What time do you see your horse on Christmas Day

sunshine100*

Visit site
Last year I knew a lady who did not turn up until late afternoon.YO sorted their horse out and charged double. This was DIY.Nothing in place beforehand.

Pippity

Visit site
Last year I knew a lady who did not turn up until late afternoon.YO sorted their horse out and charged double. This was DIY.Nothing in place beforehand.

I'm on full livery (and paying more than double the usual rate for it) so I'll be heading up at 10 on Christmas Day for our traditional mince pies, mulled wine & bucks fizz, before the entire yard goes for a wee hack, decked out in tinsel!

TelH

Visit site
I see mine the same time as usual as they are at home.
The last livery yard I was on the YO made sure everyone had arrangements beforehand. I turned 3 extra out for people so they only had to go down later in the day. A few people went as usual and the YO did a couple that were on full livery.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
I'm on DIY, will go up at 5/6am before my little sister is up to open Santa's presents :) Will load them with hay water, they have a PJ day and lots of treats.
YO will put another haynet in and check on them in the late afternoon.

be positive

Visit site
I'm on full livery (and paying more than double the usual rate for it) so I'll be heading up at 10 on Christmas Day for our traditional mince pies, mulled wine & bucks fizz, before the entire yard goes for a wee hack, decked out in tinsel!

If you are already on full livery why are they charging extra, it has never occurred to me to add an additional charge to my monthly rate, horses are done as normal but the in at night ones will be put to bed a bit early before I go for a late lunch with friends/ clients.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Mine live out, but up about 9.30 am for our yard xmas ride, then off to eat lunch and back about 4.30 to give the horses their xmas dinner (all the peelings and a half can of guiness!). Luckily Ma lives close to home and yard and I dont have to cook or clean up!!

windand rain

Visit site
Earlier than usual as we go to family for lunch and present opening. So about 8am being retired and them living out we dont have a set time so can drop in and out when it pleases us. Second check is a quick glance by friends and landowner not ideal but works. Hopefully it will be a mild and not too wet day so travelling isnt an issue

Pippity

Visit site
If you are already on full livery why are they charging extra, it has never occurred to me to add an additional charge to my monthly rate, horses are done as normal but the in at night ones will be put to bed a bit early before I go for a late lunch with friends/ clients.

It's a slightly odd arrangement, where liveries now pay the grooms directly, rather than them being employed by the yard. It changed last year, and there has been a slight dip in the quality of service (nobody enforcing that, no, horses can't be brought in two hours early because you've got plans this evening) but it basically works.

I can understand charging extra for people who have their horses on full livery for just that day, but I am a bit grumpy about being charged the extra when I'm on full livery year round. Still, last year, they didn't offer any services at all on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day, so at least there's something available.

BOWS28

Visit site
I go up first thing at about 7 to feed, muck out and give her some grass. Leave her snuggled in the stable with loads of hay, a lucie brick and her treat ball :p will then go back after present opening and lunch to ride/lunge and put her to bed :) it wouldn't be Christmas without plenty of pony loving doses!! Plus, i am on DIY so have got into the habit of not being able to relax unless i know she has everything she needs and is cosy and happy!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine are out, so it doesn't really matter. I'll probably go up mid morning - 10ish - and ride anything I need or want to ride (depending on weather!), sort their field, leave them with hay and head home (mid afternoon).

SpringArising

Visit site
If you are already on full livery why are they charging extra

My yard charges extra (and by this I mean double) for all services (including full livery) too.

I sort of understand it, I mean people who work Christmas and Boxing Day usually get double pay so I guess they have to pay up the extra.

I'll be going up for about 8:30am.

ihatework

Visit site
This year I’m on competition livery!
I offered to muck out the small barn (2-3 horses, mine included) and will exercise mine. They feed at 7 so I’ll probably get there 7.30/8.

Last year in DIY I did mine 7.30/8, dashed off for various things and then finished off 3/4 which would be earlier than normal but he had to suck it up for a day.

HashRouge

Visit site
I will be at the other end of the country visiting my parents. Haven't seen the ponies on Christmas day for a few years now, which is a shame, as I always used to love the Christmas Day yard routine. My sister and I were usually up early and hacking out by 9am, when the roads were deserted. Now my two are on grass livery anyway, so will just have their usual routine. I suspect YO may turn up slightly later than usual on the 25th, but doesn't really matter since they're out with a good amount of grass!

Merrymoles

Visit site
They'll be on normal weekend hours so turned out at 8am, mucked out etc, and brought back in some time between 4.30pm and 6pm, depending on weather, plans etc.

Weekday hours are out at 6.30am and in at around 6.30pm but we have found that they are absolutely fine with a couple of hours either way, hence the later turnout and earlier bring-in times at weekends.

alibali

Visit site
Same as usual, breakfast then turn out at about 8, in at 4, last check and hay at 10-1030ish. I'm lucky they are at home so I can spread their feeds out, small pony cant have ad lib or he ends up enormous and laminitic!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
On DIY so Pretty much same as normal 7-7.30 am and 4-5pm. I may ride if the weather is decent. First on yard feeds. I will help with others especially in afternoon if they have family staying.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
The usual time in the morning - around 8am. We usually do them a bit earlier than normal in the evening. They are usually done around 6ish but will probably go up around 5ish as we usually have dinner late in our house. We just make sure to put in extra hay and water :)

Shooting Star

Visit site
I’m on assisted grass livery and horses are due to move onto a fresh field in a few days so will just be going up the once in the morning to check over & will get a evening check by the yard.

Asha

Visit site
Christmas day is one of my favourites with the horses. We put extra shavings in the night before, then give them some breakfast at 8am, about 10am we go off for our xmas day hack. Turn them out, bring back in about 5pm, then they get xmas dinner, basically we save all the trimmings off the veg. Once they are tucked up, we have a glass of bubbly with them. Turn the lights out at 7pm. Love it.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm on morning duty so I'll be up at 6.30-7 like I am whenever I put them out (a few of us we have a rota). I'll do everything and then be home in time for breakfast. A friend gets them in as she's driving home from her parents after Christmas dinner anyway so can't have a drink and it's only a short detour for her.

SEL

Visit site
Probably pretty early with OH in tow so they can both be fed, mucked out and abandoned for the day in their field with extra hay. We will be very late bringing them in though which might cause some problems because my mum is cooking and her timekeeping is very approximate! (probably the cooking sherry doesn't help that much)

All DIY and assisted DIY have to fend for themselves on Xmas, Boxing and NY day.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Same as usual, about 7. Chores and hack, home by 9am ish

Afternoon might waver as have guests for lunch about 2, so might nip out about 4 to drive over and do them. When it's just dh and I, we don't have xmas dinner till after I've done the yard, so I can have a glass of vine.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine are at home and I tend to always be at home over Christmas, mine are still out most of the time and I tend to give them the rested bit of field so I don't have to worry about putting hay out all the time so it makes it very easy.