What should I charge?

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I am looking after someones horses for the long weekend and I don't know how much to charge them. This is the details
I have to do a 10 mile journey (each way) twice a day to feed, muck out and turn out. There are four horses.
Ideas please?

Thanks
Clare

Moggy

Visit site
Mileage at anywhere between 30p and 50p per mile depending on your car. £8/horse /day is going rate around here.

kirstyfk

Visit site
Have you agreed that you will get paid. Your friend might think that you are doing them a favour and that they will return it some day instead of paying you.

ihatework

Visit site
I would say inland revenue rates for mileage so 40p per mile i.e. for 40 miles this is £16
Then ontop of that, £5 muck out and £1 turnout/rug/feed each side of day.

Which works out at £88 for the weekend.

Sounds a lot but if she isn't a friend and is a business transaction I don't think she could really complain for this as essentially most of your weekend will be taken up doing her horses.

flyingfeet

Visit site
For ones offs I would expect £5 per stable and more for turning out and checking

So say £8 per horse per day = £64

However that doesn't allow for traveling & traveling time. Depends how much you want the job.

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I was thinking around £40 a day, these people aren't short of money and it isn't a favour she asked my farrier if he knew of someone and he knew I was looking for some weekend work. Thanks guys

pixiebee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking around £40 a day, these people aren't short of money

whats that got to do with how much you should charge??!!!!!!!!!!!!
£40 a day seems rather expensive to me, but thats just my opinion

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I don't mean that cos they are rich I can rip them off what I am saying it isn't a favour at all I don't even know them she was desparate to find someone so she didn't have to cancel her trip abroad. Taking most peoples advice £40 is actually slightly under and it will cost me about £10 a day to go back and forward in my fuel guzzler will also mean most of my day is there, which I don't mind I need the momey but it is just that a job for some spare cash - if you get me. Anyway thanks everyone and I will see what they say.

Sooty

Visit site
It sounds like a full weekend's work. They are lucky they have someone prepared to do the work, we are stuck for horse care totally. Definitely do not undercharge, I'd say 50p per mile at least. You'll be doing 80 miles, which is time as well as fuel and wear and tear. Work out a charge for mucking out, feeding, turning out, rugging etc. Oh, and make sure there is insurance in place!

M

madabout2

Price your time at 6.50 per hour and 40p max per mile. (anymore than 40p and the tax man will want some!)

That should be fair and they'll understand your breakdown of costs rather than charging for tunrout and muck out separately.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I am paying £7.50 per hour for the local mobile livery to look after mine while I go on holiday. Mind you she is local and works at the yard next door so thats obviously easier for her