What to do with a horse who will not be plaited?

Doormouse

Visit site
My friend's 17.2hh wb mare will not be plaited nor can you pull her mane. Twitching makes her far worse and she will simply crush you against the wall or knock you over. She is very big and strong and although not many defeat me, she has!

They have just started competing at some UA dressage and I appreciate that it is incorrect not to be plaited but I'm not sure how we are supposed to plait her as clearly the only way would be to dope her which is not possible or good for the mare on a regular basis.

Any advice, help or tips would be very welcome.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
ACP it and pull/thinning tool until very short or hog it.

What happens if you crush her in the lorry and do it from the other side of the partition. Not an ideal way but if needs must.

Doormouse

Visit site
ACP it and pull/thinning tool until very short or hog it.

What happens if you crush her in the lorry and do it from the other side of the partition. Not an ideal way but if needs must.

We tried the lorry trick, she destroyed the partition and left the lorry! She is 16, has been through the mill a bit over the years from what I can gather (ex show jumper, few bad dealing yards) and she is fully aware of her own strength. When she wants out of a situation she just goes and destroys or jumps anything in her way! Luckily she is very good to ride.

We tried to pull her mane when she was doped by the vet to be clipped but she went bananas and sadly the vet had left by then so couldn't give her anymore. It is currently cut with scissors which doesn't look good at all. May have to hog her, such a shame because it won't suit her at all!

Doormouse

Visit site
Compete unplaited - no rule that says you have to! Get the mane tidy with a razor comb or similar, which shouldn't worry her at all

I thought there was a rule for dressage? If not then that's not so bad.

She won't let you touch her mane with a solo comb or equivalent but is fine to have the mud brushed and yanked out! Very strange mare!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have an old mare (24) who will not have her mane pulled and makes a fuss with a thinning tool. I combed it over to the other side and plaited it. Left it to settle and then tried to pull it on the wrong side - horse never said a word. Work that one out then !

nikkimariet

Visit site
A WB mare? Please don't hog.

We scissor cut ours manes. If you cut upwards into the hair afterwards, it blends in the edges a little.

Doormouse

Visit site
I have an old mare (24) who will not have her mane pulled and makes a fuss with a thinning tool. I combed it over to the other side and plaited it. Left it to settle and then tried to pull it on the wrong side - horse never said a word. Work that one out then !

Mares!!!! Do you know, I might even try this with her, she is that contrary about things it may well work!!!

amandaco2

Visit site
Dont plait and trim mane neatly with comb and scissors.
Id defo not use a lorry to contain her, its not nice to have ones mane pulled if sensitive so hardly going to make her want to load.
if really needed stocks plus lots sedalin....

EmmaB

Visit site
I would just carry on cutting with scissors and cut upwards like nmt says to stop it looking blunt. I do that with parts of my boys mane as half is thick and half is really thin so I can't pull the thin parts or he would go bald.

You could just keep it trimmed quite short and gel/hairspray it for comps to keep it neat?

Lolo

Visit site
Just leave it- we don't plait for much anymore, only eventing, showing, and stuff an owner is coming too! No comments ever made about it, and we've even had a few "very smart" comments

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I used bribery - mine used to be a complete pain in the arse to plait and pull so I had to make it a rewarding experience for her. So after every successful plait, she got a treat. After every 5 successful pulls from her mane, she got a treat. I would try and pull a bit of mane every time I rode so eventually it gets neater (can't get it all done in one go unfortunately). Takes longer and you go through a lot of mints but it's amazing how tolerant she is now! I'm sure I'll be shot down for using treats but frankly we're both happy!

soloequestrian

Visit site
This probably won't work for you because you can't do any of it, but one of mine has a nice long mane that I didn't want to pull. I did an Arab plait for the first six inches or so of his neck, so his jawline could be seen, and plait his forelock and I was quite pleased with how smart it looked. Perhaps combining that with plaiting on the other side might work though?

MagicMelon

Visit site
What a shame for the horse, she's clearly telling you it frigging hurts! Just don't plait, pretty easy IMO. If you're really worried about it, then pass a note to the dressage judge prior to your class starting explaining why you're not plaited and apologising. When I was pregnant and couldn't fit into my show jacket anymore, I just asked someone to tell the judge why I wasn't wearing one, they were perfectly happy.

If you want to neaten the mane, use a rake - I love my one, I trim with scissors (cutting up into it, sort of feathering) and then rake it from underneath to thin it. Doesn't hurt at all. I've never pulled any of my horses manes / tails and all have been plaited many a time so you don't have to pull. Yeah, it won't look as perfect as a pulled mane but personally I'd rather have a happy horse than a neat one!

MillionDollar

Visit site
No rule for plaiting, it's just the done thing. However, about 6 months ago there was a BD judge in H&H that had won with her horse and she does not believe in plaiting! So her horse is unplaited. I've competed BD quite a few times unplaited!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Just don't plait. It's less stress both for the horse and you. Just make sure she is smartly groomed. I've not plaited on occasion if there isn't time or horse is being difficult, and nobody has ever said anything to me.

blitznbobs

Visit site
GO unplaited. I compete a hairy cob up to elementary with BD - there is NO WAY I could plait his 3 foot mane - not a hope... and I just dont worry about it.

Rouletterose

Visit site
A WB mare? Please don't hog.

We scissor cut ours manes. If you cut upwards into the hair afterwards, it blends in the edges a little.

As above

Mine are scissor cut quite short, looks very neat and tidy, horses are happy, if it's good enough for the top show jumpers then it's good enough for mine.

Sol

Visit site
I would definitely either trim with scissors or let grow & see if she will tolerate a simple running plait (can be done in under 5mins & you don't need to 'fiddle' as much, and wont stay tight which might be seen as a bad thing, but if the horse hates it, you'll know). Dan isn't a lover of plaits either, but thankfully isn't that extreme!

spookypony

Visit site
Ditto Sol. My inclination would be to let it grow out and try alternative plaits if she'll tolerate those. For a running plait, you can make it very tight to the neck, but you can also make it much looser, which she might tolerate better. That works much better if the mane is quite long.

_GG_

Visit site
I used to have to groom a horse like this. Was 17.1hh and a WB stallion. I used to have to sit on him and do either a running plait or individual plaits, depending on what the owner wanted.

Not easy but didn't take me long to get used to it. I used to just tuck the forelock back under the headpiece and add it to the plaits and we made a fake forelock plait out of tail hair that we tied around the headpiece so nobody knew any different. He really couldn't care less what I did when I was on him, but if I tried it from the ground I have no doubt that I would not be here today if I tried to force the issue. He could be evil.

rotters13

Visit site
Weirdly my mare is a wretch to plait unless you're playing music. She appears to like Bastille which is quite odd but there we go. She now has her own plaiting playlist... I'm sure it calms me down as well so a double effect!

Goya

Visit site
I had a horse which wouldn't let you plait anywhere near her ears, so I plaited what I could then apologised to the judge as I went around the arena before starting. I felt it was just good manners.