What to do after all fall?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Took my boys to a small show yesterday and was doing really well (won every class)

However on the last class my more experienced show jumper got the practise fence totally wrong with a pole between the legs and we both ended up on the floor. I have a mild concussion and black eye, and he is a little stiff but otherwise no cuts or scraps.

So me aside, how quickly would you bring him back into work and how long before I try and jump him again?

He is not lame, but I want to give him a few days off, because if he is anywhere as stiff as me, he needs it. Also mildly concerned this has put him off - anyone had experience with horses falling?

Taz975

Visit site
Glad your both okay,
By all means give him a few days off if you like, let him wander around the field but then Id bring him back into work as before, book a jumping lesson sooner rather than later, with someone experienced, explain what happened etc. and let them tell you how to introduce him to jumping again, Im sure he'll be fine!
Its happened to me with one before, afterwards she was a little tentative for the first jump afterwards, but then was totally happy again.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I would wait untill you're feeling better, concussion takes longer than you think!!.. By the time you're feeling better, he probably will be too!!
Whenever you next chose to jump again, start small, and probably keep it small for a few days!!
Listen to him.. either he'll feel confidante or he wont!!

hunteress

Visit site
I would give it a little more time I fell off Hunting (not like me just one of those things like you,) and blacked out for about 3 mins took me at least 10 days to not feel as though I had cotton wool head . Probably get a McTimoney person out to give your horse the once over, good luck.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Hope you both feel better soon x

When May and I fell SJ, we had a few days off then loose schooled to double check she was ok, then worked up to a schooling session, then went and popped some fences in the field. She backed off at first, and would'nt take any on a long one. Then took her to an unaffiliated small class, she was still backing off, but after the JO, was back to normal again!

Just go slowly and surely. He will let you know if something is'nt right.

eventingdiva

Visit site
As im getting over from concussion myself (horse reared and came down on my head and shoulder) GO TO BED! my accident was 11 days ago and this is only the second night i've been up since 9pm havent havent got the most amazing headache (well, so far...)
glad your both ok though x

ElleJS

Visit site
My youngish mare and I fell SJ in a lesson when we slid on a water tray placed by the corner before a fence and went completely over! She scraped the back of her leg, but she was sound and it was very superficial. Had an advanced event the next day! Never had fallen ever before! She was fine and jumped a lovely clear, didn't feel any difference! It was me that was more rattled i think!
I would say horses are tougher than u think, mine suprised me at her toughness. next time you jump start low and easy but feel confident so the horse feels that from you and you will have no problems I'm sure.

spooks

Visit site
our pony fell at her first ever sj comp, she had only been jumping 6 weeks, was a freak accident , the top pole came up hit her in the chest and then front feet came down on the pole ,she never stood a chance of staying upright. she damaged her stifle so had a week or 2 of then we just started her on small jumps and built her up again, she was fine with this but was a lot more careful.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would give the horse a few days off in the field to work off any stiffness. Then just do flatwork for a maybe 3/4 days first to check the horse is ok then Id try popping a fence but just small to begin with just to be sure the horse hasn't given herself a scare! It is horrid when they fall jumping. Ive had it happen maybe 3 times and I always felt so guilty afterwards!

Rambo

Visit site
My boy turned a somersault in the warm-up in August
frown.gif
The vet came the next day and ordered box rest for a week, with two butes a day until then. He then had an extended break as the summer had taken it's toll on him. He certainly remembers his fall, and has been a little hesitant at oxers since so we have stepped him right down (20cm or so !) and are just now trying to build our confidence back again. He's getting there but it's worth taking time to do it
smile.gif
They remember a lot more than we realise...