What rugs are yours in at the moment? (If clipped!)

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
As above really
grin.gif

Day and night please
grin.gif

Stoxx

Visit site
Mine isn't clipped however I hopefully won't have to as he doesn't grow much coat and has no more than a thicker summer coat at the mo.
During the day (field) he is in a medium weight with neck and on the colder days he has a sheet underneath.
Overnight (stable) he is in a heavyweight and sheet, or on the colder nights a lightweight instead of the sheet.

Lill

Visit site
Blue out 24/7 still, has a fleece under a mediumweight (no neck) i keep worrying he might be too cold... but whenever i've checked his ears they seem warm to me?

Hippona

Visit site
Mines not clipped yet, so he's in a lightweight when turned out and a fleece at night. He's due a full clip at the weekend cos he's getting really sweaty, so he will have either MW or HW with neck depending on temperature.

OH's mare is rather large and hairy, so shes not rugged at all, could do with losing a bit of weight.

Younster isnt clipped, don't think i will bother cos he's not going to be in hard work, so hes just in 'rain-mac' for a bit of protection, and also to stop OH mare taking chunks out of him, the evil bitch
shocked.gif

SilverSkye

Visit site
Not clipped yet and still out 24/7 so naked and sporting a coat any mountain pony would be proud of. When clipped ( hopefully later in the week) as long as no dramatic changes in weather will wear a 250g full neck stable rug over night in stable and a 200g combo rug in the day will be full clipped legs off the lot.

BigRed

Visit site
My horse has a trace clip, she is a TB so does not have a very thick coat. During the day she just has a lightweight rain sheet on and at night a lightweight stable rug.

I am surprised anyone feels the need to use a heavyweight rug at night (it has not been that cold yet), what do you guys use when the real winter weather comes ?

Stoxx

Visit site
We've had a few nights where the temperature has been down to 3. Apart from a few weeks when we get sub-zero temperatures, that can be as cold as it gets during winter!!

LadyRascasse

Visit site
i feel really bad now mine is fully clipped except legs and half face and has m/w with no neck in the day and a lightweight with neck and a fleece underneath.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Mine are clipped out, just left legs and half a face, and they are out 24/7 at the moment.
They are in MW rugs with necks day and night, but if it is going to be very warm and sunny ( I wish! ) they have a LW with no neck during the day.

chunkytfg

Visit site
in stable bud goes bare and during the day has a 'born to roll' 200g waterproof rug.

little shetty x has nothing overnight and rain sheet during the day but he has a coat a wooly mammoth would be proud of!!!

Pidge

Visit site
Pidge - full clip and out 24/7 at the moment in a 200g with a neck cover.
Sunny - hunter clip and out 24/7 in a sheet.
both are plenty warm enough.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I have a cob-X who has just been trace clipped. She's got her Rambo Duo (outer only, so 100g fill) on but no neck cover yet as it hasn't been bitterly cold during the day.

She has a fleece on at night. If it starts getting really cold at night, I'll just start leaving her turnout on, but I have to watch as she over heats quite easily and comes up in a heat rash.

Heidi1

Visit site
Zara - TB out 24/7, hunter clipped, 220g with neck
Millie - TB x Welsh D, out in the day in at night, hunter clipped, 200g with neck....

Both are nice and comfy warm.....

muffinino

Visit site
T has a bib clip and is out 24/7 with no rug
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
I'm such a cruel mam
wink.gif

I'm planning on giving him an Irish bib tonight (full neck,chest, over the top of legs and belly) so I'll stick a medium weight half neck on him. He has to have a half neck as normal rugs rub the bottom of his precious mane!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Full clip. She's in a heavy weight in the field during the day,in at night after schooling in a snug warm mark todd under rug, if very cold a stable rug on top.

MizElz

Visit site
Ellie is clipped - she's in a medium weight full neck turnout in the field, and a cotton sheet, Rambo fleece and lightweight quilt at night
smile.gif

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Neither of mine are clipped yet. George is a native breed so doesn't need a rug, and when it is both wet AND cold like today he won't get a lightweight rug because he's warmer without a rug if the rug has no filling, and I'd rather he got a bit wet but was able to keep the elements out with his coat, tbh. When he's clipped he won't need more than a medium weight unless we have an arctic winter.

Lanky is a warmblood and still isn't wooly at all. Last week he came in shivering/ears cold (it was not wet). I put him in a medium weight stable at night as he's standing around and he's in a medium turnout when it's really cold. Otherwise he goes out sansrug (when dry and sunny). He was beginning to lose condition really fast so I decided if he was cold and losing condition despite getting plenty of forage and other sources of fibre, he needed a rug. He'll need heavyweights when he has his trace clip.

Goes to show that all horses are different and need different rugging regimes. Whatever horse I had, though, I would not be putting a lightweight on them when it's cold and they are not clipped. Maybe when clipped but not unclipped. I tend to only use lightweights when it's warmish and wet.

zizz

Visit site
Hunter clip. he has a thick wool day rug and lightweight day and night, although am putting a medium weight on at night if forecast says it will drop below 8 oC. seems happy and bright and he lives out 24/7 so can always trot about a bit to keep warm.
The youngster resembles a yak but my broodmare doesn't have such a thick coat so may have a rainsheet on tonight.

DiablosGold

Visit site
My full clipped cob (hot horse!) is in a lw turn out during the day, with a fleece under if it's quite chilly, and either kept in that at night or mw stable.

marinitagsd

www.marinita-sportshorses.com
My girls are thoroughbreds and have a medium turnout during the day and a good quality stable rug at night. MY yearling has the same although I will be clipping one of my girls hopefully this week with a trace clip. Depending on the weather she will prob have lightweight feece under her turnout rug and the neck up on her stable rug at night which is folded back at the moment. They seem fine, not too hot and not cold either.
Anita
x

HenryandPeta

Visit site
It's so interesting to see how horses differ in temperature!

Henry is fully clipped (all except small saddle patch) and he's currently in his PE 70g very LW turnout - but it does have a full neck (mainly so he'll stay semi clean!). He's a big warm HW boy though and would be a sweaty mess in anything heaver right now. He lives out 24/7 and once the weather gets cold (it's still mild right now people!) he'll go to his MW then to his HW, and then in deepest winter he stays out but I add an old stable rug underneath his HW for extra warmth at night. This system worked fabulously last winter and he was a very happy chappy indeed :O)