What to do if...

emilylou

Visit site
You left a bucket of dry sugar beet on the yard and your dog ate it? Do I need to rush to the vets or will he just be sick?
I know the main reason this is such a problem with horses is because they can't be sick, so will the naughty pup throw up and be okay or should I be taking it more seriously?
Any first-hand experiences appreciated.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would ring the vet, the problem is that the beet swells in the stomach, as the fluids in the system reach it. It's not as bad as for a horse but i would want a professional opinion, depending on how much the dog ate/how big the dog is.

Louby

Visit site
No first hand experience but personally if hes eaten a bucket full I'd be contacting a vet, purely because it swells. Hope your pups ok

SEL

Visit site
Can't comment for a dog but with a horse I got told to keep an eye on him for 24 hours. Plus a better lock on the feed room. I would check with a vet.

Potea

Visit site
I'd call the vet too. Ours will often assess and advise over the phone and at least you've got peace of mind :)

Hope he's feeling better soon!

emilylou

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. He didnt show any signs of discomfort so we opted to wait it out. Then he did exactly the same as Fabydo's dog. Pooed and pooed! He is a GSD X lab so rather large, I had measured the SB into the bucket before leaving it on the floor so I worked out he ate the equivalent of a large coffee mug. He went on a run with me in the woods today and is back to his usual mischief!