What the heck is going on here???

Nativelover

Visit site
I posted a few weeks ago about my native pony having come down with a virus weeks after being turned away for the winter whilst I had my baby.
Well he's more or less over it now but I've had him on full livery to convalesce and (thankfully) gave him an extra couple of weeks to avoid storm Barbara and this cold snap.
He was hopping lame a couple of weeks ago, fetlock area near side fore. Vet found nothing other than slight heat and pain. Cold therapy and continued with danilon. Was sound within a few days.
Took him off the danilon 3 days ago, hopping lame on offside fore!!
X-rays have been done which show nothing other than slight arthritis, ultrasound is being carried out tomorrow.
Anyone any ideas as to what is happening here??? Vet has no explanation for it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Did the vet look any higher for pain than the fetlock? Is it possible that the heat there is not the cause of the lameness, but it's higher up? Or, if he didn't nerve block, in the foot. That lameness would be typical of an abscess.

Nativelover

Visit site
Did the vet look any higher for pain than the fetlock? Is it possible that the heat there is not the cause of the lameness, but it's higher up? Or, if he didn't nerve block, in the foot. That lameness would be typical of an abscess.

Vet and farrier have checked feet, there's no pain or pulses. Nothing on X-rays indicate abscess or lammi.
He's a very stoic animal, but hates vets so isn't easy where needles are concerned. It's bizarre how this has happened!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
X rays often don't show up abscesses. I had a horse on three legs whose abscess didn't show or react top hoof testers once. A friend had one who shed the whole sole and frog in one piece! If nothing is found on the scan, I wouldn't rule it out, but it might drag on and on if the pony is given bute. I hope you find an answer soon.