What sentence from a seller would stop you going to look at a horse.......

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
When the seller adds the horses name in the ad and it is “Dash”, “Cyclone”, “Luci - when it is a gelding, clearly short for Lucifer.

Having said that my best SJer was sold under the name “Zippie”.

vhf

Visit site
When I was young we bought a pony called "Fury" - that was a mistake :)

I bought a "Fidget" as a summer project when I was a teenager. My first dressage test combined comment read "Lovely canter, would have liked to have seen the other paces". She turned into a lovely pony - I sold her as "Figi" though... :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
When the seller adds the horses name in the ad and it is “Dash”, “Cyclone”, “Luci - when it is a gelding, clearly short for Lucifer.

Having said that my best SJer was sold under the name “Zippie”.

I have one horse named after the devil and one after the goddess of the hunt....:eek:

NLPM

Visit site
Interesting there are so many people who think 'No novices' is a negative thing! It's what's on my ad :(

I wouldn't necessarily be put off by it as long as there was an explanation - e.g. 'no novices as can be strong cross country/needs someone who can keep an eye on his weight' or something like that.

I wouldn't ring a POA advert, no matter how fabulous the horse looked, unless I suspected it was actually going to be dirt cheap.

be positive

Visit site
Interesting there are so many people who think 'No novices' is a negative thing! It's what's on my ad :(

I try to avoid putting a negative in any ad, so anything that requires a more capable rider would have the 'no novices' turned around into 'needs competent/ competitive/ ambitious rider' or whatever seems most appropriate, you may still get a few less than ideal people making contact but it does not put off people in the same way as it is seen as a positive selling point.
Any bad points/ vices will be in the ad on but with a brief explanation if required.

be positive

Visit site
This pony is not a total switched off plod, at times he can get a little anxious and needs reassurance from his rider. He does not behave dangerously just seeks encouragement

The above taken from the ad on the other thread would put me off and I am not a novice, that sentence is a red flag to me as it is there to cover the back of the seller, it is very carefully worded but does not describe something in any way suitable as a first pony, I think it is a shame it was sold to the person now selling him.

hellfire

Visit site
In my most recent search I encountered many things that put me off going to see horses. The one I ended up buying had quirky and not for a novice BUT he’s the most wonderful horse going. He’s quirky like my other lad as in likes to mouth things like the wheel barrow handles or pick his feed bucket up and wave it about. My friend was really concerned I bought him so quick as only had a lane to try him and my back and legs were screwed from the disaster viewing 4 days prior. He was a total dead to the leg plod but my gut told me he was board of only lane work. Sure enough this 5 year old was board. He’s fantastic forward going easy to do in every way. He needed a bit of confidence on the ground and was a little green never galloped etc but after a few weeks he learnt manors and came on well. Sometimes you have to see them and talk to the person as well as listening to your gut before total judgment on words alone.
The two previous one was a experienced hunter I tried in a large sand school. He cantered around and around and around and I shouted to the person ‘is he normally ridden in a snaffle?’ ‘No’ was the reply! So why advertise and let someone ride in a snaffel. Took ages before he finally stopped! The real clincher where my damage was done was a gorgeous friesian. Funnily enough a dealer had warned me it was crazy. Me being me having crazy horses all my life went to satisfy my curiosity as always liked a challenge. The owners were lovely and had sent it away for backing but she was a nervous rider and was told by the person backing he was good but sharp and quick. I think this was a genuine case of having the wool pulled over the poor woman’s eyes and her being silly not going to see it being ridden as she was a nervous rider who liked a plod but had rescued this horse. It was very nervous on the ground but lunged lovely and tacked up ok. My bum barely touched the saddle and it was full bucking bronco buck rear buck rear all around this littered sand school heading for the closed gate! I don’t know how I stayed on with only one foot in the stirrup and remember shouting at the small little man of a husband to let go get out the way as he was being dragged like a bit of string and didn’t want to fall on him or the horse trample him! He finally let go and I baled tucking and rolling under a gazebo (I said it was littered). The horse bombed off smashing through the gate. I was un injured just my back and legs a bit sore. They were so upset and devastated you could see the pure shock she was in tears. They txt me constantly in the days after asking if I was ok and she ended up having the horse pts as she deemed it so dangerous. She tried to help me look for a new horse and still keeps in touch from time to time. They genuinely did not know. I’d of taken that horse on just to give it a chance but had my days of breaking mad horses and wanted something easier this time. Sad end but never judge a book by its cover is the moto of this long post.

Visit site
I often put "Not a novice ride" or "would suit a competant, confident rider" on the ads for the horses at work looking for new homes. It's amazing how many people see a free or cheap horse and think they can ride/look after it as their first horse so I often put them on to try to discourage the muppets. I spend a hell of a lot of time weedling through messages, Facebook stalking etc before I will even reply to a person!

They are racehorses just coming out of training after all!

Mucking out - still

Visit site
Means walks all over you and has no manners.
The only plus side is they are often cheap, and if you can turn them out for a bit of herd lessons of life they can be sometimes turned around.

I had a hand-reared New Forest and although she could be opinionated at times, she was well mannered and never walked over people. Had to be very clear and consistent to achieve that, but we did, happily. Based on that it wouldn't put me off as much as it might have done, especially if they come to you young enough.

Summit

Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily be put off by it as long as there was an explanation - e.g. 'no novices as can be strong cross country/needs someone who can keep an eye on his weight' or something like that.

I wouldn't ring a POA advert, no matter how fabulous the horse looked, unless I suspected it was actually going to be dirt cheap.

I agree re the novice quote....it sounds better with an explanation.

I too wouldn’t bother with a POA. What’s wrong with declaring a price?:rolleyes:

Tonto_

Visit site
It wouldn't put me off if there was an explanation, but if someone is advertising what looks like the "perfect" horse then puts "no novices" or "not a novice ride" it makes me wonder why if this horse is as perfect as they're making it out to be?

hellfire

Visit site
It wouldn't put me off if there was an explanation, but if someone is advertising what looks like the "perfect" horse then puts "no novices" or "not a novice ride" it makes me wonder why if this horse is as perfect as they're making it out to be?
Sometimes people just want the horse to go to a knowledgable home where the best will be done for them. So they may worry a novice will ruin the good horse or not do what’s best by it. That’s why my friends add had no novices on. Everyone has to learn and start somewhere but some people genuinely worry. I’d not want my 6 year old who I’ve spent so long training and who in fact would suit a novice to ride ruined or hurt by strong hands for example as he’s got such a soft mouth. People don’t explain in adds.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I think the 'not a novice ride' thing is back to the old 'what is a novice' question
I have had horses which are perfectly 100% civil in every way, but have only been ridden by riders with decent balance and clear aids. I wouldn't know how they would cope with a wobbly person that they didn't know, and so I would put 'no novices' (or the equivalent- 'a competition horse accustomed to a competent, confident rider') to keep the riding school people out. I don't think it necessarily means that they would misbehave, just that they are not used to dealing with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

exracehorse

Visit site
Having advertised my horse for part loan, I’ve realised that 80 percent of those who viewed, were ‘novices’. Having a lesson at a riding school once a fortnight for 6 months does not mean your experienced

Tonto_

Visit site
Sometimes people just want the horse to go to a knowledgable home where the best will be done for them. So they may worry a novice will ruin the good horse or not do what’s best by it. That’s why my friends add had no novices on. Everyone has to learn and start somewhere but some people genuinely worry. I’d not want my 6 year old who I’ve spent so long training and who in fact would suit a novice to ride ruined or hurt by strong hands for example as he’s got such a soft mouth. People don’t explain in adds.
id never expect a 6 yea old to be a novice ride due to the age, I'd be more likely that said not a novice ride due to age than one that just said not a novice ride

I'm overly cautious though now as I went to try a loan horse and it said "not a novice ride" I asked why they explained it was cause they just wanted a more experienced rider looking after etc. went and tried her, owner rode first then I got on, she went fine for me, got off and the owner said "wow, you're the first person that isn't me that she hasn't reared and bolted with" :mad: I wasn't happy as they had sold it to me as pretty much bombproof (which I never completely expected with a 7 year old) but I didn't take the loan, even though I loved the horse, due to the fact they had lied to me like that. If she had miss behaved it could have ended very badly. I brought it up and said that I would have rathered they'd told me before hand and they said they didn't want to make me nervous!

Lois Lame

Visit site
I'm overly cautious though now as I went to try a loan horse and it said "not a novice ride" I asked why they explained it was cause they just wanted a more experienced rider looking after etc. went and tried her, owner rode first then I got on, she went fine for me, got off and the owner said "wow, you're the first person that isn't me that she hasn't reared and bolted with" :mad: I wasn't happy as they had sold it to me as pretty much bombproof (which I never completely expected with a 7 year old) but I didn't take the loan, even though I loved the horse, due to the fact they had lied to me like that. If she had miss behaved it could have ended very badly. I brought it up and said that I would have rathered they'd told me before hand and they said they didn't want to make me nervous!

I think, like most things that people say, it's very open to interpretation.

Did the owner of the horse really mean that of all the people who came out to try the horse, you were the only one who clicked with her? That's how I interpreted it.

: )