what rug weighs do you use

showjump2003

Visit site
I'm interested in hearing what weight rugs different people use. Please state what clip the horse has and what weight stable and turnout rugs you use.

I'm mainly interested in those with a trace clip and a ful clip. Thanks.

Parkranger

Visit site
Got a TB pansy boy:

HW turnout 450g
MW turnout 220g
HW stable 350g
MW stable 200g

Not sure if he'll be clipped in the winter depends on how fluffy he goes......I'm basing it on him not having much of a coat so probably get him full clipped.

seaofdreams

Visit site
o.k i have a complete whimp of a mare!! during the winter i turn her out and she then walks around the corner of the gate and stands in the feild shelter all day, calling me to come in!!
she is fully clipped and in med work
at the coldest time of year 05/06 she wore:
STABLE-
HRQUJAL.jpg
=100grms
+
HRUNCOM.jpg
=200gms
+
HRQU300G.jpg
=360gms

TURN-OUT-
HRUNCOM.jpg
=200gms
+
HRNZRPT.jpg
= 370gms

blimey that seems alot, but they get 3 night checks and she is just warm to touch
we are in an amercain barn though and it gets very cold in there
hope that helps
Hx

seaofdreams

Visit site
i know it's madness but even my boss (who is very chuck it out & let it get on with it) agrees with me
she shivers otherwise and i feel mean

seaofdreams

Visit site
i tried to turn mouse out over night a couple of months ago, but she stood calling at the gate and woke my boss up so he brought her in, she is also a nightmare to ride the next day as she is so tired and lazy
bless her she is a funny little bean !!

patchandloopy

Visit site
my horse isnt clipped-but is a fine TB with summer coat and tominght is out in his field with a 180gram rug on!!

In october he will be blanket clipped and wear a 22og high neck in warmer days a 370gram combos on cooler days with 300grams stable and 420gram stable depending on temps.

Nari

Visit site
Seaofdreams if it's any consolation my ID has been known to wear more than that on cold nights! He is hunterclipped in the winter but even so the amount of rugs he needs to be comfortable seems crazy to me. It's perfectly normal for him to wear a 300g high neck duvet, 360g standard neck stable rug & 400g full neck T/O in the stable & my old YO has been known to turn him out in that too because he wouldn't let her take any of it off!

You can tell if he's cold because he gets very grumpy & starts pulling any rug within reach into his stable whereas when he's warm enough he's all cute & cuddly but doesn't like anyone touching his rug fastenings. I don't groom on cold nights & any winter grooming is done by folding rugs backwards & forwards rather than removing them!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I am just debating this as it will be my first full winter with Spring. She will have a high trace or a blanket clip. I have got a really thick stable rug (no idea on weight as it came with her) and just bought a 110g and 170g stable rugs (fairly lightweight) and was going to layer fleeces and a full neck under-rug with different combinations depending on the temprature.
I have decided to get an Amigo turnout with detachable neck and don't know whether to get the 200g medium weight or the 350g heavyweight
confused.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Does your TB fur up alot in winter?

TBH, I've never owned a full bred before or been around many so I'm not sure what to expect!! x

showjump2003

Visit site
wow!!! Lot's of rugs

You guys think I'm cruel then? My horses both get traced clipped.. ..they go out in the day with full neck 300g (10oz) turnout rugs and have standard neck 360g (12oz) stable rugs at night?

seaofdreams

Visit site
Nari- im glad you have told me that as i thought i was going mad !!
i was waiting for replys saying thats way to many rugs, but she really does need them bless her, she is in a fleece now as her hair was standing on end when i was going in, in the morning!!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I only use lightweight rugs, they are a lot more flexible and easier to manage. It is the layers of air between the rugs that keep a horse warm, so say you have 2 lightweights on - your horse may well be warmer than with one heavyweight.
All the colts and geldings are clipped right out, mares and fillies are blanket clipped, always take the heads off.
Every horse has a fleece sheet, some are having them on some nights at the mo. I like these because you can put them on a hot washed down horse, they cool them and dry quickly. They then have a lightweight high neck, I find putting the neck up is equal to an extra layer. All then have a lightweight stable rug. Only on the coldest winter nights would they have all 3 on with the neck up, but I have an ultra warm american barn system.
For turnout they usually wear the fleece and high neck, with a rainsheet on top. The ones that live out that arent in work have a medium weight high neck in the winter.

Prudence

Visit site
My old hunter was a right old wimp! When it was cold, he'd wear:

1 High neck underrug = 150gms
2 double duvets = 150gms each = 300gms
1 Horseware HW stable rug = 400gms

This was a fully clipped out ShirexTB, that was the biggest wimp I've ever known!