What to buy - new member seeks advice (a bit long)

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Hi

I am not a horsey person but for some reason my children are.(don't get me wrong I love them - just don't ride - never have) I have tried very hard to help my children develop their hobby - they have been riding since they were 4/5 and last year I bought them a pony which is stabled locally. Now it seems it is time for them to have a horse each and we are looking for something for my 16 year old. She wants an all rounder - but mostly wants to jump. We have been looking at around 2000 pounds and there do seem to be a few that she could bring on.

The question is am I making a mistake - should I be spending more. She is convinced she could bring a horse on - they have been diy at the stables for a year and I don't help them - they do everything. I am just not sure that I wouldn't be better off getting her something with a bit more experience. What do you think? Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks

Nuala

dieseldog

Visit site
Do you have transport to get to shows? If not she would probably have just as much fun on a less experienced horse as a superstar - as long as it is safe on the roads etc. Depends what you want to do with the horse.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Im 15 and have just got my self a 16'2hh (probs make 16'3hh) Id/Tb Five year old gelding, starting from scratch. I have totaly non horsey parents.
Just get a good instructor. Take an experienced friend who knows your daughters ability to try this young horse, see if she thinks your daughter will be ok.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Yes - we have a trailer and have been showing at local shows all summer. Our pony - Ebony - is a 14 2 Welsh Section D - although very lightweight - and she has done ok. She sometimes refuses to jump - doesn't like slipping. They have a weekly lesson and I sometimes take them to Somerford Park where there are jumps set up.

They want to show!

Nuala

dieseldog

Visit site
I would probably look at horses a bit more expensive then if she is hoping to compete, you might still end up buying the £2k one - but you'll have a bigger choice.

Welcome by the way.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I'd be inclined to spend a bit more and try and get something older with a bit more experience. Theres no need to be looking at world beaters, but your daughter is still young and people on here who have been riding for a lifetime will tell you what incredibly hard work youngsters can be.

Its a healthy interest your daughter has, albeit expensive (!), but all that confidence could be completly shattered with a bad experience with a young horse.

Leave the youngsters for a while and let her gain more experience on something older.

Malibu

Visit site
i am 17, i had when 7 a 12.3 welsh who taught me EVERYTHING he was 15! then at 12 i got a grade a showjumper who is one in a million he was 10 (we got him as a bargin) and i took him to novice eventing )(his and mine first time) now 17 i ahve got a dressage horse 7year old. so depending on her riding skill and horse knowlage, i woudl get her a round about 10 year old, you dont want a horse ot put her off riding for ever but somehitng that can still learn BUT teach her soooooooooooooo much,

every horse i ahve got has taught me so much, a 10 year old all rounder who is most importantly HONEST will teahc her so much and they can progress together, she still has so much to learn and she will have alot of fun

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Thanks everyone - It is so hard to decide what to do when you have no expertise yourself. Jenny has been working at a yard since she was 13 and has brought on two ponies with them so she has some experience. She is calm and laid back and very patient and has done a lot of work with younger children at the yard.

Nuala

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Advertised as 4 yrs old and 'snaffle mouthed' but shown in the picture being ridden in a bubble gag!
shocked.gif

IMHO I would look for something a little more mature.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
You see - that's it exactly - I have no idea what that means - except that the advertisement is obviously slightly misleading. Jenny would know but might not tell me if she fell in love with a horse.

Thanks very much!

Kat1e

Visit site
I was just about to say the same thing- if it's snaffle mouthed, why on earth is it wearing a dutch gag in the photos!
Good luck finding the right horse for your daughter.

summer

Visit site
As someone else said, I would see if you can take someone experienced along with you (and help you sift through adverts). Although your daughter is confident it is all too easy for this to disappear quickly! And, bringing on two ponies with other people is different from doing it on your own.
Ask around, word of mouth is worth its weight in gold. It can be a long process but stick with it. Good Luck!
grin.gif

katiejaye

Visit site
Hiya,

Like your daughter I have parents completely uninterested in horses but have always been willing to let me persue my hobby. My first I was lucky with as he was safe, family cob. However I quickly wanted to progress onto some competition and a horse. At 16 my Dad decided he would help me buy a horse, however, he was very unexperienced as he knew very little. I rode for years and was experienced with horses, I so wanted a horse that I fell in love with the first thing I saw. The result was I fell in love with something completely unsuitable (16.2 TB very green 7 yr old) and had a difficult year with a difficult horse and as a result knocking my confidence!

Second time round I sought advice from a very knowledgeable instructor at my yard and saw lots and lots of horses over quite a few months. I ended up with Louis (my current horse) and although he was young (5) he suited me much better and over the years we have grown and learnt together.

I advise that you find an instructor or knowledgable rider who can asses the ability of your daughter and help her to decide what is best suited to her. I personally would think something a little older (10ish) and a little more money would buy her something safe and something that had some experience that she could learn off.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Last year I really benfited from the fact that a 14 year old girl with non horsey parents had bought a 15:2 very forward going appalloosa mare, and then six months later sold her on as she was too much for her. 30 years ago we tried a 'suitable for novice rider' horse the owners son had taken up football and I'm sure if we'd bought the horse I would have taken up football too! Be very careful not to let your daughter over horse herself.

sevenoceans

Visit site
I too have very non horsey parents... they bought me 16 hands anglo arab for cheap 1500, She was totally nutcase, I was barely 17 at the time only ridden horses for 2 years! But with loads of patience and time, and my bravery, I stayed with her and did everything with her at PC, RC, Show jumping team... thanks to excellent intructors. she had transformed and gave me loads of confidence, Sadly she had passed on. then someone gave me a 12 year old 17 hand exracer to bring back in work after serious tendon damage (i'd never thought i could afford to buy another horse) One year later the owner didn't have the heart to race him again so he gave him to me for good, He is fanastic horse to own... very loyal, have very good manners, My mum (non horsey) adores him and would look after him if i can't which is something i wouldn't do with my old horse. I am now 29.