What times AM and PM do you do you horse?

bellaboo

Visit site
My husband has started a new job today, i have to be back home for the kids by 7am and may not get back down the yard till 7/7.30pm when my husband gets home, which means the horses have to be out by 6.00/30am and won't be brought back in till 7.30/8pm, (both my girls are stabled) am abit concerned this may not work?

Does anybody else do their horses really early or late, how do you manage it, how does it affect you and your horses?

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
we put ours out about 9am, then they get brought back in about 5pm. we have a rota for bringing in in the evening so that we don't all have to be there twice a day. Is there nobody that you could have an arrangement with like this. There are times where we are all there and sometimes i go up when i don't need to but the nice thing is that i don't always have to. It's not easy when you have kids and stuff to consider too. you might find there is someone else there struggling and would like be quite happy to share the load with you. Maybe they would be have for you to put theirs out early then they could bring yours in with theirs at about 5 or something.
If not, i am sure if they are warm enough and have enough to eat, and get into a routine with it they will be fine.

dixie

Visit site
I go up at 7am and back up about 6pm.

i'm sure your horses will be fine but its a slog for you!

Can anybody on your yard help with the putting out for example if you help them with the bringing in?

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Depends if I am on shift or whatever.

Weekends we both go together for about 830/9 and then back there later for between 430 and 5.

During the week, on a nonshift day I get there 830ish and on a shift day I will get there for about 6ish. During the week, whether on shift or not, the YO will bring in, pick out feet and change rug for £2 per horse, so I will take advantage of that service.

RachelB

Visit site
We have a rota/share duties between the three of us which is MUCH easier than doing it all on my own. They get done in the morning at 8am ish, and "put to bed" (they are out most of the time) before nightfall. This time of year it's 4/5pm which I hate doing, as they are left for more than 12 hours overnight... I would much prefer to have decent lighting at the yard and do them at even intervals. Having been forced to see my horse once a day for a few months last winter, and having got to the field once to find a leg torn in barbed wire fencing and once to find my horse (with a bad tendon injury) having jumped out into next door's field... I really hate leaving them for too long!

MACCIMOO

Visit site
i work shifts so at least 3 days a week my horse is out at 7am and in at 19.30 it doesnt seem to bother him,the other days he is out at 08.00 and in at 18.00 seems quite happy with this

PnO

Visit site
Mine go out at whatever time i get there in the morning, sometimes it's 7.30 sometime it's 10! But there always in by 4, if i'm at work the YO gets them in for me and i go up after work to a change rugs and feed etc, if i'm not working they also get brought in around 4 by me as it gets dark so early and if there left out when all the others are in they go crazy and cut up my paddock!

DuckToller

Visit site
Presume they are both in the same field as mares? So at least they will have each other. If there is some grass still in the field, they will be fine. Might be a bit keen to come in if the field is bare though, in which case looking at sharing or paying someone would be worth it.

I used to turn out before work and put in hay water and feed so a friend could just bung my horse into his stable, and I would go up later and check him over and skip out. In those days I still changed rugs over, now I have breathable so don't change them - another job saved.

maxapple

Visit site
Min go out at 5.15am as i have to do them before work. They are then brought in either by me at around 4pm, or by someone else at the yard at about 5 or 6pm.

I out hay out for them, as they are always standing at the gate ready to come in by the time i get there.

However - this weekend we're moving to a new yard and going onto full livery and I can't wait. Being out in the freezing cold at 5am is not fun!!

Sophiesmum

Visit site
Ours are out by about 5.30 (I ned to be home by just after 6 so OH can go to work). I do get them in about 2ish, and then go back about 6.30 to finish them off. If you find it's too long for yours to be out, is there anyone that could get them in mid-afternoon maybe?

Boxers

Visit site
I put mine and one other out at 7.45am, then the YM brings mine in at lunchtime, then me and daughter go down at 5.15pm and either put him to bed or she rides in the lit arena and then puts him to bed

RussianGirl

Visit site
We have turnout shifts, with 4hrs turnout per horse, per day; the first lot get turned out at 5:15am, the last are brought in at 7pm.

And, yes, FYI, this 17 year old has been getting up at 4am for the last 3 years; everyday. [And not just becasue it gives me something to moan about... honest....]

Natassia

Visit site
I'm sure your horses will be fine, remember they can see in the dark much better than we can, its not so nice for us walking out in the fields in the dark but if they're warm enough and they have each other's company they'll be ok. They might be a bit confused in the beginning about the change in routine but they'll soon adjust. Just make sure that you're safe and that you have decent enough light in the fields so you're not messing around with electric fence or whatever in the dark.

My horse is on DIY and I turn him out between 7am and about 8.30am depending on what I'm doing. This time of year I bring him in between about 4.15pm and 5.30pm. We have an arrangement at the yard where no horse is left out alone so if someone can't get down until later they don't need to worry. You're going to be tired with your new routine so like others have suggested it might be an idea to share turn out/bring in with someone. Maybe if they turn out and bring in you could go down in the day when you're free and ride, and muck out yours and your friends, just an idea.

bellaboo

Visit site
Bit tricky to work out someone to bring in for me although have managed to sort something out with my long suffering friend! Will have to see how it goes over the next few weeks, they have each other for company and grazing isn't toooo bad at the moment, think i'm just going to have to get myself into a decent routine, roll on the summer
grin.gif

Booboos

Visit site
Mine go out between 7.30 and 8.00 depending on when I have to get to work and come back in at 2.00 to ride otherwise it gets too dark.

I'm sure they will be perfectly fine, especially if they have something to munch on.

Lulup

Visit site
Sorry to go against what everyone else says but I don't think it sounds like a great plan for your horses and think that you would be better in the long run if you could get someone else to bring them in earlier either for return favours or small fee. Your horses could potentially be out for 12 - 13 hours in wet/cold/freezing conditions and it is the last 3-4 hours of this period, hanging in the gateway in the dark and mud - possibly hungry and fed up - that accidents tend to occur. Particularly if your horses are clipped I would not even consider leaving them out for this long, if they are out by 6.30 am then even bringing them in at 1.30pm gives them 7 hours which I would say is more than enough for most horses at this time of year. Obviously it depends on personal circs and your horses (only you know them well enough to decide really) but it sounds less than ideal.
frown.gif

251libby

Visit site
I agree with lulup it's just too long for some horses, mine would go mad and just stand at the gateway looking miserable. The yard turnsout for me between 7.30 and 9.30 and then I get her in between 3.30 and 5. But, my fields don't have much grass at all.

chazbegger00

Visit site
Sorry but there is nothing wrong with this, what about all of the horses with 24/7 turn out? I think your plan sounds fine, horses are horses just make sure they have enough clothes
laugh.gif

reddie

Visit site
I also think your plan sounds fine. Mine goes out about 7.30am and is in by 4.30pm. He's on a livery yard and we have to fit in with the others but if i could i would leave him out abit longer. It's only what they get used to.

Pep12

Visit site
They will be fine. My horses go ut at 6.30am and come in about 6.30pm. We are in North Scotland!! Toasty rugs and either plenty of grazing or grass and all will be well. Trust me they will be healthier and happier not cooped up for 18-20 hours a day. They will get used to their new routine and only gate hang for the last half hour to an hour. Horses are tougher than we give them credit for. Anthropomorphism is a terrible human trait!!

NikkiF

Visit site
Have to agree it's a long time when the weather's so miserable. At this time of year I t/o about 8:30, then pay the YM to bring in between 2 and 3. They've still got a decent amount of grass in their field, but they're always waiting at the gate for her! I get back to yard about 5:30 to feed, finish of, groom and have cuddles
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I put the horses out between 6.45 and 7.15am - they come in at 4.30.

I too think it's a long time at this time of year for them to be out past 5.00 ish when out so early.

Why not just pick up the kids from School and go straight to the yard to bring the neddies in??? Or pay YO to do it?

doris2008

Visit site
Lol...you must all feel really sorry for the POOR horses who live out all year!!!

I wouldn't have a problem with it. My fully clipped tb is out from 6.30 til around 5 depending on whether someone brings him in for me. If they don't he comes in around6 ish.
He is well rugged so is warm & snug & does not seem the slightest bit bothered.
I think people presume that because it is dark then they have to bring their horses in, I know my yard does, but I always feel it is more for the owners convenience than the horses!

I don't agree with the person who said that a clipped horse should come in at lunchtime as this is enough turnout either!!! Providing a horse is adequatley rugged & is in good condition there is no reason to keep it cooped up all day in a stable!!

ace123

Visit site
Mine go out between 7am and 9am depends on work but they have to come in by 4pm as we have to take on road ( very short distance) but won't do it in the dark....so i leave out if its dry

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think people presume that because it is dark then they have to bring their horses in, I know my yard does, but I always feel it is more for the owners convenience than the horses!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree actually. Many of the accidents that happen (especially during the winter time) are around the gateways - horses that come in at a regular time getting antsy if they are left later etc., or just jostling for postion.

Also, once you get to a certain time of year we all know how much grass is left - very little. And in many fields none.

To me it seems eminently sensible to bring horses in in the daylight because of the safety aspects, and it has nothing to do with convenience. It would be easier and far less stressful for me to bring my horse in in the dark - around 5 ish. But I make a massive effort to get to the yard by 4.30 so I can do my horse in the daylight.

We have horses that winter out on my yard - and of course some of the problems we encounter with horses comming in each evening are not a problem for them. I.e. They have no expectation of comming in. Have adlib haylage in the field. And do not hang around the gateways waiting.