What to do about Horsebox?

NooNoo59

Visit site
Just asking for some input as cant decide what to do atm. I have a 6.5t Iveco stalled for 2 which I like driving but it does have a corrosion issue on the chassis, the mot has run out and I have sorned it atm. Do I get a new chassis and transfer the body over which is very nice and well built, or just sell it for what i can get for it and buy something newer. It has hardly been used this last year but this last year cannot be classed as normal! I like having a lorry but this one which I bought with an inheritance had lots of nasty shocks and has cost me a lot of money in 3 years to keep it on the road. I dont want to spend huge amounts of money but do have funds. Do i swap it in for a newer one? Also I do like the slightly heavier lorries as I can then take a friend if we ever get to go out again. Has anyone been in a similar situation and made decisions good or bad?
Thanks for reading

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It's a difficult one to answer. Is the lorry chassis a terminal case, is there too much welding to make it viable? Also it the bodywork in good condition & worthy of being changed to a newer chassis? You'll need to check on prices to do both those jobs & that may well make your mind up for you. A few years ago I had a 7.5 ton Daf 45 & it was starting to rust in the usual places. The horse area was in great condition so I thought of changing the chassis. While finding about this I decided that in my case it couldn't be done, there was so much involved in doing it. My DAF 45 had a much lower cab than almost anything I'd considered. The lorry had a Luton over the cab & if I was to fit it to another more modern lorry I'd have to cut away the Luton for it to fit. It wasn't financially viable. I had repairs done to the lorry & sold it at a reasonable price. I then bought another lorry, 4 years newer, aluminium body, 2.2 ton payload and a more powerful 180hp engine. The only way to work out what you need is to check on prices for each option.

NooNoo59

Visit site
So here are my 3 options:
Sell with no mot for what I can get for it and buy a 4 wheel drive and trailer
Get it mot'd and keep on running it
Trade it in against a much newer version which is going to cost but that would probably be the last box I would have to buy as am now 62! Going to look at Peper Harow tomorrow and see how much money I would need to spend for a new build, they have said they would take mine in part ex which moves it on without any effort on my part.
My horse is rising 7 we were going out for lessons at least once a week before Covid but this last year we have been grounded. I want to go out more this year, but it is still a lot of money for Mrs Amateur to spend!
Anyone else have any experiences?

I'm Dun

Visit site
I agree with the other comment. You need to know the exact figures before you make a decision. But there is also an element of what will make you happy. Life isnt always about the most sensible option

NooNoo59

Visit site
I agree with the other comment. You need to know the exact figures before you make a decision. But there is also an element of what will make you happy. Life isnt always about the most sensible option
Oooh I like your thinking I lost my husband last year very suddenly and there is a level of life is too short but also I dont like parting with my money too easily!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
It all depends if the lorry was coach built or the container is designed to be removed by just unbolting it from the chassis.

If it is coach built then I would not bother as it would be too labour intensive.

If it was just bolted on then all you need to do is find an identical chassis cab and transfer it to that.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OH swapped one coach built to another chassis... he is a pro at jobs like that but I think he would not do another one!

I'd see what you'd be looking at £-wise if you were to trade in and get a new one, since that's a possibility.

Cowpony

Visit site
I bought a very nice Peper Harow box a couple of years ago. It wasn't new, but they had built it for a lady who then sadly fell I'll and didn't use it, so I got a bargain! They are lovely boxes and I see a lot of them around at shows.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I would look at 3.5 ton ones, and as you, like me are ‘old’ sorry, get an updated one to 3.9 ton or 4.2 ton so you can take a friend too.. Thoes sort of small lorries are more sellable

EventingMum

Visit site
I hate not having a lorry but in all honesty, I wouldn't use it enough to warrant keeping one now but I did love our last one. I have got a 4x4 and trailer which is fine for when I need to transport horses but if I was out and about regularly I would definitely want a lorry due to the convenience and comfort. I am only 5 years younger than you and have reached the stage in life where if something would make me happy and I can afford it then I tend to get it. It sounds as if you would get plenty of use out of it so in your position I would be tempted to replace it and enjoy a newer lorry!