What supplements do you feed?

cobgirlie

Visit site
My YO thinks I'm a bit of a supplement queen because I like to help my horses diets with added extra's. :D

Mine get garlic with mint in spring/summer. Brewers Yeast year round for digestion and coat, Rosehips for joints year round and seaweed as a balancer for winter. I'm currently also giving one of them haylage balancer because he has trouble with the extra haylage given over winter. :rolleyes:

I definately can see the garlic helps keep bugs away over the summer. Since feeding Rosehips the oldier cob's joints no longer click, and the brewers yeast has been invaluable for scouring problems with the cob too.

What do you feed yours and why? Also do you see the benefits or just feed because you think you should?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I feed topspec balancer all year round so won't add anything unless I over dose. But I will feed garlic all year round. The garlic doesn't help much with the flies unless the horse sweats and than it's relised through the horses pores I just feed it to keep the worms away as it's ment to repel them.

ThePony

Visit site
Microionized linseed, yeasacc, brewers yeast and heavy magox. Suits them both and they both look super well on it with plenty of energy and stamina too! They have the above added to no sugar chaff and a little sloppy unmolassed sugar beet to dampen it down.

Kenzo

Visit site
Argo Cod Liver Oil all in one Vit Min supplement, fantastic stuff - always for all horses I've had

Naff Pink Poweder - more so in winter, again both horses

Biotin - always for any horse

Naff Super Flex - both been on it a month so trying it

GH's Rig Calm - always for lado

Equimins Serenity - always for lado

Seaweed - used on a horses with poor/itchy skins, very good stuff.

Both horses are on high fibre low starch diets without build in/extra sources of supplements in the feeds.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Herbie gets fed RIG CALM :eek: in a little bit of hifi light.

I don't feed anything else apart from hay but Lucy used to get Glucosamine (sp?), Vitamins and pro biotics. I'm always careful about feeding supplements esp herbal ones as I did a course on holistic horsecare and some herbs are harmful in large doses. Alot of these herbal remadies contain the same herbs so you need to watch you don't overdose on some of the herbs.

K27

Visit site
I feed:

Garlic, but have recently changed to NAF garlic and mint as mint good for digestion apparently.

one on Biotin and Magnitude

Pink Powder

Cortaflex

Linseed Oil

Hippona

Visit site
Pink Powder...all year round, to all 3 horses - 2 of the horses are on restricted diets and the arab had a runny stress bum when I got him. All sorted now.

Maxacalm for the arab-chills him out and stops him plopping himself whenever a door bangs lol.

And thats it. Plenty of hay/grass and a high fibre/oil diet.

I have to keep it simple....;) ...like me:D

K27

Visit site
I feed this supplement! I paid £20 odd for it though, which was rather expensive!
How much did you pay? :)

Do you mean the NAF Mint and Garlic? (in a silver coloured bag)

If so- I paid about £9.00 for it at my local feed shop, I can't remember if it was a 2kg or 3kg bag, but it definitely wasn't £20!!

sarahann1

Visit site
Jazz gets Garlic, a multi-vit and extraflex with rosehips
Smartie gets Garlic, Feedmark balancer and extraflex with rosehips

Both are on 'straight' fibre diets hence balancers and multi-vits. They are both old and creaky so the joint supplements helps (my vet says they are on a good one). The garlic is supposed to do lots of good stuff so they get that too.

Elsbells

Visit site
Added to her happy hoof and cheapo pony nuts is;
dried mint
Micronised linseed
pinkpowder
magnesium powder

brewers yeast and seaweed when she needs it and I can be bothered, as she is barefoot.

She looks and feels fantastic!