what to do about dangerous dog walker

poglet1991

Visit site
Hi everyone I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation. On the whole the dog walkers in our area are brilliant with the horses. However one lady is a nightmare. She has 5 lurcher type dogs only 2 are ever on the lead and the other 3 come flying at the horses and nip their legs. I've been really polite, we always stand still and move to one side for her to pass but she has no control and they chase and nip the horses. Once she's passed they will often run away from her and chase us through the woods. I always ask if she can get them on a lead and she replies that it will teach them a lesson to be kicked! My gelding won't kick he just trys to run away, he's been nipped by them 3 times now and is getting nervous of all dogs as a result. I don't know her details to report her. Do you think a hat cam would help? Thanks

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Hi everyone I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation. On the whole the dog walkers in our area are brilliant with the horses. However one lady is a nightmare. She has 5 lurcher type dogs only 2 are ever on the lead and the other 3 come flying at the horses and nip their legs. I've been really polite, we always stand still and move to one side for her to pass but she has no control and they chase and nip the horses. Once she's passed they will often run away from her and chase us through the woods. I always ask if she can get them on a lead and she replies that it will teach them a lesson to be kicked! My gelding won't kick he just trys to run away, he's been nipped by them 3 times now and is getting nervous of all dogs as a result. I don't know her details to report her. Do you think a hat cam would help? Thanks

I would do a bit of detective work re who she is, and then report to the police (and council also)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would not be polite anymore and I would tell her how dangerous it can be to let her dogs attack horses, and I would be carrying a large stick and the dogs would get a wallop with it if it happened again, a friend of mine lost her horse due to two dogs attacking her when she was on a hack, the horse bolted rider fell of and the horse smashed into a metal gate and broke her leg and she was pts at the side of the road.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Totally agree...time to stop being nice... Report her to the police and local dog warden... If the dogs are running amok, amidst horses, they could so easily do the same to a child... And I agree carry a long schooling whip and use it to protect yourself and your horse..

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I would carry a hunting whip and give them a good wack.

^^^^ This.

Also report to local council, police & dog warden.

Just an idea...... and something which I had to do recently with three dogs coming at my horses when I was out with a friend, and that is to ride straight at the dogs in attack mode, like you really really mean it (coz you bleddi do basically!). Tell her that you will do it, and do it. This is merely utilising your horse's own protective/instinctive mechanism and is exactly what horses would naturally do in the wild, i.e. the dominant mares would attack any stray dingo's/wolves etc and as a group drive them off. My mare is brilliant at it, ignores my dogs but will chase anyone elses.

If you do this, and her dogs do get trampled, then she has been warned by you on numerous occasions about her dogs and has chosen to ignore it. So basically, IMO you would be perfectly entitled to ride your horse(s) at the dogs in this way.

poglet1991

Visit site
I'd like to report her but I don't know who she is, I'm trying to find out but not having any luck and she doesn't have a particular time or day that she walks them. I do carry a schooling whip and hit them but they don't seem to care! My previous mare kicked one and they still run at the horses. Is it worth reporting it even though I have no idea who she is. I screamed at her to get them on a lead today and she just walked past not a care in the world :-(

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes report it as if there is an incident later you have evidence, also they may have had others report it or know who she is, ask in local pub if you want to track her down.
Its up to police to find out who she is though, not yours.
Can you get photo of her?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OK so if you don't know who she is then I'd be inclined to beg borrow or steal a headcam.

Wear it, and tell her you're wearing it, and then invite her to give you her contact details, if she doesn't then tell her that you will be passing on the headcam material to the relevant authorities as you are so concerned about her dogs behaviour.

Headcam is your only way forward methinks, unless you can have a word with other dog walkers or riders in the locality who might know who she is??

Bleddi woman, people like this shouldn't have dogs.

Mrs G

Visit site
A hat cam video is a v good idea, video evidence holds a lot of sway! There is a thread on here currently about hat cams, you can get ones on eBay for £35+. If you know when you are likely to see her could you have someone on foot with you who could follow her back to her car/house. Then you could report her? Def think you've been more than reasonable so far and the situation is getting more risky.

Last edited:

zaminda

Visit site
Most definitely report her. Even if it is only so that it is in record. This will help so that if/when someone is injured the police know. Make sure you get a reference number though, as I have had problems with getting the police to take note of things like this.
I would also say that a hat cam would be a great idea. If you continue to have problems with her, I would say you need to be less sympathetic. I have turned and chased dogs off before, and I found it works well. Good luck, and make sure you can get someone to take it seriously! Plus report to BHS think they have a dog incident page.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
I would be careful if you take a less sympathetic view though, if you want to use your hat cam footage as evidence as she might say that you harassed her.
I would ask around at other local yards also - someone will know her - ask on Facebook also. I bet other riders have come across her too.

poglet1991

Visit site
Riding straight at them is actually a really good idea!! I'd never thought of that! I think I'm going to buy a hat cam then at least I can get her face on camera. I'll report it tomorrow :) it's such a shame because I've never had problems with any of the other dog walkers around here, this lady just seems completely oblivious that she's doing anything wrong!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Hi everyone I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation. On the whole the dog walkers in our area are brilliant with the horses. However one lady is a nightmare. She has 5 lurcher type dogs only 2 are ever on the lead and the other 3 come flying at the horses and nip their legs. I've been really polite, we always stand still and move to one side for her to pass but she has no control and they chase and nip the horses. Once she's passed they will often run away from her and chase us through the woods. I always ask if she can get theim on a lead and she replies that it will teach them a lesson to be kicked! My gelding won't kick he just trys to run away, he's been nipped by them 3 times now and is getting nervous of all dogs as a result. I don't know her details to report her. Do you think a hat cam would help? Thanks

When she states that it will teach the dogs a lesson if the horses kicked, reply " yes, but will learn your lesson when one of them ends up with a fractured pelvis & you have a bill of £1000 courtesy of your vets?"

sunnyone

Visit site
A dog who nips horses heels will always nip them, given half a chance. One I knew tried Percheron heels, lost most of its teeth in the process, but still went back for more.

Riding in the same field with that dog, before I knew what it was like, it nipped my mares heel, she kicked back whilst we were cantering. I came off and had a night in hospital! Could have been worse, I think.

My OH rides at them if they are a nuisance, and as yet, we have had no incidents as they turn for home sharpish.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
As others have said, report to bhs, council, dog warden and police.
under the dangerous dogs act, it is an offence not to keep a dog under control in a public place.

To put it another way, please don't wait till someone gets hurt, perhaps not you, but a child out riding.

lhotse

Visit site
Somebody was killed a few weeks ago when a dog out of control starting nipping his horse's legs. The rider with him suffered a broken collar bone when they were both thrown from their horses. The woman dog owner walked away.
Report it to the police and dog warden, and make sure she knows that you have done that too. Under the new laws, she could be taken to court for endangering your life, even though the dog is not directly attacking you.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Take a nice long whip and ride at HER!! Tell her if she doesn't keep her dogs under control you are going to give HER and good hiding and have her dogs shot. Throw in lots of swear words, wave the whip in her face and take her out if you need to! GET ANGRY and demand respect and action.
Good luck.

JustKickOn

Visit site
If they're nipping, I would be carrying a long whip and give the dog a whack. My mare would kick out but other horses are more reserved! I'd also give your local police station a call on their general number and see what they say. If the dogs are behaving dangerously, they will want to know.

Boxers

Visit site
N
Take a nice long whip and ride at HER!! Tell her if she doesn't keep her dogs under control you are going to give HER and good hiding and have her dogs shot. Throw in lots of swear words, wave the whip in her face and take her out if you need to! GET ANGRY and demand respect and action.
Good luck.

Please DONT do the above.

I really hope this was posted 'tongue in cheek'

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Headcam. Report her. Tell her you're reporting her. Ride at the dogs. Get off and go nuts at her while taking photos. You're entitled to have a peaceful ride.

Tern

Visit site
When you hit the dogs are you just tapping them? I would be freaking smacking them (not over and over just once) or backing my horse up quickly as they are nipping so they get trodden on or something. She sounds like a silly cow who needs a reality check.

WelshD

Visit site
Speak to the dog warden, they may very well know who she is but even if they dont they may be able to offer some advice

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
When you hit the dogs are you just tapping them? I would be freaking smacking them (not over and over just once)

Unfortunately if they are lurcher types this is likely to just make them worse. Having had greyhounds and lurchers once they are over-excited pain will not stop them but almost seems to encourage them, even a bad injury isn't always enough to make them stop chasing something until the adrenalin goes down. Breaking the chase pattern IS effective, such as riding directly at them like others have mentioned. A friend had a lot of success in a similar situation with a local farm dog using a strong water pistol (obviously need to check horse is okay with it first).

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The law states that dogs must be under control when in a public place i.e public highway or public right of way.
Report the incident to the police and tell them that you were in fear of being attacked - they must then take action.
Always ask for an incident number when reporting to the police to ensure it is logged in to the system.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
The law states that dogs must be under control when in a public place i.e public highway or public right of way.
Report the incident to the police and tell them that you were in fear of being attacked - they must then take action.
Always ask for an incident number when reporting to the police to ensure it is logged in to the system.

^^^this

Spreebok

Visit site
Riding at them is always a good one as stated, I've had to do it plenty of times in the nearby woods, to everything from yappy, nippy KC Spaniels to a hulking great staffy/pit looking thing that was tailing us.

Funnily enough the spaniels were the worst, as their owner completely ignored me asking for him to call his dogs back, as I was heading up a separate path and they were following right under my mares feet, one hoof out of place and they'd have been toast!