What to do?! Livery yards

sidsmum

Visit site
I am not too sure what to do yard wise - to move or not to move.

The yard I am on has a wonderful team who really cares for the horses and run a tight ship where nothing is too much. But the part livery has shot up by quite a substantial amount and the land (like many others this winter!) is suffering and the horses haven't been out for nearly two weeks, although they have been rotated in a sand pen and horse walker.

The other place, (let's call it yard B) I am considering is about the same cost but is full livery not part. They are on sand based land and have been turning out every day.

Travel wise it works out about the same.

My horse recently had laminitis and she is getting on well where she is weight wise and with soaking hay etc. Yard B beds them on straw and I would worry she would gorge herself on straw?

My worry in moving her is that it could upset her weight/set off laminitis, but I also don't like the fact that she hasn't been out in a paddock for two weeks.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We are basically at yard A but it’s full livery. It’s not ideal the turnout situation but it works for us, they are going out more now it’s drier. But it was very Limited over winter, they also go on the walker, sand pen or arena twice a day. Ours were off the fields for about 10 days as we had awful rain for days and we are on clay. The horses were ridden most days too in addition to horse walker and turnout pen/arena. It’s frustrating but we have no yard B option. It’s a great set up for us otherwise!

Yard B sounds good for turnout but i would find out:
1) Can you change the bedding to shavings/pellets etc as yes they will probably eat the straw
2) can you limit the grass for your horse? You may find being out all day every day is too much
3) what are you getting extra at yard B? Exercise? Feed etc?

Personally if laminitis is a real risk I’d stick with yard A. A lot of yards have struggled this year and I’ve never known it this bad! I don’t know anywhere near us that have been turning out all winter

sidsmum

Visit site
We are basically at yard A but it’s full livery. It’s not ideal the turnout situation but it works for us, they are going out more now it’s drier. But it was very Limited over winter, they also go on the walker, sand pen or arena twice a day. Ours were off the fields for about 10 days as we had awful rain for days and we are on clay. The horses were ridden most days too in addition to horse walker and turnout pen/arena. It’s frustrating but we have no yard B option. It’s a great set up for us otherwise!

Yard B sounds good for turnout but i would find out:
1) Can you change the bedding to shavings/pellets etc as yes they will probably eat the straw
2) can you limit the grass for your horse? You may find being out all day every day is too much
3) what are you getting extra at yard B? Exercise? Feed etc?

Personally if laminitis is a real risk I’d stick with yard A. A lot of yards have struggled this year and I’ve never known it this bad! I don’t know anywhere near us that have been turning out all winter
Thank you. I will have to ask if I can buy in shavings - if I can then that would probably sway me to be honest.
She goes out with a grazing muzzle and the grass is less rich at yard B than at yard A (although currently there's not much grass at yard A as it's clay based and very wet!)
Feed is included at yard B and not at yard A, but she gets very little so it's a neglible difference really.

I will have a chat with my farrier too and see what he thinks in regards to any laminitis risk.

Appreciate your reply - thank you!