what supplements do you give ?

Malibu

Visit site
i am just wondering what supplements you all give to your darling horse's and why, what are your reasons for that supplement and that particular brand?

just a nosey post but i am also intrested in which ones are succesfull etc! thanks in advance

KatB

Visit site
At the mo, Propell plus to give him a boost going into winter, garlic and biotin for his tootsies!! Electrolytes when needed. When in hard work, he goes on Superflex as a preventative measure, to try and safe guard joints!!

not_with_it

Visit site
non, she doesnt need any
grin.gif
I might put her on cortaflex for the winter tho so she doesnt stiffen up.

Salcey

Visit site
Equimins garlic - natural antibiotic, and good fly repellent
D & H mint - aiding digestion, my gelding hasn't had colic since he's been on it, so now give it to all of them.
Gold Label cold liver oil - lovely glossy coats and must be good for joints also
D & H seaweed - tops them up with any minerals they might be lacking from the soil.

Touch wood all mine are nice and healthy and as you can see spolit rotton
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
well everyone will shoot me down as apprantly i 'pump my horse full of unneccessary suppliments', but this is what she gets and why:

sunflower seeds - for skin/coat as shes gets scurfy (she was on equidermus but it was costing a fortune so i swapped)

cortaflx - shes got bad hocks and i was told by my vet to feed her this (she will undoubtably get arthritis in a couple of years time in them
frown.gif
)

Global Herbs Skratch & Zephyr - for her pollen allergy, she has to have it up until novemeber then starting again in february as otherwise shes in serious discomfort from her alergy

D&H Breathe Free - she only gets a mini amount of this a day now, it helps with her coughing due to her pollen allergy.

(i might add that my new horse (if he passes) will be on no suppliments at all for anything. All Bloss's have been recommended by my vet after long discussions)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I feed both horses Feedmark Benevit. Loan horse has electorlytes also when needed.

I used to feed Amymay cortaflex, but don't bother now that she is no longer in work.

riotgirl

Visit site
My girl gets NAF easy breath stuff to sort out her snotty nose! The only reason it is NAF is becuae I got in on offer from one of the shows.
blush.gif
I'm not at all brand loyal so may swap to something else when I've used this tub up!

Tempi

Visit site
i must say that when bloss was on the equidermus her coat was fab and so was her skin, never had any problems. Ive only just introduced the sunflower seeds so il just have to see how it goes. The equidermis was costing me £50 a month.

fairhill

Visit site
Chloe has Feel good 30 skin supplement. She has shire-horse dermititis (can't remember the official name) and this has zinc, MSM and oils which have really helped to reduce the itchiness, skin flaking and mudrash symptoms. We took her off it over summer, and the symptoms came back, so she'll be on it for life.

Meg is currently having NAF Mudguard - only because we bought it for chloe as we couldn't get hold of the Feelgood stuff, and Chloe refused to eat it...

bellaboo

Visit site
I feed Newmarket joint supplement for a problem my mare had with the cartilage in her fetlock joint. Vet said to use it, now too scared to take her off it incase thats whats stopping her from going lame!!!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
what do you think of feedmark supplements?

[/ QUOTE ]
I love them. Both horses look wonderful, and actually loan horse's coat has never looked better (I've known her all her life).

I also had AmyMay on their Bespoke formula over last winter because she was on such a strict diet, and I was worried about specific nutritional shortfalls. Again she looked absolutely wonderful - despite being unrugged and very wooly. I would go as far as to say that she had never looked better actually.

Personal choice obviously, and I suppose it depends on what your after - but I don't think I would use a different suppliment company now.

Malibu

Visit site
thank amymay, they sound very good and i ahve researched feedmarks joint supplement alot comparing to other leading brands and i am vwery much impressed and they seem very helpfull to when asking questions! i think i shall go amke my order NOW! thanks

Baileysno1

Visit site
None! Well kind of I feed topspec feed balancer which leaves my horse with a fab coat, feet good topline and seems to keep him calm too, guess if you ate a good diet you'd be happy and calm too thats my theory anyway. It costs me just under £1 a day so compared to buying lots of different supplements it seems quite good value.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Garlic, Supposed to help respiration and flies in summer (well not help the flies but you know what I mean!) Dodson and Horrell Mobility (but will prob go back to Cortaflex) For suppleness and Solvitax RA oil for the same reason.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Is there room in the bucket for some food after all that lot? No seriously if the horse needs it then why not?

My lad just has blue chip & garlic in with Hi-Fi Lite & carrots at the moment. He's fine, I'm fortunate he doesn't need anything else at the moment.
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
she only has tiny amounts of each, so it hardly looks like anything in her feed bowl! if she didnt have a pollen allergy then there wouldnt be half as much, as it is, she does which is a pain in the backside! (as it all costs a fortune too) - i cant wait to get a horse that (hopefully) dosent need any suppliments - bliss!!!!!!!

eekmon

Visit site
TopSpec Balancer- Hes old, so has all minerals and vits he needs + Biotin as hes got crap feet and a pro- biotic for healthy gut!

NAF Cider Vinegar-Good for stiffness, joints, blood, coat ect

Black Sunflower Seeds- Fab coat shine and good for feet

smile.gif

Pasha

Visit site
Up until last year my boy only ever had garlic and cod liver oil, however, due to a knee injury and old age, he now has:

Blue Chip Pro - for general all round condition - it's fab, everyone thinks he looks about 12 and he is 19!
No Bute - only started this week as he's developed a bit of arthritus in his hocks - amazing improvement after day one!
Pure Soya Oil - even with Blue Chip Pro he is a scurfy monkey but we've found this to be the best of the oils for his coat
Garlic Flakes - as he has very thin skin and gets eaten alive by every insect out there!

He had a knee injury last Feb and the vet suggested Cortaflex which didn't help at all... we then tried 5*Superflex but now he is on No Bute he doesn't need either as he's prancing around like a spring lamb!

Marilyn

Visit site
Both hae Equimins Pro Bio and Equimins Garlic and mare also has Equimins Neutra X. I can't fault their products, excellent value, simple to order, delivered to the door for free, great results. And both my horses look amazing and they only have fibre to eat!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
None. I don't believe that a horse on good grazing in normal work needs any at all. Mine doesn't - I also think that if your horse needed supplements he would have bad feet, bad coat, lethargy etc. Probably get shot down for that but hey ho
smirk.gif

After hard work I feed electrolytes - use Equine America. Initially I bought them because they were the only ones my tack shop had but have stuck with them as they're products are good.

This time last year I was feeding calmers but not needed now. Used several, Equine Am is good but doesn't suit my boy. Topspec is excellent, NAF is rubbish. Also fed NAF pink powder when he got a virus but didn't do anything that time wouldn't have done (in fact he had time off and IMHO it was that cured him).

MagicMelon

Visit site
NAF Superflex. Brilliant stuff, seen a massive difference in one of my horses and he wasn't even stiff (I didnt think!). Really amazed by it.

Seaweed. Feed this alongside usual feed just coz I believe it helps with their coat etc.!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Coligone (Storm twice a day and Missy once in the evening). Why? Storm's behaviour has been pretty appaling and as we were due to move into college (stabling pretty much 24/7) I wanted to try something and after a chat with H's mum tried Coligone. Her behaviour has improved amaizngly! (She has always been a baggage to shoe and when my farrier last cam he asked me if she had been doped because she was so good!) Her skin and cuat are in excellent condition, she's not at all stressy and her weight is holding brilliantly even though both girls don't get much in the way off hard feed and 2 haynets a day.
Missy was looking crap (dull starry coat and had dropped alot of weight and looked really misrible) and after a syringe of liquid every evening for 3 nights she had put on weight, her coat was shiny and gorgeous and she was so much happier.
Will reccomend it to anybody!
laugh.gif

kat
xx

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I think Ellie has had most of them in the past two years
blush.gif

At the moment she has

Gold Label Glucosamine as she is very stiff behind and I want her as supple as possible for the winter

Biotin as she is barefoot at the back and I find without it I can't keep shoes on her front feet.

Honey cause I swear by it for general good health and nice coat

Oil again for her coat and bowels
grin.gif

In the past she had had Farriers formula, Tranquility (when she is on season as she is a cow bag, just like her mum
grin.gif
), Solvrite (or is that a glue?
confused.gif
anyway thing for joints again), Cortaflex, various different oils (IE Linseed, Soya etc).

She totally needed building up when I got her so we used anything we thought right at the time.

Edited because I forgot these:

Salt if worked hard, Garlic in the summer to keep the nasty flies off!
smirk.gif