what to do about dangerous dog walker

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
A while ago there was a farmer having problems with dogs troubling his sheep (public footpath near them). He shot one and all hell broke loose. I was out for a walk in the forest with my boys when I saw a dog chasing a calf which was only a few days old.

The owner was just standing there calling the dog, which was not responding. I emailed our local paper and they ran a story about problem dogs chasing livestock. Maybe worth you doing the same as well. The problem of you hitting the dogs with a crop is giving her ammunition against you and I'm not sure that would get the dog off anyway.

I hope you manage to get the problem resolved promptly before there is an accident. Dogs should be under control near livestock. I'm sure there would be uproar if horse riders let their animals gallop wildly at humans!!!!

Dubsie

Visit site
Riding at them works really well. Five years ago my daughter, on her newly acquired pony was harassed by two golden retrievers while on her first hack on New Pony. They'd been let off the lead at the top of the road by the owner and were on their way home and long out of sight of the owner, and I think thought it was a fun big dog to play with. I was with her and tried to get the dogs away by calling etc, and throwing sticks but to no avail. New Pony bolted and daughter had to ditch - which stopped the dogs from chasing the pony, fortunately a walker caught the pony and the dogs didn't know what to do. Dog owner just clipped leads on and walked away without saying a thing..

However after a few more incidents (dog walkers round here do not use leads on quiet lanes as there is not much traffic and we are a route from estate to dog walking park) we discovered that if you ride AT the dogs they are very frightened, and turn tail.

So ever since this is what she does when dogs get yappy and try to chase. I've even done this myself with a loose dog (and I am not a rider really I just sit on the pony every now and then) However woe betide any dog that gets into our field (double fence and some is electric). Last one was cornered in our stable yard and then chased at speed - and I mean real speed, I really thought he was going to catch him, out of the field by the pony, as he now thinks it is a fun thing to chase dogs. Do you think I need to put up a warning sign? (Dogs can't read and owners couldn't care less)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Dog warden. The dangerous dog act covers this sort of behaviour. She is probably known to them already. Off lead lurcher that are out of control will have plenty of history.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I often considered carrying a water pistol but not filled with water - my recipe would be tabasco sauce watered down a bit with vinegar. Aim for the eyes. I never got around to trying it unfortunately but I reckon a clean shot on target would be quite a deterrant (and if you happen to get the owner too...) :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I often considered carrying a water pistol but not filled with water - my recipe would be tabasco sauce watered down a bit with vinegar. Aim for the eyes. I never got around to trying it unfortunately but I reckon a clean shot on target would be quite a deterrant (and if you happen to get the owner too...) :)

Yes I've done similar with the "pack" from next door if I've had trouble. My version was an old detergent bottle (with some still left in the bottom) and ditto above...... hadn't thought of the tabasco & vinegar missile tho' - might try this one!

Merrymoles

Visit site
We occasionally have problems with the nearby farm dogs (one terrier, one lab) who erupted from the end of a long drive and chase us. My horse is scared and shoots off but my friend's lashes out of them. As both of us would be upset if either dog was hurt, we now tend to turn to face them and shout at them - doesn't need to be abuse but along the lines of "sit down you bad dog" tends to make them slink off.

I would report to the dog warden and/or police but certainly don't threaten the owner. At the moment, you are completely in the right but if you swear at her, tempting as that may be, you put yourself in the wrong. A head cam is a good idea too as you can show the authorities exactly what the issue is.

Last edited:

serenityjane

Visit site
Loose dogs have constistently run out at my family, dogs (on leads) and horses in a threatening manner (ie barking, snarling and attacking our dogs-but fortunately they just bark at the horses) from a house near us- we have reported it to both the dog warden (chocolate kettle- if you could even get hold of him) and the police, apparently according to our local constabulary last year, nothing can be done by them until a human (not dog or horse) is injured as a result. They advised us to take another route.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I work for a parish council and have recently done a lot of detective work regarding out-of-control dogs as we have had a huge increase in complaints.

The police can use laws designed to tackle anti-social behaviour to prosecute those who refuse to keep dogs under control in a public place. I would contact your local PCSO for advice but I would also tell the lady that you are reporting her under the Dangerous Dogs Act next time she lets it happen and warn her that she could be fined or have her dogs taken away if she doesn't keep them under control.

FairyLights

Visit site
you need to contact the BHS. They ahve given me very good advice about a similar problem. Also tell the police.
if you believe the dog is going to attack you \nd not just the horse then something can be done also if the dogs spook the horse on a road/lane then its a ptraffic offence. I've had good results from the Police getting involved with dog walkers who dontr control their dogs. Do please speak to the BHS 02476 840500

hackneylass2

Visit site
Report to police and get a hat cam.
A friend of mine's horse was repeatedly hassled and nipped by a JRT and Border Terrier type on a bridleway. She reported both incidents (this was before hatcams) Dogs were off leads. owner no control but said sorry on two occaisions. Third time the horse kicked and killed the JRT outright. Cue dog owner taking my friend to court for having a 'dangerously out of control, vicious horse'. My friend produced substantial vets bills for treatment of an infected puncture would inflicted by the dog and although the whole incident was very stressfull she won the day plus damages. Her horse was the whole season unable to compete though, so neither side were really winners..... so I would do all you can to stop this scenario escalating.

Barnacle

Visit site
Don't take any advice that could lead to the dogs actually being injured... You could get in just as much trouble as her. I would dismount when I saw her next and confront her face to face on the ground. I would calmly and politely explain just how dangerous the situation is and that it's not just her dogs at risk. You could be severely injured, even be killed and so could your horse. She could also end up being trampled. Explain that you don't mean to be rude but you are simply afraid. People normally get that... you might need to be much more humble and apologetic than you feel... I mean, she is obviously very irresponsible and the one in the wrong. But an approach like this might make her realise that while being very confrontational will likely just fuel her denial.

twiggy2

Visit site
Don't take any advice that could lead to the dogs actually being injured... You could get in just as much trouble as her. I would dismount when I saw her next and confront her face to face on the ground. I would calmly and politely explain just how dangerous the situation is and that it's not just her dogs at risk. You could be severely injured, even be killed and so could your horse. She could also end up being trampled. Explain that you don't mean to be rude but you are simply afraid. People normally get that... you might need to be much more humble and apologetic than you feel... I mean, she is obviously very irresponsible and the one in the wrong. But an approach like this might make her realise that while being very confrontational will likely just fuel her denial.

Good advice

planete

Visit site
I discovered that most dogs stop going for the horse if you dismount, stand still and face them quietly, unless they are human aggressive which is very rare. This should keep you and the horse safe but report her to the dog warden and get in touch with the BHS as said earlier. You can try explaining the danger you, your horse and the dogs are in because of her lack of control but it is usually a waste of breath. I have had lurchers for years and I tear my hair out at the "these dogs need to run I cannot keep them on a lead!" owners. I drive miles and pay to find safely enclosed places for the nutty ones to run in!