thin!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
What is it fed on daily? Does it have any allergies? Any problems shoeing? Has it competed on grass at all or always on a surface? Does it get hotted up? So many questions to ask!