What shall I ask for this horse? Haven't sold a horse for 6 years!

billylula

Visit site
15hh
15 years old
Events very happily at 80 and has just started 90 with mostly double clears, the odd pole. Events, tetrathlon and show jumping with us.
Hunts really nicely.
Super easy to handle
Has some vet history but nothing that affects him now. Has lots of old scarring around his legs - we bought him with this and apparently the old owners bought him with it as well so its a very old injury (he's a new forest so it could be wire??) and that has never been an issue.

Should have sold him a couple of years ago but he's so easy and fun we couldn't bear it. But can no longer afford two horses :-(

I honestly have no idea as he's a lovely horse but obvs with some vet history and getting on a bit.

I absolutely hate selling horses, lol.

chaps89

Visit site
I’ve not looked in the last 6 months as we finally bought one for my mum but he was exactly what she was looking for and couldn’t find!
Age isn’t on his side but if he is sound, still fit to do a job and doesn’t have anything scary in his vet history I’d be starting at at least £5k, possibly more given he has competition history (is it recent?)

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
I think I'd be asking a bit more - maybe 7.5k. Older horses are less popular at the moment but he fits a lot of peoples criteria and if he was too cheap I'd be worrying that he was cheap for a veterinary reason.

Eta - looking on horsequest I'd def be pricing above 6k - there are some that are 10kish too, if he's easy, straightforward and safe you could be looking closer to the 10k.

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
If he’s sound enough to pass the vet, he sounds like a good, experienced type but depends on what the vet history is? Keep in mind that some buyers would be put off with the vet history carrying insurance exclusions, others who don’t insure may be less worried by that if he’s already consistently doing the job they want.

billylula

Visit site
He had an infection in the hoof wall so needed a hoof resection. All went very smoothly, had a year off for hoof to regrow amd no problem since

Thanks so much for the pricing ideas. He's very safe and easy. Maybe 8k?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
What caused such a catastrophic infection to require hoof resection and a year off? Would you be happy for any prospective purchaser to have access to your vet records concerning this? How long has the horse been back in regular work? That does sound like quite a significant vet history IMO.

Definitely would be excluded on any future insurance I would think. Such a serious and long term soundness issue (depending on more specific information of course) I would be very cautious. But I am sure there are plenty who would take a chance at the right price.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
There's absolutely no long term soundness issue according to vets.

Just to clarify I meant long term unsoundness in relation to needing a whole year off work - not what the horse's future soundness prospects are. But if you are happy to allow access to all vet notes concerning the year out then hopefully it won't put people off. Edited to add how along ago since he had this year off?

Goldenstar

Visit site
It would depend for me how good his flat work was and how he felt when tried ,he’s a sought after type and the age would not stop him being sought after a stepping stone to a horse .
He could just as likely sell to a small older adult .
The foot resection would not trouble me at all .
I would say between 6.5 and 7.5 is he feels safe and easy I think he will sell without much trouble .

irishdraft

Visit site
I've just sold a 16 yo 15hh Connie I had him up for 5k & had lot of interest. He has various minor health problems didn't pass the vetting but sold at a bit less to the first viewers so I think about 7.5k initially see what interest you get.