What shall I look for? Like a cob but not a cob?

indie999

Visit site
I am partial to cobs. I tried to look at other types but always drifted back to good old cob/or section D types.

Am thinking of what could I get instead after losing old boy(I think I keep thinking I will find another like him).

So I need a breed that will live out 24/7, carry 12stone for hacking only odd pop of small jump. Nice friendly nature etc. What other breed that is "no no no" similar to a Cob? But not a cob? Am thinking something less stubborn?My farrier told me not to get a heavy horse next time re arthritis etc.

I still drift to Cob but want to look at other options...so please tell me about other hardy breeds, temperaments common to that breed etc. Thank you.

Cheiro1

Visit site
I have a Welshy, she is 15hh, can easily carry 13 stone for jumping and fast work.

She has a heart of gold and I have never met a more mannerly horse tp handle, but she is sharp to ride in the sense she is hugely strong and will jig around, but she rarely bucks or anything like that.

I wouldn't think twice about having another :)

She is "athletic" build wise, def not heavy and when she is clipped out she just looks like a chunky ID X or something :)

Luci07

Visit site
Well amongst our grass liveries living out happily we have no cobs, a couple of warmbloods, 2 TB x and a luistano so I would not be too bothered about finding a type who will live out. Maybe look at an ID x if you want a heavier horse? but I would honestly focus on what you want to do rather than focus on a specific breed cross or type. There are such huge variances on breeds its very hard to say x breed always behaves in this manner. I have a mare, who is an extremely good doer, TB x cob. Will she deign to live out? will she heck! and yet my flashy well bred warmblood show horse did much better out than in..and my young ISH who lived out last winter has also decided he really loves his stable.

noblesteed

Visit site
I've got a lovely connie x andalusian for sale :) he carries 12 stone and loves hacking and a little jumping. He's well built and compact but a bit 'finer' And a lot more 'baroque' than a cob - no feathers etc but still the strong neck and quarters, with a handsome face.

ghostie

Visit site
What about an Irish draught? Loads of threads on here about them. Agree not to worry too much about whether the breed has a reputation for living out as all depends on the horse. My tb would happily live out :)

meesha

Visit site
my chap is passported as appy - see pics in my profile - loads of bone, 16h - good weight carrier - good doer but quite athletic and big jump. Is he cob or appy or mix ?

I would just look for approx size and age and ignore "breed" to a certain extent - pictures will tell you much more.

Welly

Visit site
Cleveland Bay If you are looking for a smart horse with no hairy legs, weight carrying, loving, and a true freind. If you want something a little faster and do a little more with try a Cleveland Bay X TB.

KSR

Visit site
Chapman type Cleveland Bay!!!

They are usually smaller, around 15-15.2 and cobbier..

Bit like my 2yo and his mum..

2yo - he's around 15.1 rising 3

837EF272-5691-4419-9A3F-F6FB9FC5E381-233-0000005660570FE8.jpg

Mum

61146b5e.jpg

Or!! My RIs ISH x Arab (50%) that I had on full livery to bring back to work.. My friend is riding.. Overgrown pony this one, 15.3 event bred, and actually does event with my RI now..

E52CFC9F-D4BA-4FA6-86AB-472B0D2C48DF-194-000000373379454F_zps7116e06f.jpg

Adopter

Visit site
What a lot of fun you can have looking.

We have had a number of full ID in our family and they have been family pets able to live out, and just doing hacking others have competed successfully in WH, eventing and dressage. All have been great rides, lovely temprements and easy to manage.

Hope you find that special friend who you will just know is the right one for you.

soltydog

Visit site
This ones a no-brainer surely!!!?? Definitely a highland ... nothing to compare to them ...

There is its called a Fjord

PandorasJar

Visit site
We have ID, ID x, Welsh x, wb, wb x, Arab x, Clyde x and tb out 24/7 unrugged. There's probably others I've forgotten! A handful are rugged but mainly stabled, can count on one hand rugged and out.

I'd go ID x if looking cobby but not. We've some lovely ones with a wide range of crosses, all with a great nature. Only one nutter and that's more tb than ID...!

Conniemara1

Visit site
Connemaras are clever and can therefore be stubborn! I think the same can be said for most pony breeds, it depends if you like the pony mentality or not... If you want something to do as it's told without giving their personal opinion then a "horse breed" may be a better bet but that is a massive generalisation! Mine is good at jumping (which is meant to be a breed trait) , very sure footed and an exceptionally good doer. There are different weights of connemara I wouldn't put 12 stone on mine though.

indie999

Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies I have looked at NF but think I am far too heavy(I probably would lose weight and I know I put it on not riding). But considered the Highland type...I like the look of those. Yes ID too.

Hadnt thought of Cleveland and like the look of those lovely pics. But I think a mongrel hybrid baked beans type will be good. Its the first winter without old boy and I think I have got soft! My house is tidy for a change!

But I think I will go out hacking at a school in the spring to get back in the saddle etc and take it from there. I am in no rush.

But thank you this has given me some food for thought. I just want slow horse basically! I like plodding about. Thank you though. At least I am starting to think of another one in my life. Losing old boy took me by suprise how hard it hit me. Cheers folks.