What should they do?

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
This is a LOOOng one, but there is a question to this .

Upon moving my horse to a new yard last year we came across a horsey girl who had just purchased her first 'pony'. A 14.1hh Piebald Irich Cob of approximately 14 years.
Now the owner had been very horsey in her youth (she is only 21 but we are talking 6 years ago), helping to break horses etc. But now after 6 years she was still a good rider but confience was lacking.

The pony himself was quite sweet, kept himself to himself in the field - bit of an old man really, sweet but with a look like he could kill you in 499 different ways i fhe wanted!
It all started quite well, she started a routine to fitten him as he had not been riden for a few years (This will prove an important fact later!). He worked well, nice paces, but started bucking when asked to canter. Had his back checked and nothing obvious except that needed a new saddle as he had lost weight, so a new one was bought. But hte buckign continued - even though he never got anyone off when doing it. THought it might be saddle again - nope, was even bucking with a VERY light rider doing bareback.
So she decided to work him from the ground and let him 'mentally' adjust, so she tried lunging. BAAD idea! He would rear up, spin, and go for her - UNLESS she long reined him?!

After moving to yet another yard with better facilities as he also had sweet itch and needed stabled, he continued to get worse. Gradually becoming agressive in the stable. He once kicked her in the face, and started going for anyone that would go into the field. He was then a few months ago moved to a family property as they thought maybe the large number of horses/people was not what he wanted, but he has gotten worse still and she now has no idea what to do.

Now she was sold this pony as it being an 'Easy to do, safe, novice ride'. Clearly it isnt, and cracks did appear after she had him for a few months, but she did not want to send him back to this dealer as she did not know what woul dhappen to him.
She spent £1500 on him (I would say that he is not worth more than £500). This 'dealer' is the same person that offered me £900 for my boy as apparently 'he would be hard to sell on' ?! He is a saint compared to this pony!

So I guess the main question is - What can she do? She cant afford to just keep him as a field pet, but she does nto feel confident selling him, and she cant just gfive h im to the ILPH as she has lost so much money on him - and gotten into debt cos of it! Can she, even a year on, Make a complaint about he dealer, as this pony is significantly NOT as was described, and there are about 8 of us that can give evidence to this - and a well know horse man in the area.

I feel so sorry for her
frown.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
So...

- She has had him a year?
- She hadn't ridden in 6 years when she got him?
- He hadn't been ridden in years when she got him?
- Cracks started to appear several months after she got him?

I'm sorry but no, I don't think she would have any come back at all.

As far as what to do with him goes... what is it he does? Is he totally unrideable or would someone with more experience be able to work with him?

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I agree, I doubt if the dealer would take it back unless she is willing to swap for something more suitable, however, the dealer may not want him back full stop, maybe this was why he was with the dealer?
It does sound like she should get someone with far more experience to come and help her, or send him away for retraining, but this will cost.
As he stands he will be hard to sell with all these problems.
Someone with far more confidence and experience maybe able to turn the horse around but he may still not end up being the right horse for her in the end.
She may have to cut her losses and look for something else.
where abouts are you?
regards
Dawn

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I can't see that she has any come back now, but a couple of thoughts occur to me, hope they might help.
1 is this pony really a driving horse, hence ok on long reins?

2 I would suggest cutting out all sugar and grain from his diet, we had a welsh cobxthoroughbred mare who could not tolerate either, when we changed her diet her sweet itch stopped and so did her erratic and sometimes dangerous behaviour. Be prepared for three days to a week of hell and don't ride him for a month, just spend time with him. It may not be his problem but it was with ours and it really worked, to the extent that we could always tell if some "kind hearted" passer by had fed her mints, bread etc!

_April_

Visit site
I wouldn't imagine that she has much comeback, especially after so long.

The 14.2 I ride sounds identical! Basically she was bought by someone my YO knows for their 14 year old daughter and basically the horse was just too much for her and used ALL of the tactics your friends horse has to frighten her.
In the end the girl gave upon the horse and my YO took her on out of sympathy. She was turned away for a year due to a tendon injury, but 2 years ago I was given the opportunity to try to ride her.

Basically I had about a year of battling with her where she tried all of the above tactics to put me off and intimidate me, and generally she just looked absolutely miserable with life. Eventually she started accepting and repecting me and I started to do more with her. Now 2 years on she is great, really sweet and has a whole new outlook on life!

It may just be that it's a bad match between horse and rider... the horse may be very safe to ride and easy to do if he realises that he can't get away with things but it sounds as though he is definately the type to try and take advantage of nervous handlers.

I think your friend should try and get someone to help her as soon as possible... maybe someone could part loan with her and try and work on his problems. That way he may become more manageble and your friend could have the fun on him that she deserves or she would find it easier to find a new home for him!

Sorry for the long reply lol but I have just been there and there is light at the end of the tunnel!