What should I do with my horse?

Meadow21

Visit site
I have a very highly strung sports horse. He is brilliant however needs regular riding and is still very much a project. I am starting a masters in September, originally I though it was part time however I can only get funded to do it full time! I also have to work alongside doing this masters, so working 13 hour shifts 2-3 days a week and then study days 3 days a week. Revision on top of this. This will go on for 3 years! I am unsure about what to do with my horse, my livery owner suggested to go full livery and pay someone to ride or I ride late in the evenings. My family suggest I sell him to someone with more time and a friend suggested to loan him out. I am worried to loan him out as I have heard of lots of horror stories of loaners. I feel that with the masters however keeping him on full livery will be too expensive, I am early in my career and not on a high wage. Has anyone ever had to sell a horse for a similar reason?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It sounds like selling or loaning would be the most sensible option. If the loan breaks down, would you be able to practically and financially have him back at short notice? If not, then I'd sell.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Agree with either of the above.
Full livery and paying someone to ride just can’t really be feasible to anyone unless they are really financially secure/loaded! It would be costing you a fortune for very little gain.
You may also find it quite stressful having to visit or ride when you can on top of what already sounds a pretty busy few years.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have a very highly strung sports horse. He is brilliant however needs regular riding and is still very much a project. I am starting a masters in September, originally I though it was part time however I can only get funded to do it full time! I also have to work alongside doing this masters, so working 13 hour shifts 2-3 days a week and then study days 3 days a week. Revision on top of this. This will go on for 3 years! I am unsure about what to do with my horse, my livery owner suggested to go full livery and pay someone to ride or I ride late in the evenings. My family suggest I sell him to someone with more time and a friend suggested to loan him out. I am worried to loan him out as I have heard of lots of horror stories of loaners. I feel that with the masters however keeping him on full livery will be too expensive, I am early in my career and not on a high wage. Has anyone ever had to sell a horse for a similar reason?

It will also depend what you want to do when you finish uni, if you want to go and be a lawyer or a graduate accountant in London for example I would advise you to sell the horse - as you will be unlikely to have the time to deal with the horse.
I would personally go for a loan to either someone you know, or someone near uni so you can check on them. There are horror stories but there are also a lot of lovely loaners, it's just that you only hear about the bad. It's imperative though that you keep in touch with the loaner and check in.

Asha

Visit site
From a financial perspective id say sell. However, if you want to keep the horse for when you finish your education, then find someone local to loan and stipulate where the horse is to be kept so you can keep an eye on him/her.

maya2008

Visit site
Sell. Loaning always seems to go wrong, even to the best people (I know sometimes it goes right but I haven’t been that lucky!) and keeping him sounds like it isn’t a viable option. You won’t have the time or the money. You can always find another horse when your Masters is done, and in the meantime could get a share for stress relief and fun for a fraction of the cost and none of the long-term responsibility!

mariew

Visit site
Another one in the sell camp. You can then focus on your masters and then your career for a year or two before diving into horse ownership again. It's such a short period of your life you will be able to pick up horse ownership again.

Ratface

Visit site
From what you have told us, I agree with the advice of the posters above.
The horse will benefit from consistent, full time work and attention. You will benefit from knowing that you have made the best decision for your horse.
Good luck with your studies!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Could you loan him to stay at your current yard at least for a time so you can weigh up the loaner? You can see how/ if it can all work then. They may buy him if you chose to sell in the future?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think I would sell .
You are going to be very very busy and a horse like that is likely to a be something it’s hard to enjoy in that situation and you will end up not enjoying either experience to the full .
You could share him with a very committed friend but the risk of it all falling on your shoulders is there .