What sentence from a seller would stop you going to look at a horse.......

Melody Grey

Visit site
My current horse’s sire was for sale - I found the ad whilst doing some googling names out of his passport.

Absoluely tons of detail on in hand showing achievements, titles, winning foals he’d sired etc. Then a single line at the bottom...
‘Broken to ride. Not novice ride’

...explains a lot about my current horse! 🙈

SillySausage

Visit site
"Well he's never done THAT before!"

I sold a youngster once who was nothing short of an old man in slippers... met the lady in a layby halfway between us to swap him over on to her lorry and he refused to load. He had NEVER EVER had a problem loading on a 7.5 tonne, a 3.5 tonne or a trailer. I was mortified and the lady eyeballed me obviously thinking I was lying.... :oops:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
This is interesting because I had to jump through hoops to buy Millie. The old owner wanted references from two professionals, she wanted to see my BHS certificates... all of which I could and did provide. It might have put some people off but it also gave me the feeling that this was a good horse that someone really cared about, rather than something someone wanted rid of quick.

But I can see how this sort of thing on an ad might put people off!
I went with someone to buy a pony like this and the old owners were a nightmare calling round at random times to see it, giving long lectures about its diet and bitching at shows about how it was going. May be okay if it was from the other end of the country :D

Auslander

Visit site
"Well he's never done THAT before!"
I had a pony for sale once - I'd broken her in, and she hadn't put a foot wrong. She'd hunted, pony clubbed, shown - angelic the whole time.
Someone came to try her, and she bronced down the long side of the school, dumped the child, and then did 74 victory laps of the school. She had never done it before, and never did it again!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I had a pony for sale once - I'd broken her in, and she hadn't put a foot wrong. She'd hunted, pony clubbed, shown - angelic the whole time.
Someone came to try her, and she bronced down the long side of the school, dumped the child, and then did 74 victory laps of the school. She had never done it before, and never did it again!
I think they know you are trying to sell them and don't want to go ;)

nikkimariet

Visit site
'It's a bit nappy'

Having had one, never again. Thanks!

Wouldn't be swayed by the OP comment - I was advised Fig went beautifully in draw reins when I went to see him. Also the horse I've just bought was in draw reins in the videos I was initially sent of him. I saw something under them and am so glad I went to try him anyway.

scats

Visit site
I went with someone to buy a pony like this and the old owners were a nightmare calling round at random times to see it, giving long lectures about its diet and bitching at shows about how it was going. May be okay if it was from the other end of the country :D

That’s a pain. Millie’s old owner is about 50 minutes away. We are friends on Facebook now and she likes my posts about Millie but never wants to get involved or ask questions. I’ve offered her to come and visit if she wants but she hasn’t taken me up on it.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I was window shopping - as I often do - and once saw an advert that said that the buyer must be willing to take on sellers advice. It was a nice little jumping horse but I would have carried on scrolling if I was seriously looking.

Hilarious.

ETA (because my post looked a bit bare and wasn't entering into the spirit of things): What would put me off would be any advertisement that mentions Parelli or natural horsemanship, or contains a photo of a horse behind the vertical.

Any nut-jobs. Because I'd wonder what they'd done to the poor horse.

Oh, and any mention of time wasters. I always feel so potentially a time waster because I like to check things out properly.

Last edited:

Brownmare

Visit site
You're welcome to ride my horse at the viewing, but I have a bad back so won't be able to ride first.
😂😂 I must be clinically insane because I once bought a horse after the owner told me she wouldn't let me ride him as she didn't want me hospitalised as he had put her in hospital!

The bleddy horse just stared at me intensely and I swear he begged me to take him away. FWIW I only ever came off him once and that was my own stupid fault. He is the most amazingly kind and generous horse but his training had been rushed and he couldn't cope with the pressure.

What would / has actually put me off is the owner denying the presence of a blatantly obvious problem (because a clicking stifle and inability to canter without going disunited is totally normal, right?!)

HobleytheTB

Visit site
"First to view will buy" - I don't know why that winds me up, it just has a slight air of arrogance about it! Or, the owner wants you to rush the decision before before you uncover the list of behavioural issues/ lameness.

Also - crap photos/ a single photo. It makes me think there is no evidence of the horse being a seasoned hunter/ jumper etc, or the owner just can't be bothered making a decent ad! It's a shame as some of those horse probably are decent, but it turns me off them immediately.

Follysmum

Visit site
I admit I did buy this horse on my gut instinct

“ He’s been an ornament for 3yrs I am too scared to ride him”

I tacked him up and rode him in an open field and he never put a foot wrong, I bought him on the spot, he was a great horse.