what to do,what to do?

SarahRicoh

Visit site
Atm.i have a 14.3hh ish on lwvtb.. I love him to bits and i took.him.on knowing hes a project.. That parts not a problem.. But he needs someone who wants to compete and school.him seriously. I want a horse to mainly hack on,local shows and just have fun...

Do i keep him and keep working with him and hope he'll desensitise and become what i want?

Or give him back and search for somethingvon loan/lwvtb thats more what i want?

Or go horseless for a bit to save up some money and buy an arab like iv always wanted!!

Im just so impulsive and rubbish at making decisions :(

SamanthaUK

Visit site
Atm.i have a 14.3hh ish on lwvtb.. I love him to bits and i took.him.on knowing hes a project.. That parts not a problem.. But he needs someone who wants to compete and school.him seriously. I want a horse to mainly hack on,local shows and just have fun...

Do i keep him and keep working with him and hope he'll desensitise and become what i want?

Or give him back and search for somethingvon loan/lwvtb thats more what i want?

Or go horseless for a bit to save up some money and buy an arab like iv always wanted!!

Im just so impulsive and rubbish at making decisions :(

Anyway, answer to your questions. I suggest you keep with him. Maybe one day you'll want to compete and event which would suit the horse and yourself.
However, If you are certain you just want a hacker, send him back, get a hacker. At least that way someone who wants to compete can have him.

Good luck whatever you do. :D

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this but why does he need someone who competes and schools seriously? I know we as owners are always worried about wasting a horse's potential, but the horse doesn't know what it 'could' be doing, it only knows what it is doing. What makes you think he needs more? Unless he's showing by his behaviour that he's definitely unhappy and there's no other possible cause for the unhappiness, I would say what the hell! If the two of you are good together go with it! :)

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Mmmm.. If I knew it was more work than I wanted I would probably try and get another lwvtb that's more what I want but if your anything like me ... My boy was a lot more work than I wanted then I got myself a good instructor and got such a buzz training him and getting results that I kept him!

And then you have got to find a nice laid back hacking Arab?!? Lol

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this but why does he need someone who competes and schools seriously? I know we as owners are always worried about wasting a horse's potential, but the horse doesn't know what it 'could' be doing, it only knows what it is doing. What makes you think he needs more? Unless he's showing by his behaviour that he's definitely unhappy and there's no other possible cause for the unhappiness, I would say what the hell! If the two of you are good together go with it! :)

I do think this sometimes! Lol..

SarahRicoh

Visit site
Its not that i think hes got too much potential... He needs proper schooling to get him to concentrate.
If i do my usual w/t/c schooling with figures eight,change reins transitions etc hes hollow tense and unhappy.. I did some lateral/pole/gridwork other day and he was so much better...

This is fine but he needs that every day and although he hacks he doesnt really seem.to enjoy it. He needs someone whosxserious about competing and likes riding properly.

I lovecriding bareback/hacking out and exploring/occasional summershows but mainly hacking/long distance! I thought that hed be able to do this with potential for more serious competing if i wanted too...
Hes just not happy doing what i want and i dont know if i am either :(

But his owner prob wont want him back and i feel awful giving up on him :'(

Spiritedly

Visit site
How much to you vary what you do with him? only it may not have been that enjoyed the grid work etc more just that he enjoyed doing something different. Try doing a pros and cons list if you can't decide what to do for the best and remember lwvtb is just that a view to buy you don't have to buy him if it doesn't feel right that's the purpose of the loan.

LaurenM

Visit site
I wouldn't say you were impulsive, more indecisive to be honest :) If I were the owner of your loan pony I would like to know straight away about any doubts. Life is too short to worry.

Natz88

Visit site
The fact your having so much doubt about him, I think that really answers your question. We have these horses to enjoy & if your feeling he is not for you then I would send him back, as you don't want to buy him then start regret it. Let us no what you decide :)

SarahRicoh

Visit site
Iv emailed his owner today as she emailed to see how hes getting on!

Im very indecisive its my worst trait :(
I vary hisxwork a lot.. Its not just that he enjoyed it-its hard to explain... Hes a very complex pony and although i love him i think you have a point spiritedly about the view to buy part..

I just feel bad as owners lovely and everyones passed him on and noones seemed to have ever clicked with him and i dont want him to be let down again :(

I just think.i.prefer having a youngster and breaking them in. You get an amazing bond and its all done your way and its so rewarding :)

LaurenM

Visit site
I dont necessarily agree with being able to achieve an amazing bond more with youngsters. I think that its past owners that can make or ruin a horse.

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
I think you've kind of answered your own question by stating he is not what you want BUT if he does everything you want him to do, is sensibel, sand and easy to do who says he 'needs' to be competed seriously. As long as he is capable of what you want why not go for it. you never know, if he has the ability to take you further you might want to take him up on that one day :)

Arizahn

Visit site
My Arab is laid back and enjoys hacking...I regularly drop items near her and flap bits of cloth, paper etc, no problems.

Not all Arabs are the stereotype;)

ausipaliboi

Visit site
Sounds to me like you have answered at least one of your questions. You don't own him and already can see he is not suitable to exactly what you want so why waste more time and money on it.

Don't get stuck with a horse you don't really want just because you feel sorry for his owners. They put themselves in the position of owning him. You have given it a shot so I see no reason why you should feel bad about being honest.

"1 - Do i keep him and keep working with him and hope he'll desensitise and become what i want?

2 - Or give him back and search for somethingvon loan/lwvtb thats more what i want?

3 - Or go horseless for a bit to save up some money and buy an arab like iv always wanted!!"

My answers to your questions -

1 - NO.

2 - YES

3 - POSSIBLE YES

You may find something during your search which will answer both 2 and 3.

Stop feeling bad about being honest, do yourself, the horse and the owners a favour and hand him back. He might just be the horse that the next rider is currently looking for.

EstherYoung

Visit site
How long have you had him?

I don't really think any of us can advise you as you are the one working with him. What is your gut telling you? Do you have the confidence/patience/experience/time to turn this horse into the horse that you want? Do you actually like him and want to spend time with him?

Your hacking arab will need regular schooling too. Unless you go for something a bit older and more experienced, horses don't just arrive as confident hackers.

Fazzie

Visit site
I think you should get an Arab they are fantastic hacking horses and really excel at endurance. Some Arab youngsters are very reasonably priced in the current climate maybe that could be an option? All the arabs I have owned over the years have been truly amazing.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I just think.i.prefer having a youngster and breaking them in. You get an amazing bond and its all done your way and its so rewarding :)
What?! You just want to hack and play at schooling yet want to back a youngster who will need a LOT more work than you seem to want to put in? :confused:

I suggest you go buy a cob.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I can actually see the point about this, my little welshy thrived on hard work - the more she got the happier she was. Just like some humans some animals like to be busy.

SarahRicoh

Visit site
That is the point.. Some horses like to be busy.. He does and by serious schooling (ie. Turn on forehands/leg yields etc) and jumping and getting out and about..

I dont think i should 'get a cob' broke_but_happy...

I didnt say i didnt want to school or put a lot of work in.. I do and i have already with current horse!

Point i was trying to make was i think if i have an older horse i want one thatl be happy doing my sort of work-not unhappy!
Iv had several youngsters and theyve all turned out lovely.. Its not like you just jump on a youngster and start schooling them. Theres loadsa groundwork/in hand walking etc before even on board. Then i like to get my youngsters happy in all paces out hacking first so theyre balanced and forward before bringing in schooling... Therefore i dont see the problem with me getting a baby arab..

Iv come to the conclusion me and my pony just arent suited :( like someonecsaid, if im having doubts...