what rug?

bubblensqueak

Visit site
what weight rug is everyone using atm? or no rug at all? just at night or during the day too? should my un clipped horse be naked overnight in the stable? im doubting my self at this point. i would appreciate someone else's input/ opinion/ what everyone else is doing.

eggs

Visit site
Unclipped horses are unrugged day and night except for when temperature is expected to drop to below 5oC at night when I pop a fleece on them. They are in at night and out during the day. It varies with the fully clipped horses. One is in 200g, one is in 70g and the other is in 100g tonight as temperatures are due to drop a lot. During the day there were in 50g, no fill rainsheet, rain sheet with blanket lining respectively. It really does depend on the horse.

bubblensqueak

Visit site
Unclipped horses are unrugged day and night except for when temperature is expected to drop to below 5oC at night when I pop a fleece on them. They are in at night and out during the day. It varies with the fully clipped horses. One is in 200g, one is in 70g and the other is in 100g tonight as temperatures are due to drop a lot. During the day there were in 50g, no fill rainsheet, rain sheet with blanket lining respectively. It really does depend on the horse.
i think ive been over rugging my horse. the aim was to rug quite a lot to try and delay a thick winter coat as hes not in heavy enough work to be clipped, but i still need to be able to work him lightly. ive been putting him in a 100g day and night, and hes un clipped, to be fair he doesnt have a thick coat but im still wondering if its too much. the issue is hes turned out by the yard manager in the morning (the whole yard is) and they dont like to have to change rugs in the morning, so hes just been staying in it overnight- should i change what im doing?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
My unclipped native wont have a rug on until it's a lot colder. He's young, healthy and generally a warm boy.

Even when it does get colder (below 0) he'll only be rugged when in overnight and he can't move about as much to keep warm. He doesn't need a rug for turnout.

He is waterproof so I don't groom more than necessary, and only when he's dry.

EnduroRider

Visit site
My three (one clipped) are all in at least 200g and have been for sometime. Out in the day and stabled overnight but there is no shelter in the field and the stables are very open. The one that struggles to maintain his weight over winter is having a liner added on the colder nights.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
If DP is unclipped or has a dealer clip he is out naked unless it is pouring with rain and then he has a no fill. At the moment he is fully clipped and has until today been out at night in a 100gm but I’ve put a 200gm on tonight as it’s going down to 3 degrees here. The Connie who does feel the cold and is also fully clipped is now out in a 300gm.

EmmaC78

Visit site
Unclippped TB is out in a 100g day and night although I am in Scotland and it has been pretty wet and windy here so a no fill wouldn't be enough.

Reactions: TPO

bubblensqueak

Visit site
Unclippped TB is out in a 100g day and night although I am in Scotland and it has been pretty wet and windy here so a no fill wouldn't be enough.
that makes me feel a bit better, mine is a part TB and the weather has been so awful- although im not in Scotland. thank you everyone so far.

ihatework

Visit site
Well I've got 2 well bred sports fillies out 24/7 with no rugs (yearlings so unclipped).
And a 4yo sporthorse thats just come in from being on holiday in field (unrugged) and is fat and furry and is unrugged overnight in stable and has a sheet in the field just to keep him clean. Obviously once he has been made naked he'll be rugged.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
My partially clipped native is still living out 24/7 unrugged and will be for as long as possible. We just mainly groom where the tack goes ;)

It might be wet and windy but it was 16° overnight last night in the SE!

TGM

Visit site
I only have one that's not clipped at the moment and she won't be wearing a rug this winter. She retired now and is a good doer, plus we are in the SE with lots of natural shelter.

teddypops

Visit site
i think ive been over rugging my horse. the aim was to rug quite a lot to try and delay a thick winter coat as hes not in heavy enough work to be clipped, but i still need to be able to work him lightly. ive been putting him in a 100g day and night, and hes un clipped, to be fair he doesnt have a thick coat but im still wondering if its too much. the issue is hes turned out by the yard manager in the morning (the whole yard is) and they dont like to have to change rugs in the morning, so hes just been staying in it overnight- should i change what im doing?
If your horse is too hot, then change what you’re doing. My Unclipped ponies have nothing on and my clipped ponies have a no fill on when it’s raining, but it has been very mild with me.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I have one that was fully clipped about a month ago but its grown back loads and she's fat and sweating, she's currently naked. My other cob has a belly clip and is also naked. The warmblood who's unclipped is naked but has a 50g for the heavy rain days. The last is a TB, unclipped but dropping weight, he is in a 100g (full neck), will probably drop him down to a 50g tonight as his stable gets really warm.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's been 17 degrees here so just in a sheet or 50g during the day if they are out as it's been pouring with rain, if in they have been naked as they are not clipped and it's been 13 degrees, it is going to drop tonight to 5 so one will go up to 100g the other one will stay in 50g as his too fat and has a thicker coat and they are still out most nights.

C24

Visit site
Both of mine are in 100g rugs day and night. The Welsh A doesn't have one on if it's just on and off showers but we've had some awful wind and non-stop rain for the last few days so put one on today. She went out yesterday without a rug, she was like a drowned rat and was generally miserable when we brought her in. Despite a good coat, she really doesn't cope well with the rain and mud. We've been hitting around 6 degrees over night and around 10 in the day, but the worst thing is the wind which leaves you with brain freeze. :eek: We live up on the Northumberland fells and my god the weather has been relentless - the horses have all been begging to come it, even my boy who doesn't usually let you catch him!

Micropony

Visit site
My fully clipped WB is in a no fill sheet for turnout, a cotton sheet in his stable in the afternoon, and a 50g at night. Coldest it's been here overnight so far is 7 degrees and he's been a comfortable temperature. This week it's due to drop to 3 degrees at night so I will probably up his rug to 100g those nights.
All on our yard are clipped out, and rugs vary from naked to 200g, depending on the horse. Some run hotter than others, and you just need to stick your hand under the rug and adjust accordingly.
All ours have plenty of hay to eat overnight, so their central heating is running constantly, and I do find that makes a difference. At a previous yard where they would run out of hay overnight I did find he needed heavier rugs in equivalent weather.

Cob Life

Visit site
fat, Irish clipped cob and normal weight unclipped wb are both just in rain sheets when out and in. If I didn’t need the cob dry and clean for riding (he always sleeps in his poo) he’d be naked.

bubblensqueak

Visit site
the general verdict here has been non, zero fill, rain sheet, or 100g (depending on clipped or not), but the whole livery yard have been in 100gs at least im sure for weeks now! including the cob! not sure if we are living in a freezing micro climate or we are a bunch of wimps. Either way, thank you for your help everyone.

Cob Life

Visit site
the general verdict here has been non, zero fill, rain sheet, or 100g (depending on clipped or not), but the whole livery yard have been in 100gs at least im sure for weeks now! including the cob! not sure if we are living in a freezing micro climate or we are a bunch of wimps. Either way, thank you for your help everyone.
Because I’m dealing with an overweight cob mostly I’d rather under rug than over rug him, get him to burn some of that fat!

atropa

Visit site
Blanket clipped native cross is currently unrugged all day, except if I plan to ride her in the evening instead of the morning and it's raining, in which case she has a rainsheet on. She's overweight currently so won't be rugged until she has dropped to a good weight.
Fully clipped WB is generally in a rain sheet in days its over 10 degrees, 100g on days otherwise and either 100g overnight or 200g if below 5 degrees.

Winters100

Visit site
As others have said depends on the horse. I currently have my older mare in 100g in the day and 200g at night, to me 200g seems excessive but she was cold in the 100g. 1 of my geldings is in 50g during day and 100g at night, other is naked but has had a cotton sheet on some of the colder nights.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My welsh D is out 24/7 but doesn't hold his weight well. He's unclipped and currently at an ok weight on 2 feeds a day and adlib hay plus the bit of grass that we have left. I've just changed him from a no fill to a 100g I'm trying to prevent weight loss as I don't want him coming it to spring to lean. Every horse is different though.

jnb

Visit site
Irish HW Cob with an Irish Clip (whole neck and half a head off) out 24/7 with a good shelter and bed.
Has been in a LW zero fill either with neck or without depending if its raining or not, but I did put his 40g with detachable neck on last night as it peed down all night.
Temp dropping to 2c tonight, will probably break out the 70g with neck although I have a lesson this after noon so it depends how hot he is and how he dries off.
Once he's hunter clipped around Christmas, he will be in a 100g combo or 220g combo if very wet/cold/snow.

TPO

Visit site
Fat cob is naked in almost all weathers. When it's really end of the world stuff with cold, wind and lashing rain he gets a rain sheet.

Unclipped TB has been out in a mix of 50, 100 and 200. We've had a LOT of rain and where we are there is always a cold wind. Stabled overnight and hes either naked when its mild or 100gm stable rug so far. He also has a 200gm stable rug but has never needed anything warmer (internal stables but has ventilated walls so can get draughty of theres a string wind)

Unclipped QH a mix of naked, rainsheet and 50gm. Hes either naked or has a fleece on overnight.

Today its icy cold with almost sleet falling, it's not a strong wind but it's a cold one. TB in 200gm, QH in 50gm and FC naked. They only have shelter in the form of a big hedge on one edge of their field

southerncomfort

Visit site
20 year old welsh cob X is unrugged if its dry, no fill rainsheet in light rain or a 100gm in heavier rain.

4 year old Fell unrugged.

14 year old mini shetland also unrugged.

Annagain

Visit site
Charlie has a little apron clip and is in a lightweight to keep him clean more than anything. He is exceptionally fluffy and will be clipped properly when they start coming in overnight.
Monty is in a lightweight for cleanliness. He's nowhere near as fluffy as Charlie.
Archie is naked, fat, filthy and enjoying every second of his retirement. Having never had him naked in winter before, I was worried about him at first but every time I've checked him he's been plenty warm enough, warmer than the rugged boys in fact. The 3" of mud is obviously insulating him well!