What stage should my 2yo be at?

Woodland

Visit site
Hi there
My mare had a surprise foal who will be 2 in February. At the moment she is living out 24/7 and will happily lead, pick out feet etc. But lately a real stubborn steak has emerged and she has started to rear to avoid co-operating with me and just generally being a bit of a tyrant. I am not very experienced with handling stubborn youngsters but hey im trying my best! Should I invest in a pressure halter which may deter her from rearing? Or is that too much for a 2yo? What are your views?
Thanks

the watcher

Visit site
Is she rearing when you are taking her out of her comfort zone (ie the field)..this is the start of napping and will be a real problem of you don't get her out of it..maybe trying leading her out for something nice (food) and then progressively make the distance longer, interspersing food with grooming or just some games so that she doesn't know what to expect

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We have a two year old who is just lovely, lovely, lovely - but does have a little mind of her own!!!

She is led in a pressure halter as she does have a tendancy to get a bit keen sometimes - and standing on her hind legs is one of the way she vents her frustration.

She is brought in every night so is consistently handled - which helps. She's not particularly small - and I have to be honest and say that I can be a bit of a wimp, but I find that as long as I am calm, try not to get wound up about any misbehaving then she is as good as gold.

You will get others on here with far more advise to offer - but I am a total convert to pressure halters - and use one now as a matter of course. We even use it on the foal!

amandaco2

Visit site
read up on youngsters-the richard maxwell book has a section on teenage rebellions!
a pressure halter would be good -but make sure you know how to use one or it could make things worse. if you are out of your depth it may be worth taking to to a stud for a while and letting them sort things out(provided you trust their methods) and then getting themt o show you and give you confidence to do it yourself.
it may also be worth bringing her in at night to increase the handling she has each day.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine little cob at 2 years old was wearing a bridle, saddle, long reining, loose schooling, work on a lunge line - but not on a constant circle, worked using the whole school. Walked, trotted, halted and back up on command and now walks, trots and halts on voice alone (nearly all the time). He also did in-hand shows. He walks over poles, over bags and general lessons in having him bombproof.

He goes out led off Cairo for 30 mins hacks which he loves - past tractors, combines, other horses.

At 18 months he started to be bolshy, barging, leaning etc. I immediately brought in a professional to put us both back on track. Basically he was finding his feet and seeing what he could get away with. With a mixture of NH and traditional methods he was taught very quickly to respect my space and what was permitted and what was not.

I now have a very well mannered little horse that is a joy to own and people comment on how good he is when I am out with him.

If you are in Essex, I can give you the details of the person I use - he has been great with Chancer and I have him out every 2 weeks to give lesson and monitor our progress.

Mine is now 2 1/2 and I have just started backing him - by taking things very slowly he has apart from one bucking incident been excellent.

I have to add that I have been very lucky to have such an intelligent, laid back and so easy to train youngster as my first baby.

Sooty

Visit site
What do you do with her? With Beano we have found he responds very well to new experiences, nothing special just things like walking over feed bags, being led out for walks in hand, having a saddle placed on his back etc. He is used to wearing a bridle, having his feet done, being groomed etc. His trick when being led is dropping onto his knees! He still enjoys wrestling the farrier and hates the measuring stick, but I think like puppies and children, young horses need stimulation. It is also important not to overdo it while they are still babies, so a few minutes is plenty - apart from the walks, obviously. Your mare is at the age to be trying it on a bit, so be firm. I am sure you do wear a hard hat for leading, especially as rearing can be so dangerous. A pressure halter may help, it is worth trying certainly.

Woodland

Visit site
Thanks all your suggestions, its so daunting when you have this animal at the end of a rope towering above you! but it sounds like im not the only one! I think I need to bring her up to the farm, so she is in at night and start some real education with some help. Theresa I would appreciate you giving me them details as you are not far from me, thanks. Ive had a look at the pressure halters, thats one for the xmas list.

Woodland

Visit site
Well to be honest I dont do very much with her apart from leading, feet, grooming etc, but it sounds like I need to do more. maybe because I am not doing very much ie only weekends she needs to be stimulated more. Once she is up on the farm I can do more with her and get some help too.

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you want the number of the person I have had a lot of help with PM me with an email address I can reply to as I cannot send you a PM.

If you are not to far from me, you are welcome to come and see my little chap and how he is as a two year old and I am happy to show you some of the things I do with him to keep him in order.

I have not used any pressure halters - my fish finger stance is enough to stop my boy in his tracks - but he is only 14.2 and normally very sweet natured and not temperamental or high strung.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Yep and replied saying I know exactly where you are
grin.gif

annaellie

Visit site
I found my filly who is 2 in april was a nightmare for my mum to handle with me she never put a foot out of place and other people on the yard she is great I guess my mum is fairly nervous and she is sensing that from my mum so playing up on it. But I agree that a pro is the best thing to do I always ask my instructors advice and could never have managed some of my horses without them. It gives a view that we sometimes can not see in our own horse, I had one horse that galloped to fences her being my horse I was like she just keen and my instructor pointed out that she needs more schooling and am 90% responsiable for her and I took on bored what he said and she soon slowed up.