What to add to diet of a horse on ryegrass?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ludo's grazing is now mostly rye, his haylage is made from mostly rye and I'm pretty sure most grass nuts I can get at suppliers round here are rye.

I'm concerned about the lack of diversity in his diet. What would you add, if anything?

I should add, he can't eat alfalfa or linseed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oily herbs (thyme, oregano and rosemary) as per recommended by Equibiome would be a good start, along with a selection of other dried meadow herbs and plants such as hawthorn, dandelion, nettle, cleavers and marigold.

I'm currently feeding a wheelbarrow full of partially wilted freshly pulled cleavers and nettles a day to my 3 :).

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
D&H do a hedgerow herbs mix.

Copied from the site…

Composition:

Nettle and mint – support healthy skin, coat, and immune system.
Dandelion, thyme, and red clover head – provide a variety of diets and promote health and wellbeing.
Oregano and rosehips – sources of natural antioxidants.

Not too expensive either.

ycbm

Visit site
Interesting TP. I'm hand grazing him right now because the fields have been sprayed and he's in for a few days, and he is taking dandelion and leaves from oak trees.

Do you know of any commercial mixes available of good herbs?

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For those feeding nettles just be careful as they are high in iron and many horses don’t need extra. Cleavers are excellent for water retention so those with filled legs or animals on box rest.
Thanks for that, I'll ease up on the nettles. All the hedgerows round here are overrun with cleavers at the moment, the horses love it.

DD6C34DB-7399-431B-BDE0-98B38933EC05.jpeg

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
FWIW you can buy emerald green online direct from them if you were that way inclined, they use fescue in the standard pellets i think, meadow magic may contain other stuff. they're great to deal with, IME.

Both Emerald green and Dengie use fescue as the grass in their chops but still not exactly diverse.

A lot of cleavers at the moment and Hawthorn, Cow Parsley is just finishing here but may still be around where you are. I do a little handgrazing in case Tigger finds things not in the fields and he goes crazy for the reeds that grow by the pond.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Would anyone mind sharing a close up photo of cleavers? I'm currently feeding nettles (and the only herbs) but would keen to feed cleavers too I'm just not confident I'd recognise it!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Would anyone mind sharing a close up photo of cleavers? I'm currently feeding nettles (and the only herbs) but would keen to feed cleavers too I'm just not confident I'd recognise it!

Aside from how it looks it's really sticky, also called Sticky grass or Sticky Weed. So that will help you know you've found the right one.

millikins

Visit site
My natives are all on Agrobs Weisencobs. They all love it, even the very fussy old connie and look very well on it. It's not always easy to source, seems expensive but a bag lasts ages.

PurBee

Visit site
If the grazing is mostly ryegrass, and im guessing in summer thats a large chunk of his intake, i’d swap the added rye haylage for mixed grass haylage to add different grasses to his diet.
There’s a lot more haylage companies now in the uk offering mixed grass haylage, than there were even a handful of years ago, and most do pallet deliveries. I’d caution to order 1 bag first to try/check-out before committing to a whole pallet with a new supplier.

PurBee

Visit site
When i asked agrobs what specific plants/grasses were in their mix they said it was a company secret. ? I’ve imported alpine hays from eastern europe and there was significant alpine clover and alfalfa in the mix, so if ludo is very intolerant of alfalfa, i’d email agrobs direct to get them to confirm directly whether or not alfalfa is in the mix.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I fear I might very much be the only weirdo but just a warning to anyone who wants to pick cleavers. I’m incredibly reactive to it and come out in big red welts if it touches bare skin ???‍♀️. Apparently it is a thing for the select few ??‍♀️.

Marigold4

Visit site
I feed mine meadow grass haylage and Thunderbrooks mradow grass chaff with TB meadow nuts. Their grazing is ryegrass so dealing with same problem.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When i asked agrobs what specific plants/grasses were in their mix they said it was a company secret. ? I’ve imported alpine hays from eastern europe and there was significant alpine clover and alfalfa in the mix, so if ludo is very intolerant of alfalfa, i’d email agrobs direct to get them to confirm directly whether or not alfalfa is in the mix.

I can be pretty certain that there is no alfalfa in Weisencobs, our previous Appy couldn't tolerate it and was fine with the cobs. It's not a grass anyway, so the cobs would be misdescribed if they did contain alfalfa, which is a legume.

ycbm

Visit site
Is there a chaff you can suggest with no alfalfa or linseed oil (they are often coated with it to stop them being dusty) but mixed varieties of grasses/ herbs?

ycbm

Visit site
If the grazing is mostly ryegrass, and im guessing in summer thats a large chunk of his intake, i’d swap the added rye haylage for mixed grass haylage to add different grasses to his diet.
There’s a lot more haylage companies now in the uk offering mixed grass haylage, than there were even a handful of years ago, and most do pallet deliveries. I’d caution to order 1 bag first to try/check-out before committing to a whole pallet with a new supplier.

I don't have any option on the haylage, it's made on site.

ycbm

Visit site
My natives are all on Agrobs Weisencobs. They all love it, even the very fussy old connie and look very well on it. It's not always easy to source, seems expensive but a bag lasts ages.

They look really good but I have heard of supply issues too. Does anyone know if this has improved?